Ground beef spaghetti sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I'm making spaghetti sauce for the first time using just ground beef. I found this recipe off the net and would like anyone's opinion of it.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/158140/spaghetti-sauce-with-ground-beef/

Please feel free to reply as to your opinion of that recipe (including prep and cooking) and what changes you'd make to this recipe, or a favorite of yours (not too complicated). I could add ground (?) sausage, but wonder if that wouldn't complicate the recipe as it is (omit some hamburger and add ground sausage)? Also, do the quantities sound right? Not too much of the three canned tomato ingredients? Also, what about adding some canned small mushrooms? I'm looking forward to my first attempt at making spaghetti meat sauce, then freezing portions.

Last edited:
Sausage will definitely help. A good gravy uses both pork and beef

Also, be sure to use lean beef, and drain as much rendered fat as possible.

Just my taste, but I really dislike greasy meat sauces.

Also, I would brown the meats first, set them aside, use their fat to sweat the veggies, drain, add herbs, add tomatoes, add back in the meat. Cook uncovered (or covered with a splatter screen).

Also, I would brown the meats first, set them aside, use their fat to sweat the veggies, drain, add herbs, add tomatoes, add back in the meat. Cook uncovered (or covered with a splatter screen).

Yes, I wondered about browning the beef and at the same time trying to tenderize the diced bell pepper and onion and garlic. Simmer uncovered? That probably lets some of the built up moisture content to evaporate out, so the sauce isn't too wet?

My mom used to simmer her sauce covered tho. Not a critical factor? Wouldn't covered or partly covered (splatter screen) infuse more flavor into the sauce? Does anyone add a small amount of canned mushroom pieces (not in the recipe) ?

I bought 92% - 8% hamburger. I too do not like oily spaghetti sauce.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, Caslon, green peppers? What kind of recipe did you find, for a knock-off Manwich? :huh: I suppose if you like them...

Anyway, this is my MIL's TnT recipe. Making taste buds happy for decades. Heck, I've been making it for over 40 years, so this recipe must have floated through the family for at least 70. Can't go wrong with 70 years of success.

Cooking Goddess' Family Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

BTW, I've made this with added sausage one. It did nothing for the sauce but make it greasy. Since then I've made the sauce as written and we add grilled sausage links if we're in the mood.

Yes, I wondered about browning the beef and at the same time trying to tenderize the diced bell pepper and onion and garlic. Simmer uncovered? That probably lets some of the built up moisture content to evaporate out, so the sauce isn't too wet?

My mom used to simmer her sauce covered tho. Not a critical factor? Wouldn't covered or partly covered (splatter screen) infuse more flavor into the sauce? Does anyone add a small amount of canned mushroom pieces (not in the recipe) ?

I bought 92% - 8% hamburger. I too do not like oily spaghetti sauce.

Meat to fat ratio sounds good. You might have to add some olive or grapeseed oil, but those are tastier fats in this case without being greasy.

Mushrooms are a very good addition. What kind do you have? dried will also help thicken and intensify the sauce.

The sauce won't thicken if tightly covered. Your mom might have cocked the lid. Did you ever see her leave a wooden spoon in to accomplish that?

And as far as CG's abhorrance to adding green peppers, well, that's a personal choice. I love it in a meat sauce. Especially in veal and peppers., or Sunday gravy.

Last edited:

BTW, I've made this with added sausage one. It did nothing for the sauce but make it greasy. Since then I've made the sauce as written and we add grilled sausage links if we're in the mood.

Noted about sausage only making it more greasy. That simplifies things for me. That recipe called for one "small" diced bell pepper. I'll keep that quantity down to a minimum.

To Buckytom: I've always used quality glass jarred small mushrooms pieces when needed. They're rich and dark, very meaty and pretty good tasting.

After all the supplies I got today for this sauce, I forgot to buy spaghetti ! That's how seldom I cook spaghetti. :LOL:

I've gotten tired of buying Stouffer's frozen Spaghetti and Meat sauce. It's not terrible, but the spaghetti pasta strands are thin and mushy.

Last edited:
Sauce without green pepper would be like sauce without onion and garlic for me. Dried porcini mushrooms (or powder) is also a must in my book.

Of all the sauces I've made, I've never added porcini shrooms in any form.

I'm going to have to try that. Thanks, K-L.
Luv the depth shrooms bring.

Noted about sausage only making it more greasy. That simplifies things for me. That recipe called for one "small" diced bell pepper. I'll keep that quantity down to a minimum.

To Buckytom: I've always used quality glass jarred small mushrooms pieces when needed. They're rich and dark, very meaty and pretty good tasting.

After all the supplies I got today for this sauce, I forgot to buy spaghetti ! That's how seldom I cook spaghetti. :LOL:

I've gotten tired of buying Stouffer's frozen Spaghetti and Meat sauce. It's not terrible, but the spaghetti pasta strands are thin and mushy.

OMG, Stouffers?
We can certainly help you make something better than that.

That recipe looks like a standard, basic spaghetti meat sauce. I wouldn't add the tomato sauce though, but that's me. I like to kick it up a notch by adding some chopped olives and mushrooms. I brown my meat and then continue browning it with the onion and garlic, but other veg. And, I also like to use the celery that CG has in her recipe. I think green bell pepper goes well in spaghetti sauce, but I like to chop it finer or julienne it so you don't get chunks of it in your mouth.

After sautéing the meat and veggies I'd add the paste and sauté that until it darkens in color. This brings out the sweetness of the tomato and activates the umami in tomato. Then add the tomato and seasonings.

I usually add some dried porcini as well. Loaded with umami.

Skip the green pepper and add some sliced/diced fresh mushrooms to the sauté.

If I'm adding both oregano and basil, I use less oregano than basil (or more basil than oregano) as it's stronger.

Simmer with the lid on if you want a thinner sauce. With the lid off or partially off if you want a thicker sauce.

Italian sausage is a great addition. Roasted pork neck bones are as well.

I'm making spaghetti sauce for the first time using just ground beef. I found this recipe off the net and would like anyone's opinion of it.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/158140/spaghetti-sauce-with-ground-beef/

Please feel free to reply as to your opinion of that recipe (including prep and cooking) and what changes you'd make to this recipe, or a favorite of yours (not too complicated). I could add ground (?) sausage, but wonder if that wouldn't complicate the recipe as it is (omit some hamburger and add ground sausage)? Also, do the quantities sound right? Not too much of the three canned tomato ingredients? Also, what about adding some canned small mushrooms? I'm looking forward to my first attempt at making spaghetti meat sauce, then freezing portions.

That recipe looks pretty solid to me. I would swap the diced tomatoes for some canned San Marzano tomatoes, that are usually only available as whole peeled tomatoes. Other than that, I can't say I'd change anything.

As for meats and mushrooms, add them if you want to. No rules. Keep in mind, you can always do your sauce without them, and simmer the sauce with meats and/or veggies when you are ready to serve the meal.

CD

Last edited:
After sautéing the meat and veggies I'd add the paste and sauté that until it darkens in color. This brings out the sweetness of the tomato and activates the umami in tomato. Then add the tomato and seasonings.

Skip the green pepper and add some sliced/diced fresh mushrooms to the sauté.

If I'm adding both oregano and basil, I use less oregano than basil (or more basil than oregano) as it's stronger.

Simmer with the lid on if you want a thinner sauce. With the lid off or partially off if you want a thicker sauce.

Thanks for the part about the oregano and basil in order to prevent one or the other from overpowering the sauce. Nothing probably ruins a sauce more than having one herb stand out too much.

Last edited:
This recipe sounds like a direct translation of Swedish staple Köttfärssås, it means Ground meat sauce. It sound like the 1960 version of it, it had bell peppers in it.

Mine doesnt have peppers in it, the recipe looks about right, I just add finely chopped celery and carrot and I used two can of finely chopped tomatoes and no tomato sauce and oh stock cube or two goes into it.
Mine cook for 2 hours most often, because it makes it taste better.

Oh my gosh, Caslon, green peppers? What kind of recipe did you find, for a knock-off Manwich? :huh: I suppose if you like them...

Anyway, this is my MIL's TnT recipe. Making taste buds happy for decades. Heck, I've been making it for over 40 years, so this recipe must have floated through the family for at least 70. Can't go wrong with 70 years of success.

That is pretty dam close to the one I make,but I use tomatoes from our garden, I make about 10 X 2 litre containers every summer for our winter dishes.
It's pretty popular at home. This has just reminded me I need to do lasagna soon.

Russ

BT, Stouffer's actually makes a respectable lasagna. I'm sure Garfield would be all over it. :yum:

On topic, I would recommend that, if you want to freeze some for future use, and you use a fatty meat, like Italian sausage, that you put it in the fridge overnight, and let the fat rise up to the top and harden. Then, you can take it off and toss it.

Once that fat separates from the sauce, it is not going to help the sauce, IMO. When you go to use your frozen sauce, you can always add a splash of olive oil to your pasta, with your sauce, if you need that little bit of fat. That, and a little bit of pasta water will incorporate. If you use frozen sausage fat, it is just going to be greasy, IMO.

CD

Last edited:
If you are making a loose meat gravy, fine. But if you are going to b4e making meatballs, use an ice cream scoop. Place all your scoops on wax paper or plastic wrap. When all the meat has bee scooped, you can roll them into size consistent meat balls.

BTW, according to Julia Child, if it has meat in the liquid, it is called a gravy. If there is no meat, then it is just a sauce. Yeah, there is a difference between a sauce and a "Sunday Gravy.

Skip the green pepper
and add some sliced/diced fresh mushrooms to the sauté.

I agree with Andy. On the first part I would add one of those small bottles of red wine, let it reduce down then add the canned tomatoes and sauce. I prefer fresh basil, stems can be removed when sauce is done and I don't use oregano in any Italian red sauce except pizza sauce. I would also add some red pepper flakes to taste as well as a parmesan bone. I'd cook with the lid off and add some unsalted beef stock to thin if needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom