Flank Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ironchef that sounds amazing! I just copied it to my file. I can't wait to try it. I have a bunch of cilantro waiting to be used for something. This sounds like the perfect use!

Ironchef...........this sounds amazing. Question..........can I use EVOO instead of the Corn Oil or does the Corn Oil give it a certain taste? Also, have you used Parsley vs. Cilantro before? Just curious because I don't care for the flavor of Cilantro.

I don't use olive oil for marinades that aren't mediterranean based because it's too strong a flavor. You can use Canola oil instead, or something similar.

Regular parsley will give this marinade too much of a grassy/woody flavor. The cilantro will not overpower this marinade, it's a complimentary flavor to the lime and jalepeno.

In total agreeance with you Goodweed. Only last week we bought a side of beef from our butcher for $3.60/kilo. Total cost was $314.

This included the following: Rump, Porterhouse, T-bones, scotch, Round, Silverside (corned), Undercut, Blade, Skirt, Oyster-blade, Topside, Brisket, Chuck, Shin and Gravy beef. The last 4 we chose to have made into sausages/mince/hamburgers. The dog was also catered for with plenty of bones.

It helps if you are personal friends with the butcher, as the price was close to cost. DH is also a butcher, so our friend just cut it into primals, DH sliced, while I packed and labelled. The total meal count was 127 (there are only 2 of us).

We also used to do this when we owned a butcher shop some years ago. The customer was charged $1/kilo above cost price. That included crumbing of schnitzels, seasoning of roasts, marinating of steaks, sausage making, mincing, packing into meal-size quantities and labelling. All the customer had to to was put it into the freezer. It took nearly all day for about $90 profit. But the customer was happy, and we were the only butcher shop that offered the full service

SizzlininIN said:
AllenMI........I love fajitas..........what do you marinate your meat in for this?

Sorry, Sizz, I just now noticed your question.

I marinate meat for fajitas in a little vegetable oil, juice of half a lime, and about a tablespoon of my Mexican seasoning mix.

Mexican Seasoning Mix

¼ c chili powder
¼ c cumin
¼ c ground coriander
¼ c granulated garlic
1/8 c ground black pepper
1/8 c red pepper flakes
1 T salt

Blend together and store in an airtight container.

Back
Top Bottom