I.S.O. Salisbury Steak Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I'm looking for a Salisbury Steak recipe.It's for dinner tomorrow night.
If someone could help me out here I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks
Munky.

Here's the one I use. I forget where I got so can't give credit.

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 env. onion soup mix
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1/4 c. milk
1 egg
2 tbs. oil
2 tbs flour
1 1/2 c. water

Mix soup mix, beef, bread crumbs, milk and egg.

shape into patties. Brown patties in skillet with oil.

Remove patties and add flour - stir in water

Add 1 pkg brown gravy mix or onion soup mix

add patties back to skillet - cover

simmer for 20 mins.

I've done kadesma's onion sauce too for something different replacing pork chops with the salisbury steak patties.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/pork-chops-in-onion-sauce-rec-18011.html

cooks.com has several good recipes.
I like to put in a little tomato paste in addition to the brown gravy type stuff. I also use a cubed steak instead of making hamburger patties, and have done it with round steak, too. Lightly flour, brown, set aside. Brown onions, pince tomato paste, deglaze with beef stock, put steaks back in and simmer. One can add peppers and garlic along with the onions. I tend to keep it simple. I like it with a cheesy mashed potato.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me out here.I looked every where for a at least one consistent recipe,and method of cooking it.That didn't happen.No two Salisbury steaks are the same.

Not having prepackaged seasoning mixes on hand,I don't use them at all.I had to get clever.The end dish that I wanted had to have a nice looking gravy, fork tender patties,lots of flavor.I got it! Woot! :rolleyes:

*INGREDIENTS*

2 lbs extra lean ground beef
1/4 cup fresh basil
2 slices of bread
1/4 cup-- if that of milk,just enough to make the bread moist,not soggy
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup finely diced yellow onions
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
olive oil
kitchen bouquet
corn starch
1 1/2 Tablespoons beef or chicken bouillon
4 cups water *approx*
Mushrooms and carrots would have been a nice touch

In a small bowl lightly whisk the egg yolks set aside
In another small bowl soak the bread slices in the milk,add a dash of pepper. When it absorbs the milk, moosh it up good,you don't want large chunks of bread.Set it aside.
Using a KA attach the flat beater.
Use the bowl and add the meat to it.
Add to the meat Worcestershire sauce,egg yolks,bread mixture,basil and a little more pepper.
Because the meat is lean you don't want to over mix it.Doing that makes the meat tough.Mix the meat mixture just until you see that everything is thoroughly mixed.
Make your patties about 1/4 in thick or slightly larger,it's up to you the size you want.
*COOKING*
In a l large skillet,med heat add the olive oil about 2 Tablespoons and onions.Cook them until the onions caramelized.When done add the patties.Cook them until just done,still juicy.Remove them from the pan.Reserve as much onions as you can.
*GRAVY*
In the same pan add the bullion, water,little more pepper, 2 to 3 teaspoons of kitchen bouquet,2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce.Mix it up and taste and adjust the seasonings to suit you.Bring it to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer while you get the cornstarch ready.

In a small bowl mix 1/4 cornstarch,and a 1/4 water.Mix it up.
Add the cornstarch to the simmering base.Mix well,as it simmers.
Add back to the simmering gravy the meat patties.Let them simmer in the gravy about 15 minutes covered.Turn and stir a few times in between.
The gravy will be a little thin at this point.You can thicken it up after the patties have been in there a few minutes.

Makes 8 patties
Enjoy!!
Munky.

Click the image to enlarge.

:shock: That looks wonderful! I will be trying this soon. Thanks for the recipe.

And, 3 hours long on my 56K dial-up connection.

I will go to my options page and turn off all pics, maybe avatars and smilies, too...

*newbie/oldbie/whobie sigh* I could scarf 3 servings of your plate right now, munky.

Hey guys,
I'm really sorry that the picture's were too large.I wasn't aware,just learned how to re- size them. It won't happen again.
I'll see what I can do to have them replaced.
Thank you for pointing the problem out.If I don't know I can't fix it.

Munky.

I think this recipe came from my step-daughter.

FRENCH ONION SALISBURY STEAK

1 ¼ lb. ground chuck
¼ cup fresh minced parsley
2 tbls scallion, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 tbls all-purpose
1 tbl olive oil
2 cups onions, sliced
1 tsp sugar
1 tbl minced garlic
1 tbl tomato paste
2 cups beef broth
¼ cup dry red wine (we like burgundy)
¼ tsp kosher salt
½ t dried thyme leaves
Cheese toasts
4 tsp minced fresh parsley (or dried)
4 tsp Parmesan cheese, shredded

Combine chuck, parsley, scallion, salt and pepper. Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape each into ¾-1” thick patties. Place 2 tbls flour in a shallow dish; dredge each patty in flour. Reserve 1 tsp flour.
Heat 1 tbl oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and sauté 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove from pan.
Add onions and sugar to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and tomato paste; sauté 1 minute, or until paste begins to brown. Sprinkle onions with reserved flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and wine, then add the salt anode thyme.
Return meat to pan and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
Serve steaks on Cheese Toasts with onion soup ladled over. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan.

CHEESE TOASTS

4 slices of French bread or baguette cut diagonally (1/2” thick)
2 tbl butter, softened
½ tsp minced garlic
Pinch of paprika
¼ cup grated Swiss cheese
1 tbl Parmesan cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400
Place bread on a baking sheet
Combine butter, garlic, and paprika, and spread on one side of each slice of bread. Combine cheese and sprinkle evenly over butter. Bake until bread is crisp and cheese is bubbly, 10-15 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom