Help working out a recipe...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derik128

Assistant Cook
[FONT=&quot]Jamie Oliver Great British Burger 284G[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I used to be able to buy Jamie Oliver mature cheddar and Tewkesbury mustard burgers from Tesco however they stopped selling them but they were so very tasty! So im trying to work out the recipe from the ingredients on the pack:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
“British Beef (87%),West Country Cheddar (4%) ,Tewkesbury Mustard (3%) (White Wine Vinegar, Water, Mustard Flour, Fresh English Horseradish Root, Salt, Mustard Rusk) ,Parmigiano Reggiano ,Chives ,Breadcrumb (Flour, Yeast, Salt) ,Salt ,Black Pepper ,White Pepper ,Ginger ,Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite ,Antioxidant: Ascorbic Acid”

By working out the percentages compared to the total weight 284g I have gotten this far (rounded):

216g British Beef (87%)
12g West Country Cheddar (4%)
8g Tewkesbury Mustard (3%)
6g Parmigiano Reggiano (2%)
1 tsp Chives – not sure if this is too much or too little?
50g Breadcrumb – seems a lot?
Pinch - Salt
Black Pepper
White Pepper
Thumb size lump – Ginger – not sure how much would be over powering?

Not needed:
Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite ,Antioxidant: Ascorbic Acid

So I would like some help trying to get this right so I can make them and also will come in great for BBQ’s in the summer! :chef:

Thanks.

The burgers you buy ready made are much different to fresh and almost impossible to copy in a home environment. I think one of the recipes from his cookbooks will be your best bet.
You don't have the equipment they use in factories and they process everything more than we would at home.

As far as the ginger goes, I think it is a matter of how much you like ginger. A little goes a long way. I usually use the rule that it is better to add less than more. Too much of something can ruin a dish, where if there is not enough you can always add more. I would play around and make little test patties. Try it, then decide what it needs, if anything. 50 grams of bread crumbs sounds reasonable. That is only a couple of ounces.....

Last edited:
I do agree with Snip actually. Jamie has lots of great burger recipes , check out his website and also his Jamie magazine . Good luck with your quest !

An update for you guys,

Made the burgers as the recipe above, but I used Paxo breadcrumbs which I think was a mistake as it made the mix a little stodgy after cooking. I think proper bread crumbs next time and maybe less of it. I used a little bit of ginger but could still taste it so good think I didn’t put my original guess in cheers rocklobster!

Otherwise though they were very tasty not quite the same and Jamie’s I think maybe more cheese needed!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom