"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2016, 10:30 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,964
Ground Beef Recipes/Suggestions

Ok, so here's the catch.
As some of you know Im a vegetarian.
I often use Morning Star Crumblers as my alternative to Ground Beef.
This stuff does not bind together as regular beef would, so meatballs, burgers, meatloaf ... are out of the question ( *** My intention is not to use it in recipes that require it to bind, so no need to suggest ways to get it to bind , such as cheese, eggs ...***)

This stuff cooks/ browns totally different than its meat counterpart, so leave the cooking and experimenting up to me.

Here are some of the things I've used it successfully in so far, Im just looking for other suggestions.

Chili
Tacos/ taco salad
"Beef" burritos
"meat" sauce
Stuffed Cabbage
Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed Tomatoes
Stuffed Eggplant
Sloppy Joe
Lasagna
Ive mixed it in with that Hamburger Helper Crap ( kids love it)

There are probably others that have slipped my mind.

So, if anyone has any recipes / suggestions for me to use this product with, I'd be interested to hear about it.

All cuisines welcome, I love International Cuisines.

Larry

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,042
Drat. When we were in Mexico recently, there's a guy and his wife who cook wonderful food and deliver only on Sundays. He ran out of his exquisite filets, but suggested we try his vegetarian chili. It was truly some of the best I've ever had. I'll see if he'll cough up his recipe. I'll pm you the name of his business. Super nice guy.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:53 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,608
How about a fake beef Stroganoff.

Milk gravy or the old cream of mushroom soup, sliced mushrooms, chopped onion, crumbles, a shot of Worcestershire sauce, a few frozen peas or not, serve over noodles or mashed potatoes.

When we were kids this was a day before payday meal known to us as barf!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
I occasionally make a Greek influenced ground beef and macaroni dish (pastitsada, but I don't think this is anywhere near authentic). Saute a pound of ground beef and two thinly sliced onions in olive oil until the beef is browned. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a couple of large pinches of cayenne and ground cloves, saute a few more minutes. Add a small can (8 oz.) of tomato sauce, a healthy splash of red wine, and a couple of cut up tomatoes, simmer a few more minutes. Toss with macaroni (or your choice of pasta).
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #5
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 682
I think Cream It! everybody likes the whole SOS on Toast..

Also.. Asian Lettuce Wraps..

It's all about the suace and veggies anyhow..and sides.

and children (young and older) love making their own wraps and eating with fingures!

Eric
giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,670
We love this Bibimbap - Korean Mixed Rice with Meat and Assorted Vegetables - My Korean Kitchen . Don't remember if you eat eggs or not but if you do be sure and use it. Good without but better with, it just adds something.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Add whichever sausage seasinings you like and serve it up as a breakfast hash wuth potatoes and topped with a fried egg. I would do the same annd put it on as a topping for vegetarian pizza. Use it for fillings for egg rolls/springrolls/wontons/dumplings. The possibilities are endless....did I see cottage pie on the List?
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
Senior Cook
 
puffin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Duncan
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Ok, so here's the catch.
As some of you know Im a vegetarian.
I often use Morning Star Crumblers as my alternative to Ground Beef.
This stuff does not bind together as regular beef would, so meatballs, burgers, meatloaf ... are out of the question ( *** My intention is not to use it in recipes that require it to bind, so no need to suggest ways to get it to bind , such as cheese, eggs ...***)

This stuff cooks/ browns totally different than its meat counterpart, so leave the cooking and experimenting up to me.

Here are some of the things I've used it successfully in so far, Im just looking for other suggestions.

Chili
Tacos/ taco salad
"Beef" burritos
"meat" sauce
Stuffed Cabbage
Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed Tomatoes
Stuffed Eggplant
Sloppy Joe
Lasagna
Ive mixed it in with that Hamburger Helper Crap ( kids love it)

There are probably others that have slipped my mind.

So, if anyone has any recipes / suggestions for me to use this product with, I'd be interested to hear about it.

All cuisines welcome, I love International Cuisines.

Larry
Substitute the meat with
the 'Crumblers.
Shan Style Noodle
Ingredients:

rice noodles soaked in hot water until el dente
3 fresh tomatoes
ground turkey or pork or chicken (I use turkey)
1 sweet onion
3 cloves garlic
1 t turmeric
1 T paprika
pinch Kosher salt/black pepper

3T coconut oil but you can use any cooking oil.
1/2 t of peanut butter
juice of half a lime
1 t of fish sauce
1 t sugar
S&P
hot water at hand
BTB turkey base

The method:
Food process the fresh tomatoes and sieve to remove the bitter seeds and skins. Set aside.
In a medium hot fry pan add half the oil. Add the chopped onion and cook until the onion is translucent then add the sliced garlic. Fry gently for a few more minutes.
Set the onion and garlic aside. Add a bit more oil and gently fry the ground turkey. When it’s cooked add the onion and garlic back in. You’ll probably need to cut up the ground turkey into little pieces in the pan as the turkey is frying. Add the tomatoes and turmeric and paprika and peanut butter and fish sauce and sugar and enough hot water to be able to simmer the mixture for an hour over low heat. This is the ‘curry’. Let the curry paste reduce. Adjust with some S&P to your taste.
You’re looking for a rather thick curry paste consistency. But not too thick.

For the turkey broth follow the instructions on the BTB label to make a quart. You want a nice clean flavour so don’t add anything to it. All the other ingredients bring enough flavours to the dish.
You want the broth to be REALLY hot to warm up some of the other ingredients. Almost boiling.

Have the rice noodles soaked in hot water to ‘el dente’ and drained.

Serve in your special asian soup bowls.
First put in some rice noodles then a helping of the turkey curry paste on top then pour in just enough hot turkey broth to cover the noodles. You don’t want all the components of the dish floating in broth.
Garnish with fine chopped spring onion or cilantro.
puffin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,638
How about cottage pie? Use the crumbles in place of the ground beef, add your veggies and veggie broth, top with mashed taters.
__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,824
sub it into
fried rice
egg rolls
sauerkraut and 'beef' egg rolls
'sloppy joes' ETA: ah you said that one. Call it a 'sloppy jeff' :)
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Do a search for Keema Chatamari with Momo Achar. It is on my bucket list. It is also called Napali pizza.

BTW, could you please post some of your fav Recipes?
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I occasionally make a Greek influenced ground beef and macaroni dish (pastitsada, but I don't think this is anywhere near authentic). Saute a pound of ground beef and two thinly sliced onions in olive oil until the beef is browned. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a couple of large pinches of cayenne and ground cloves, saute a few more minutes. Add a small can (8 oz.) of tomato sauce, a healthy splash of red wine, and a couple of cut up tomatoes, simmer a few more minutes. Toss with macaroni (or your choice of pasta).
As a vegetarian, I doubt he will be able to make this dish. It has hamburger in it.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 25,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As a vegetarian, I doubt he will be able to make this dish. It has hamburger in it.
Addie, this whole thread is about recipes in which he can use a vegetarian substitute for ground beef. Pastitsio is a great idea.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,824
I got one.
Season the crumbles with salt and smoke flavoring.
Make german potato salad subbing the crumbles for the bacon. I'd guess you'd have to add quite a bit more oil since the crumble probably don't have any to give.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Addie, this whole thread is about recipes in which he can use a vegetarian substitute for ground beef. Pastitsio is a great idea.
Yes, I know. But the recipe listed by tenspeed called for one pound of ground beef.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 25,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yes, I know. But the recipe listed by tenspeed called for one pound of ground beef.
So Larry would replace that with one pound of Morning Star Crumblers. Just like he would replace ground beef with Morning Star Crumblers in tacos, etc.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
Moussaka, which is kind of like a Greek version of lasagna. Eggplant is used instead of pasta, and it's a different collection of seasonings. To me, it's the ground lamb that gives it a distinct flavor, but that's obviously not an option for you.

You can also try dolmades, which are stuffed grape leaves (mini stuffed cabbage). It's a bit labor intensive, but the grape leaves have a distinct flavor. They're generally served as an appetizer.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 25,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Moussaka, which is kind of like a Greek version of lasagna. Eggplant is used instead of pasta, and it's a different collection of seasonings. To me, it's the ground lamb that gives it a distinct flavor, but that's obviously not an option for you.

You can also try dolmades, which are stuffed grape leaves (mini stuffed cabbage). It's a bit labor intensive, but the grape leaves have a distinct flavor. They're generally served as an appetizer.
I've seen variations of moussaka with zucchini instead of eggplant (I'm not a fan of eggplant). And I love dolmades They're often served with tzatziki or a lemon sauce, like ladolemono.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,964
Great Ideas guys and gals , keep them coming.
And yes, the crumbles would just replace the ground beef.
Sure , its not going to be exactly the same, but they can be used interchangeably ( to some extent) with a little creativity. Sure , there will be a few flops, but hey, thats part of the fun, learning from your mistakes.
Since Im a vegetarian, i often come to roadblocks as to what I can do with what Ive got. Therefore, Im reaching out to the meat eating community, to help me find my way

Larry
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've seen variations of moussaka with zucchini instead of eggplant (I'm not a fan of eggplant). And I love dolmades They're often served with tzatziki or a lemon sauce, like ladolemono.
For those who don't like eggplant, I've read suggestions to peel about half of the skin off the eggplant, as that's where a lot of the flavor is. Never tried it, as it wouldn't be eggplant without that taste. You would also lose some of the nutritional value.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beef, ground beef, recipe, recipes

Ground Beef Recipes/Suggestions Ok, so here's the catch. As some of you know Im a vegetarian. I often use Morning Star Crumblers as my alternative to Ground Beef. This stuff does not bind together as regular beef would, so meatballs, burgers, meatloaf ... are out of the question ( *** My intention is not to use it in recipes that require it to bind, so no need to suggest ways to get it to bind , such as cheese, eggs ...***) This stuff cooks/ browns totally different than its meat counterpart, so leave the cooking and experimenting up to me. Here are some of the things I've used it successfully in so far, Im just looking for other suggestions. Chili Tacos/ taco salad "Beef" burritos "meat" sauce Stuffed Cabbage Stuffed Peppers Stuffed Tomatoes Stuffed Eggplant Sloppy Joe Lasagna Ive mixed it in with that Hamburger Helper Crap ( kids love it) There are probably others that have slipped my mind. So, if anyone has any recipes / suggestions for me to use this product with, I'd be interested to hear about it. All cuisines welcome, I love International Cuisines. Larry 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.