ISO Advice on Grilling Flank Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Time2Grill

Assistant Cook
Whats the best way to get it nice and soft?

iv been grilling flank steak for a few weeks now, and it come out great each time flavors are on the spot and cooked medium well.... i always cut it against the grain and my knives are SHARP... my knives skills are fine... so just wondering if theres another way to get it a lil softer... iv used both wet and dry rubs... or is that type of steak always going to have a lil bit to toughness to it?

You can tenderize it by mechanical or chemical means.

Adolph's Meat Tenderizer, a product available in supermarkets, contains a natural enzyme extracted for papaya and pineapple, that will tenderize the meat. Marinating in dairy, especially yogurt, will also do some tenderizing.

A jacarding tool, a device with sharp metal points used to repeatedly stab the meat to break up muscle fibers will also work to tenderize the meat. Pounding it with a meat mallet will also work. Use the side with the pyramid shaped points.

Cooking it to medium well does not help the situation. If you cooked it a bit less, say to medium, you would have better results.

ok thanks andy... i'll use a meat mallet next time.... and pick up some meat tenderzier

Andy M. said:
A jacarding tool, a device with sharp metal points used to repeatedly stab the meat to break up muscle fibers will also work to tenderize the meat.
In a pinch I have used a fork. It takes a little longer but it does the job when you need it to.

:) Barbara

Cooking it to med well is going to make it tough. Flank really should be no more than med rare at the very most.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom