Goulash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebforNow

Assistant Cook
My daughter is in love the goulash recipe they make at our local diner. I've spoken to the owner who gave my a rough recipe which I want to try to duplicate, but it begins with boiling the beef cubes. Has anyone ever made a goulash recipe that began by boiling the meat instead of browing it? How long would you boil it for?

Thanks for your help!:chef:

My daughter is in love the goulash recipe they make at our local diner. I've spoken to the owner who gave my a rough recipe which I want to try to duplicate, but it begins with boiling the beef cubes. Has anyone ever made a goulash recipe that began by boiling the meat instead of browing it? How long would you boil it for?

Thanks for your help!:chef:

I don't boil the meat, I brown it first then it cooks in the recipe liquids.

I reckon you could boil the meat. Are there any seasonings/spices in the boiling water? That would be the only advantage to boiling the meat first. If not, I would brown it first.

I reckon you could boil the meat. Are there any seasonings/spices in the boiling water? That would be the only advantage to boiling the meat first. If not, I would brown it first.

Also, if you don't use the liquid you boiled the meat in, you're losing all that beef flavor.

Boiling the meat will remove the excess fat. then brown it after. Since we try to watch our fat and cholesterol we also boil Italian or breakfast sausage first . Ground turkey and chicken products also have a lot of fat.

Boiling the meat will remove the excess fat. then brown it after. Since we try to watch our fat and cholesterol we also boil Italian or breakfast sausage first . Ground turkey and chicken products also have a lot of fat.

Boiling meat can overcook it and make it tough. Trimming fat with a knife is much more efficient.

Could this be a diner shortcut? Maybe they par-boil or braise the cut meat in advance to speed the cooking process for the dish? Then they can still use it up the next day? Or turn it into stew instead of goulash? Beats me.

Ground turkey is one of the leanest proteins out there. Which is why it's so bland.

Boiling raw beef to remove fat ? Why not use a knife? Boiling it will just make it tough.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help everyone. Think I'll start by seasoning and browning the meat the way I would for beef stew.:chef:

Gou

Just wanted to thank you guys for your suggestions. I think I'll season and brown the meat the way I do when I make beef stew.:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom