"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

Hamburger Soup

Hamburger soup is easy to make, and is a tasty soup perfect for cooler nights. You can modify it by adding orzo, pearl barley, vermicelli, or rice. It's also a great vehicle for spaetzli. Here's how I make my version:

Ingredients:
1 lb. 80/20 ground beef
1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 head green cabbage, core removed, and chopped
1/2 cup sweet peas
1 quart water
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper2
2 tbs. cooking oil

Add cooking oil to a large Dutch oven, and swirl to coat the bottom. Heat Dutch oven over medium-high heat until oil begins to shimmer. Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper. Brown the ground beef, breaking up into spoon-sized chunks. Add the onion, and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, cover, turn heat to simmer, and cook for twenty minutes.

If adding orzo, vermicelli, add to the soup when there is ten minutes of time left. If adding pearl barley, or rice, cook in the soup for twenty minutes. Serve with crusty bead, and butter. Finish with peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream, or apple betty for desert.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
burger, cabbage, carrot, garlic, ground beed, ham, hamburger, onion, pepper, potato, recipe, salt, soup, sweet peas

Hamburger Soup Hamburger soup is easy to make, and is a tasty soup perfect for cooler nights. You can modify it by adding orzo, pearl barley, vermicelli, or rice. It's also a great vehicle for spaetzli. Here's how I make my version: [B]Ingredients:[/B] 1 lb. 80/20 ground beef 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped 2 stalks celery, sliced 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces 1/2 head green cabbage, core removed, and chopped 1/2 cup sweet peas 1 quart water 1 tsp. salt 2 tsp. black pepper2 2 tbs. cooking oil Add cooking oil to a large Dutch oven, and swirl to coat the bottom. Heat Dutch oven over medium-high heat until oil begins to shimmer. Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper. Brown the ground beef, breaking up into spoon-sized chunks. Add the onion, and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, cover, turn heat to simmer, and cook for twenty minutes. If adding orzo, vermicelli, add to the soup when there is ten minutes of time left. If adding pearl barley, or rice, cook in the soup for twenty minutes. Serve with crusty bead, and butter. Finish with peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream, or apple betty for desert. Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews