Having trouble finding Flank Steak....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
London Broil is not a cut. It is a dish. You can use many different cuts to cook London Broil.

Yes, but like Amy said, that is what is on the label. I could ask someone to pick me up a "London Broil" and they would come back from the stores around me with a big, thick looking steak.

I have one in the freezer, I'll try to get a pic when I get home. IIRC, it says "Beef Diaphragm". I'll post it later. Blew my mind the first time I saw it too. It's one of my most favorite cuts. I saw some places call it "Plate Steak".

Edit: It comes in a loooong strip with the grain running cross-wise. You need to slice it across the grain. Since it's so long, and I don't have a sword at home, I just cut it in half and slice each piece seperately. It's much easier to handle that way.

1607Skirt%20Steak%20Bnls.JPG

Yes, but like Amy said, that is what is on the label. I could ask someone to pick me up a "London Broil" and they would come back from the stores around me with a big, thick looking steak.
Right, so i am replying to your question where you asked if they are the exact same cut. they are not because london Broil is not a cut. A store could label flank as London broil today. Tomorrow they could label round as London Broil.

Right, so i am replying to your question where you asked if they are the exact same cut. they are not because london Broil is not a cut. A store could label flank as London broil today. Tomorrow they could label round as London Broil.

Exactly right. Markets sell flank steak labelling it as London Broil. London Broil is actually a cooking method, but not the cut of beef.

so what is their reason for labelling different cuts all "London Broil"? To get people to eat/try different cuts?

I guess the question would be too hard for anyone to answer without seeing the cut of meat.
Wherever Amy is from apparently labels flank steaks "London Broil". I was merely wondering if that would be common practice enough so that if I bought a piece of beef here labeled London Broil, it would always be the flank steak and not a skirt or something different.

While I understand flank steak is sometimes labeled London broil, I have to say you shouldn't rely on that. Here in MA, the only cut I have ever seen labeled as LB is a shoulder steak. Nothing like a flank steak at all.

I'm sure there are regional differences. There are cuts of steak common in CA that do not exist in MA. Also, the same cut of meat will be named differently in different parts of the country. e.g. what some know as a flat iron steak is sold as a blade steak around here.

While I understand flank steak is sometimes labeled London broil, I have to say you shouldn't rely on that. Here in MA, the only cut I have ever seen labeled as LB is a shoulder steak. Nothing like a flank steak at all.

I'm sure there are regional differences. There are cuts of steak common in CA that do not exist in MA. Also, the same cut of meat will be named differently in different parts of the country. e.g. what some know as a flat iron steak is sold as a blade steak around here.

Yup. Tri-tip and fresh brisket cannot be found in anyplace other than a butcher around me. I cant even get decent beef short ribs. Whereas, other states it's stocked on the shelves 365 days a year.

You'd think the cheaper cuts would be easier to find with the economy the way it is.....
Anyway... I have 1 more store to check but nobody seems to have them. Can I use another cut, similar?
There are a few Guy Fieri recipes I want to try with it.... mostly braised I believe.

If you cannot find any of the afore mentioned cuts of beef for your recipes...Uncle Bob suggest; For braising recipes...Top Round steak...For recipes calling for "Get Down Get Funky" hot and fast recipes...Top Sirloin.

Enjoy!

Yup. Tri-tip and fresh brisket cannot be found in anyplace other than a butcher around me. I cant even get decent beef short ribs. Whereas, other states it's stocked on the shelves 365 days a year.

Tri-tip is unheard of around me. I've asked and no one carries it. We do have short ribs and brisket in abundance.

I don't understand why different areas don't have certain cuts of meat readily available...I mean a cow is a cow right?? So why is any different in availability when they butcher for store shelves?

Suze, do you ask the meat manager to get you some? The are usually very accommodating. Also, stores often have stuff in stock that's not out in the display case. So it pays to ask.

I haven't checked the last place yet but I asked yesterday and that guy said it didn't sell well so they dont carry it...
I also asked if the london broil (that's how it was marked and packaged which I thought was sillly) was the same thing and he said no.
I will ask when I go tomorrow.... I'm on a mission now, and will find one if I have to go on a butcher store tour!!!!

Let's start with definitions

Flank Steak

Skirt steak

Verbiage in the Skirt steak definition tells us why diaphram comes into the conversation.

London Broil

Anyway, I have seen skirt steak labled diaphram. Using the definition from Wikipedia, this is possible, but tougher than skirt steak that is not part of the diaphram.

Anyway, it makes great fajitas.

AC

Tri-tip is unheard of around me. I've asked and no one carries it.
The only place I have found tri-tip is at Trader Joes. There it comes already marinated. I was not crazy about it personally. It is an odd shaped cut so it does not cook evenly.

you usually have to ask for flank steak here ..
same with skirt ..
and its far from cheap ..

Back
Top Bottom