Grilling Beef Tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marygio

Assistant Cook
I want to cook a whole tenderloin for some guests and I was wondering if anyone had grilled one before. What kind of marinade should I use, and how long does it take on the grill?

Marygio

Have done it. No marinade. Do a rub. Let "marinate" in a dry rub overnight.
Turn the small end of the tenderloin under and secure with skewers so you have a uniform cylinder of meat.
Sear it on all sides. Turn the grill to medium (if gas) and continue to cook, watching it very closely. Continue to turn on all sides until the internal temp is 120* registered on an instant read thermometer. Put it on the cutting board and tent with foil to continue "cooking" and to let the juices retract into the meat--about 30 minutes.
It is hard to be exact for grilling but it will take about 30-40 minutes of grilling plus the waiting time. Do not leave it for any great length of time.

We cooked beef tenderloin yesterday. I don't remember how long it cooked, but we cooked it on the side that wasn't on til it reached the appropriate temperature, then seared it a bit on the outside. It was delicious. DD marinated it, but don't know what she used. There were degrees of doneness for everyone.

I sear it, put my probe in it, turn it once and wait for the temperature guage to 'ding'.

I prefer a rub also, rather than marinating. But next time, I'm going to use Ironchef's bleu cheese butter.

grilled tenderloin

I have tried this method and it works very well.

Marinate in 1/4 cup of each for an hour or so
italian dressing
favorite b-b-q sauce
good red wine

i have a charcoal grill with a good heat going so probably a med/high heat
on gas grill.

heat your oven to 500

grill the tenderloin 7 mins on both sides take off and

insert meat thermometer, put in the oven and turn the oven off.

it helps if the thermometer can be either seen threw the glass window or if you have one that the read out is able to be outside the oven.
because you can not open the door until the meat has reached the temp
you want. if you open the door you will loose all the heat you need for
the meat to cook.

normally it will take an hour in the oven, depending on the size.

it is wonderful

marygio said:
I want to cook a whole tenderloin for some guests and I was wondering if anyone had grilled one before. What kind of marinade should I use, and how long does it take on the grill?

Marygio

:chef: What kind of marinade do you like ?
I have some marinade recipes i can post if you would like them!

We don't tend to marinate since some of us don't like anything on our meat other than salt and pepper ... rather, we serve it with a sun dried tomato pesto for self drizzling or a reduced balsamic vinegar sauce (from Giada De'Laurentis ... spelling?) and blue cheese.

Sorry, I don't have a specific time that we grill it for, we poke (with our fingers, no thermometers) until the ends are to the desired doneness ... We leave it long and skinny on one end, placing that end over the hotter side of the grill. We leave the fat end on the cool side so it is done rare while the skinny end is well done and the middle tends to be more medium. That way, everyone gets it how they like it. For us, that's the biggest selling point of doing the whole tenderloin - it's multi-functional.
Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom