Husbands favorite meatloaf, last nights dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Sought the world over yesterday to find something that would float my boat in the form of a meatloaf.
Here it is. Husband said best meatloaf I've ever made, period. I added/tweeked it so this isn't plagiarism. Instructions are exactly what I did, regardless of whether it sounds right or wrong.
Preheat oven to 350°.

1 1/2 lb ground beef 86%
5 strips OM bacon
2 ounces deli sandwich turkey meat
put all in the Cuisinart to combine
```````
3/4 c dried/toasted sourdough bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/2 c 1/2&1/2, coffee cream
1 1/2 t "My House" seasoning {salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder combined in a shaker}a version of PD's
1 T worchershire sauce
put all of this in the KitchenAide and mix well.
````````
plop onto a baking/cookie sheet free form and tunnel out a trough down the middle of it for the filling to go. make the filling.
````````
in heavy skillet put:
2 T butter and melt, to that add 1 cup chopped onion and 1 cup chopped *mushrooms. saute until wilted and soft and add 1/2 c sour cream. stir to combine, take off heat. let cool.
place as much in the trough as will hold so that you can still pinch the meatloaf mixture over it to close.
put cellophane over the meatloaf and place it cookie sheet and all, in the frig for 3 hours to firm up.
remove cellophane, using the largest spatula ever or two, lift the meatloaf off the cookie sheet and into a baking glass pan with bread slices on the bottom. place this baking dish inside a bigger one that contains about 1 cup water. make glaze.
`````````
in heavy saucepan put:
1 cup tomato sauce
3 T white balsamic vinegar {thank you KE}
3 T honey
2 T dijon mustard
1 T worchestershire sauce
1 t cumin
1/2 t hot pepper sauce
let come to a simmer, take off heat, ladle most over top of meatloaf, put meatloaf in oven and bake one hour, inside temp was 145°. take out, let set before slicing, ladle more glaze over top before serving.
*I used a variety of fancy mushrooms in a jar that I had bought just for the jar.:huh: They were in a marinating liquid that I rinsed off in my colander first.

My House is that your personal touch or is that brand name to buy in store?

Thanks
Paula Deen has her house seasoning that she uses on everything in the kitchen it seems. I have some of her cookbooks and she tells you to do certain parts [measurements] of salt/pepper/onion powder. I read it wrong years ago and started buying pepper, salt, onion powder and garlic powder in bulk. I've tried all kinds of measurements with it, as I give each of my children their own shaker of this precious and wonderful seasoning for their kitchen. I've ended up just doing it like this:
10 oz salt
10 oz ground black pepper
10 oz onion powder
10 oz garlic powder
I put it all in a big glass jar, shake it up to incorporate it all together, and that's it. So, it's = parts all 4 ingreds. It's great on meat, fish, chicken, vegetables, salads, even sprinkled lightly on top of garlic bread before baking.
Just my idea of a good all around seasoning aide that doesn't come with MSG or celery "anything" < blech....

Sounds awesome but DH hates mushrooms. Anything else I could shove in there?

LEFSElover

Thanks for quick response. would have been driving the manager at the store wild if I would have asked him why he doesn't carry this? What a good idea. Everything together in jar. Paula Deen does have good recipes. Like to watch her when I can.

Thanks and I am sure family will love your meatloaf. Thanks for sharing with us.

Sounds awesome but DH hates mushrooms. Anything else I could shove in there?
gad, I'd think the ideas are endless, like red and/or green peppers sliced or even those jalepeno peppers in the jar or just the onions sauteed in the butter then add the sour cream alone. I have weird tastebuds and bet I would love a dry fruit taste in there with the onions, like some plumped up raisins maybe, but I like sweet with savory, so just my taste is all, I'd do that though.:wacko:
Thanks for quick response. would have been driving the manager at the store wild if I would have asked him why he doesn't carry this? What a good idea. Everything together in jar. Paula Deen does have good recipes. Like to watch her when I can.

Thanks and I am sure family will love your meatloaf. Thanks for sharing with us.
I am not sure if you have a Big Lots store near you or even a Grocery Outlet. At those two places here anyway in the Los Angeles area, they sell 6 inch high plastic jars of spices for under a dollar each, so that's where I've gotten them in the past. Or maybe just CostCo and buy them in bulk for a couple a bucks and combine. Those really big mason jars, the quart sized ones are what I do the inital mixing in. Just FYI

Last edited:
Thanks!
I will eat about anything, unfortunately my weird tastebuds are not connected in any way to my imagination. I don't have one of those!!!

I like the onion / roasted red pepper idea!

Thanks!
I will eat about anything, unfortunately my weird tastebuds are not connected in any way to my imagination. I don't have one of those!!!

I like the onion / roasted red pepper idea!
I was thinking on this and thought of a small chopped crookneck squash or even small bites of zukes in there or the onion and apple idea would be good as apples go pair with pork and the bacon is pork. hum, that sounds good:ohmy:
think of it this way, mushrooms don't have much flavor on their own.
it's all things you add with them that make them stand out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom