Greek beef sandwich I once had

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe it was other than beef, I didn't ask. I believe it was beef. From what I read, if it does turn white, it's not harmful.
You don't know for sure it was beef? Where did you read that white beef wasn't harmful?

It was a drive-thru joint long past. It was so simply good.

I think it's called a Greek kabob sandwich or something. It's not a gryo.

Anyways...I sort of want to marinate beef chunks until they turn white like they did. :yum:

Edit: I marinated beef for a long time in the fridge once, it turned white. Not that mushy either. I'm thinking of doing this again.
If you did it already, what did you use as the marinade?

Especially for kabobs using cheaper tougher cuts of beef.

Questions in red.

Try this Italian take on kebabs.

Binghamton Spiedie's with ZuZu sauce
This is a big hit in Central New York state.

Various towns in the area claim to be home to it and many original recipes exist. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This is nice to take on a camping trip because it does not take up much room in the cooler.

I hope you will give it a try!

[FONT=&quot]Binghamton Spiedie with ZuZu Sauce[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3/4 cup vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup olive oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 T dried mint[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 cloves minced garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 t white sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 t dried oregano[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 T dried basil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 dried bay leaf[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 t salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 t red pepper flakes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 t black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 pounds boneless meat cut into 1 ½ inch chunks[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 skewers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 loaf Italian bread or six hoagie rolls[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Directions:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Combine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, mint, garlic, sugar, oregano, basil, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Place the meat in a large zip lock plastic bag, pour in marinade. Squeeze out excess air and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24-72 hours, turning occasionally.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Remove meat and place on the skewers. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for several minutes. This step is very important to kill the bacteria from the meat. If you cannot cook the remaining marinade discard it![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Place skewers on the preheated grill and cook for 5 or 6 minutes on each side until charred on the outside and the juices run clear, about 15 minutes total cooking time. Remove from grill and rest the meat for a few minutes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Place a skewer between two slices of bread and pull the meat off of the skewer. Drizzle some of the cooked marinade on the meat and enjoy! I like the bread or rolls toasted on the grill.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Notes:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is good with chicken, pork, lamb, beef or venison. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It is also good made with different vinegars. I believe it was originally made with red wine vinegar.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Experiment with the seasonings and herbs to make it your own.
[/FONT]

A Greek drive thru.

It sounds like you went through a drive through, ordered beef, but they gave you the wrong order. If it really was white, it was probably chicken.

Everyone is telling you the truth - no marinade will turn beef white.

It was beef that had been marinated until it turned white and looked like chicken. I'm not sure what that sandwich was called, but I'm thinking of doing the same...marinating beef until it turns white, like they did.
That place closed down long ago, but oh...that Greek sandwich was good.

I assumed that since it looked like chicken, it was probably chicken. The OP just assumed that it was beef because they ordered beef, and didn't believe his/her own eyes and tongue.

I assumed that since it looked like chicken, it was probably chicken. The OP just assumed that it was beef because they ordered beef, and didn't believe his/her own eyes and tongue.

Maybe it was other than beef, I didn't ask. I believe it was beef.

I think he ordered a sandwich not knowing what the meat was and is guessing it was beef.

I'm also guessing this was a souvlaki sandwich. I used to frequent a place in Chicago many years ago that was down the street from my apartment and made wonderful sandwiches, so I understand the attraction.

"Souvlaki" refers to the skewers that are used, rather than the dish itself. The ones I've had were usually made from pork, but I've also seen chicken, and, occasionally, lamb. My guess is that pork is what Caslon had, hence the light color.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom