Freezing cooked calves liver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
Has anyone done this? I am looking at some recipes for calves liver ( ingredients: liver, mushrooms, bacon, onion and various spices and fried in butter). Does anyone know if this will freeze well after it is cooked?

I enjoy liver and onions. Unfortunately, few in our family do.

My SIL (first wife's sister) makes it for me a few times a year. She cooks enough for me to vac pak and freeze.

I have had zero problems with reheating, in fact, it comes out really fresh tasting.

Ross

My SIL (first wife's sister) makes it for me a few times a year. She cooks enough for me to vac pak and freeze.

I have had zero problems with reheating, in fact, it comes out really fresh tasting.

Ross

Good to know. I like liver and onions too. It's hard to find a package of liver that isn't way too much food for two people. I have wondered if it would freeze well. This will give me more opportunities to make this dish.

I think a clue as to why JC has success with it is the vacuum part of the freezing. No air.

Yes, that may be part of it. But, I will give it a try without a vacuum sealer and find out if just getting most of the air out is good enough.

Yes, that may be part of it. But, I will give it a try without a vacuum sealer and find out if just getting most of the air out is good enough.

You can get the air out (most all) by dipping the bag in a bowl of water, forcing air out, then zipping.

Ross

Ross

Wonderful! I rarely cook it for myself, can't ever find it in a small enough package. Luckily a local restaurant serves it and it is perfect. Now, knowing it can be frozen, I may start cooking it again. Or at least freezing half the order from the restaurant. (Mom's dog is getting fat from my leftovers)

Last edited:
Wonderful! I rarely cook it for myself, can't ever find it in a small enough package. Luckily a local restaurant serves it and it is perfect. Now, knowing it can be frozen, I may start cooking it again. Or at least freezing half the order from the restaurant. (Mom's dog is getting fat from my leftovers)

I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.. :yum::)
Ross

Another option would be to puree the liver in a blender, add bacon grease, or butter, spices, and diced onion, diced mushroom, and homemade bacon bits, stir to combine, and then place into a loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes, or to an internal temp of 145' f.. Remove from the oven and cool. Remove from the loaf pan and into zipper freezer bag, and squeeze to remove all air before freezing.

This should give you something very tasty to serve hot with fried, or oven fried potato wedges, and a veggie. You could also simply thaw it and serve on crackers or toast points.

Just a thought.

Seeeeeyal Chief Longwind of the North

I have on occasion pureed the leftover liver and onions and used that as a pate. i would worry that baking it would overcook the liver and I detest overcooked liver.

When I make my own pate, I poach the liver in salted water until it is done perfectly. I then drain, then chop it,and throw it into the blender with sauteed onion, garlic, sage, pepper, and ginger. It's all still hot, and I add a stick of butter,or bacon fat, with a 1/4 tsp; of liquid smoke. It is then bended until smooth, and turned out into a suitable, covered container. Then it goes into the fridge, or freezer. It is creamy, spreadable, and tastes great. the fat (butter, or bacon fat, makes it firm, yet spreadable, and is blended in so that you can't even tell it's there. Oh, and using butter adds another layer of richness.

I really like using pork, turkey, or chicken livers for this, or a combination. Sadly, this is now a thing of the past for me, as I can't eat organ meats due to dietary restrictions.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom