Grilled Hanger Steak with a Red Onion Ciopollata and Herbed White Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
marm's post about flat iron steaks made me remember a recipe from one of the cbs early show's "chef on a shoestring" segments about hanger steaks, from chef bill telepan.

i think i'll try to make this next week, but i will probably be using top round london broil.

Grilled Hanger Steak with a Red Onion Ciopollata and Herbed White Beans

ingredients for the onion cippollata:

4 medium red onions, sliced thin
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup red wine
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
salt and pepper

in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. add the onions, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and cover. cook until very soft on medium-low heat, about 45 minutes. then add the red wine and vinegar. reduce until almost all of the liquid has evaporated, about another 45 minutes.

ingredients for the herbed white beans:

1 cup dried great northern white beans, soaked overnight
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
salt to taste

in a heavy pot, add the beans and the broth/water, and bring to an active simmer. (the surface should be lightly bubbling ). do not let the pot boil, because the boiling will cause the beans to break apart, and the skins will float off, and the beans will cook unevenly.

also, resist the urge to stir which could break up the beans.

as the beans cook, keep the liquid level just above the beans, and if needed, add some hot water if they become exposed. when beans are just tender (cooking time can vary from 30 minutes to an 1 1/2 hours), remove them from the heat. test a couple of beans for doneness. add salt to taste, and set the beans aside to let cool in their liquid, and to absorb more flavor from the stock.

taking 1/2 cup of beans and 1/4 cup of bean liquid and puree smooth in blender. return the pureed beans to the pot.

ingredients for the herb oil for the beans:

2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
4 tablespoons evoo
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon sea salt

mix thyme and oregano with 1 tsp sea salt, chop and blend with chopped parsley and oil.

warm the beans and gently stir in the herb oil, just before serving.

ingredients for the hanger steak:

4 cloves garlic, smashed and rough chopped
4 tablespoons evoo
24 ounce hanger steak, trimmed of any sinew
salt and pepper

mix garlic and oil, and rub into the meat. marinate in the garlic/oil for 1 hour in the refrigerator, wrapped in plastic wrap.

next, sprinkle meat with s & p, and place on a hot grill. sear meat on both sides, about 2 minutes each. then grill the steak for about 5 minutes on each side until medium-rare. remove from heat, and let the meat rest for 10 minutes. slice across the grain into thin slices like you would a london broil.

serve by dividing the steak among four plates, and top with onions, spooning warmed/herbed beans around the sides.

I'm so glad to see so many using great northern beans for recipes calling for white beans. They seem to have more taste and hold up better than the cannellini beans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom