Freezing Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

passioncook

Assistant Cook
We purchased 1/2 a cow! :) We have done this before but this time it was through a different butcher and I was surprised to see that he packaged it in saran wrap. The ground beef is in white plastic bags, but the rest of it, in plastic wrap. Previously, it's been packaged in heavy butcher paper. DH didn't notice this as the butcher just put it in the back of the truck. So I'm concerned. Clearly, the butcher probably knows what he's doing, but will the meat keep OK in the saran wrap? It just doesn't seem like it would protect it.

Does anyone know? Thanks!

Melissa

It's better than butcher paper as it's more air tight. I would put the plastic wrapped pieces into plastic freezer bags to ensure it keeps well.

Thanks, I'm surprised by that. Like I said, the guy surely knows what he's doing. I think though, just for insurance sake, I will put the pieces into freezer bags. It'll be a lot of bags, but worth it I think. Thanks again :)

Our meat always comes in plastic wrap or plastic bags from the butcher. I've never seen paper, but I'd suspect plasic will be much better insurance against freezer burn.

Back
Top Bottom