Ideas for filet mignon??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I can't figure out what to do with them. They always come out tough and dry. Any easy suggestions? I don't want to have to go back to the store.

A simple moisturizer is 1 or 2 butterfly cuts and insert a nice strip af bacon in each b/fly cut. If you season normally you might not want to use salt in your seasoning due to the bacon will provide a comfortable amount. This is just a tip I have seen around for years. It tastes awesome.

Look for USDA choice as a minimum. Don't by USDA Select as it is a drier, more tough piece of meat. Also, sear the steak on the grill, under the broiler, or in a very hot and dry cast-iron pan. Avoid over-cooking. That is what dries out meat the most.

Fillet Mignon is often wrapped with bacon to add flavor and improve the texture. The bacon is secured with toothpicks. You can also brine them to add moisture, but this dilutes the natural beef flavor, which is lacking in the cut as it is.

Another way to improve the "mouth feel" is to serve with a sauce ladled over the top, be it a gravy, your favorite steak sauce, or some similar condiment. You can also place slices of fresh avocado on top, or a grilled portabella mushroom cap, or a tomato slice, or even a cooked artichoke heart.

Do a google-search for "tournedo recipe". You will find several recipes, all claiming to be the original recipe. But in any case, they will give you ideas about how to prepare this French classic.

Personally, I much prefer a good rib steak, bone on, to a fillet mignon. It is about as tender and has far superior texture and flavor.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Another thought:
Any time you get any meat from the store, ask the butcher!
I've gotten the best ideas from them!

Goodweed of the North said:
Personally, I much prefer a good rib steak, bone on, to a fillet mignon. It is about as tender and has far superior texture and flavor.

amen to this. Filets are too much trouble to get just right.

Also, if you like your steak anything above rare, the tenderloin (or filet) is the wrong cut for you. They need to be prepared quick and hot and remember to not cut into it for at least 5 minutes (10 is better) after you take it off the grill or out of the pan. If it's a really thick cut, you may be able to get away with medium rare but then again, it's harder to hit the right time on that doneness.
:) jmediger

OR ... if you have already cooked and ruined them, they make really good chunks for beef stroganoff and do soften right back up if you let them sit in the sauce for a good while.
:) jmediger

Thanks for everyones help!!
Yea, I know that a steak is alot better, but, I like a change every once in a while from the ordianry. Even a challenge :eek:)
I love sirloins myself.

I usually make filet mignon in a cast iron pan then finish in the oven. I first saute some onions, remove those, then add the filet's to sear then, throw the onions back in and then add worster sauce and finish in the oven, along with roasted potatoes that also have worster sauce and sauteed onions. The worster sauce keeps the steaks moist and adds alot of flavor without taking away from the beef flavor.

amber said:
I usually make filet mignon in a cast iron pan then finish in the oven. I first saute some onions, remove those, then add the filet's to sear then, throw the onions back in and then add worster sauce and finish in the oven, along with roasted potatoes that also have worster sauce and sauteed onions. The worster sauce keeps the steaks moist and adds alot of flavor without taking away from the beef flavor.

Thanks amber, I kinda did something like that, we'll see how it turns out.
I didn't do the veggies though.
I marinated in olive oil, soy sauce and a steak seasoning that I had then seared them in a pan and put them in the oven.

Okay, I had also cut a small slit in each one and dropped a little of the oil/ soy mixture put them on 350 for 20 minutes and then 375 for 10. They turned out moist and tender:)

Thanks for all your help guys!!! I had never seared any meat except roast before adding the water.

Last edited:
Glad your steaks came out good. Its tricky sometimes with searing meats, making then tender.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom