I need a new Ground Beef recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
You know how you get into doing the same 'ol, same 'ol.........?
I need a new ground beef recipe. Maybe something without tomatoes/tomato sauce (use it too much) or mushrooms (y'all know they're not my favorite)............ what can you introduce to me?

:D thanks!

Easy Meatloaf

Description:
An oldtime favorite

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 pk dried onion soup mix
1 cup dried bread crumbs ( I like garlic flavor)
2 tb minced garlic
1 can mushroom soup
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves diced garlic
6 oz white cheese diced (whatever cheese you have or can be eliminated) or 3 hardboiled eggs

1 8oz can tomato sauce

Directions:
Mix all ingredients except cheese and sauce

Place half in pan with enough space to leave air circulate around. lay cheese or eggs on top. cover with rest of mixture to cover and inclose filling.

Spread sauce on top

Bake at 350 for 1 hr

Jodie's Enchilladas

Brown 1 pound hamburger
and 1/2 cup onions

Add
1 cup cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup milk
1 10 oz can of enchillada sauce
2 teaspoons chopped green chilis
simmer this mixture for 10 minutes.

Mix together
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cup jack cheese

Put some cheese on to a tortilla and roll it up ( not too tightly)
Keep going until you fill a 9x13 pan up with the tortilla rolls.
Pour meat mixture over tortillas and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
You can top with more cheese if you wish!

very easy jkath...

just brown the meat and drain.
add your favorite gravy to it
w/ mushrooms if you want
or peas or anything that you like.
simmer til the gravy thickens and
then serve it over mashed potatoes.

jkath, Middie has come up with a reall winner idea here...

One of my Mom's old "recipes" that were never written down, you just sort of make it by "eyeball"...

Audeo will go nuts on me if she sees this, but I would suggest "regular" (ie "fatty") ground beef, undrained, that you can use flour/starch (pick your poison!) to work up an "in the pan" gravy...adding a diced onion, finely sliced carrot "rounds", peas (as late in the cooking process as practical), veggie stock to "water" your gravy mixture...what the heck, toss a bit of grated garlic in there with Worcestshire to accent it...

(This still gets a bit "mushy" or "bland"...)(you might consider some spicey BBQ sauce or even "eek!", A1 Sauce or the like...you'll remember that its you eating it, not me!)

Anyways, over mashed potato's, perhaps you'd make them the "fatty" method, too, drained red potato with a goodly dollop of margerine/butter and a quarter cup of sour cream, a scallion skinned and finely diced, or 3 or 4 green onions, split and finely sliced, mashed all together...

I'm not "big" on rice...but can see this served up over boiled and buttered wide "egg noodles"...sort of a "Poor Man's Stroganoff"...

Pretty quick and easy to make; tastes great; reheats well and hardly expensive...

If you "put up a scene" on what a "struggle" it was to do this, you might be able to mentally beat hubby and offspring into at least "assisting" with the cleanup...(snickering!)...

BTW, the mashed potato thing is rated "outstanding" in our home, as a "stand alone" thing, where no gravy is on offer, but I expect that everyone in the Free World already knew that...

Lifter

My mom used to make this recipe when I was a kid. I have not had it in years, but it was a family favorite.

Hamburger Pie

1 lb. ground beef
2 2/3 cups instant potatoes (dry)
1 egg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
¼ cup ketchup
1 cup milk
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 350º. Combine meat, 1 1/3 cups instant potatoes (dry), egg, salt, pepper, minced onion, ketchup, and milk. Spread in an ungreased 9-inch pie pan. Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes.

Prepare remaining 1 cup of instant potatoes as directed on package for four servings. Top baked meat with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven. Bake 3-4 minutes longer until the cheese melts.

Last edited:
Well, if you're adventurous and if you like spicy, you might want to try one of my favorite Thai dishes: (you can always reduce or eliminate the chili)

THAI SPICY GROUND BEEF SALAD

Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 lb Ground beef
2 tb Fish sauce
6 Shallots, thinly sliced
- chopped
2 tb Ground roasted sticky rice
1/4 c Lime juice
2 tb Scallion (spring onion),
2 tb Cilantro leaves, chopped
1 t bird's eye chili pepper, chopped
15 Mint leaves

Description:
The blend of fresh herbs and lime juice makes this salad very refreshing. This laab recipe was taken to Bangkok by the people of the Northeast and is one of the favorite dishes of Thailand. Other meats such as chicken or pork can also be used.

Directions:
Combine the ground beef with the lime juice, fish sauce, and shallots.
Heat a skillet and cook the ground beef mixture on medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until the beef is cooked.
Remove the skillet from the heat and add the chopped green onion and
cilantro and the ground roasted rice. Mix thoroughly so that everything
is well combined.
Remove to a serving plate, spoon the ground pepper on the side of the
plate if desired, and garnish with the mint leaves.
Serve with an accompaniment of raw vegetables, such as long string beans or snake beans, sliced cabbage, green leaf lettuce/Chinese lettuce, basil leaves, and swamp cabbage or spinach.

** TERMS
Roasted sticky rice: Prepared by adding raw sticky rice to a hot skillet
and cooking until it is golden brown. Add a tablespoon of water to the pan at occasional intervals. Grind in a mortar with a pestle if ground roasted sticky rice is needed.

Fish sauce: A salty, pale brown liquid used widely in Thai
cooking, this is made from fermented small fish or shrimp. The fish are
salted and fermented in jars and then the liquid is collected. It adds
salt to many dishes and is essential for authentic Thai flavors--and is
available from Asian food stores.

Here is a great meatloaf recipe from “Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen”© page 112,113. I don't even like meatloaf, but everyone who has made it says it it the best they ever had.

Cajun Meat Loaf
Makes 6 servings

This is best using both ground pork and ground beef, as the pork gives more flavor diversity. However, you can make it with ground beef only.

Seasoning mix:
2 whole bay leaves
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground red pepper (preferable cayenne)
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
¾ cup finely chopped onions
½ cup finely chopped celery
½ cup finely chopped green bell peppers
¼ cup finely chopped green onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup evaporated milk
½ cup catsup
1½ pounds ground beef
½ pound ground pork
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup very fine dry bread crumbs

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter in a 1 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, green onions, garlic , Tabasco, Worcestershire and seasoning mix. Sauté until mixture starts sticking excessively, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well. Stir in the milk and catsup. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.

Place the ground beef and pork in an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Add the eggs, the cooked vegetable mixture, removing the bay leaves, and add the bread crumbs. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined. In the center of the pan, shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 1½ inches high, 6 inches wide and 12 inches long. Bake uncovered at 350º for 25 minutes, then raise heat to 400º and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer. Serve immediately as is or with Very Hot Cajun Sauce for Beef (page 251).

SierraCook said:
My mom used to make this recipe when I was a kid. I have not had it in years, but it was a family favorite.

Hamburger Pie

1 lb. ground beef
2 2/3 cups instant potatoes (dry)
1 egg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
¼ cup ketchup
1 cup milk
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 350º. Combine meat, 1 1/3 cups instant potatoes (dry), egg, salt, pepper, minced onion, ketchup, and milk. Spread in an ungreased 9-inch pie pan. Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes.

Prepare remaining 1 cup of instant potatoes as directed on package for four servings. Top baked meat with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven. Bake 3-4 minutes longer until the cheese melts.

Oh WOW! My mom used to make this too. I'd forgotten all about it!
She added canned green beans too. Thanks for the memory.
I'll have to make this for Paul someday soon! :D

okay, Lifter, you hit the nail on the head - I've got to stop reading posts when I'm hungry!!!! (I'd never add BBQ sauce or A1, so you needn't worry about me! And asking dh to clean? You're kidding, right? He works. I keep the house in order. Cleaning isn't at his job, so that would make it mine. ;)

Mike - I will try this one - I think it sounds good and hearty for this season. I like the idea of pork with the beef.

Chopstix - is there anything I can substitute for fish sauce? (not big on seafood/salt) Other than that, the recipe looks quite interesting! I love spicy!

Also, #1son saw me posting this topic yesterday, and asked in a very nice, 12-year-old tone, "can you TELL them I am not a fan of cheese?"

How about just good ol' hamburger steak - with caramelized onions - or chicken fried hamburger patties - form patties and chill - then dip in milk and breadcrumbs and fry in melted shortening.

jkath said:
Chopstix - is there anything I can substitute for fish sauce? (not big on seafood/salt) Other than that, the recipe looks quite interesting! I love spicy!

jkath, you can use salt instead, and maybe add 2 tbsp water for moisture. Salt according to your preferred taste! :)

Cornbread/Hamburger Casserole

1-1/2 lb. hamburger meat
2 15oz. cans Ranch Style Beans
1 medium jar picante sauce
2 cups shredded cheese (we use colby and Jack or mozzarella)
2 boxes jiffy cornbread mix
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk

heat to 350

Brown hamburger meat and drain
Place hamburger in a deep 9x13 baking dish
stir in beans and 3/4 jar picante sauce (or to your taste)
Top with cheese
Prepare cornbread as directed on box
pour cornbread over hamburger/cheese
Bake until cornbread is golden brown (appx 20-30 minutes)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom