ISO Beef roast info - red blood in the Ziploc bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I have a beef roast that has been defrosting in the refrigerator. I have a question or two.

1. A lot of red blood is in the ziplock bag now. What does this mean? I always wondered if I'm suppose to still use this.

I think tomorrow I might do a simple crock pot roast with potatoes and carrots.

Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the roast, because it was wrapped in the freezor and I never labeled it.

That's it for now I think. : ).
Thanks!!!!

If it wasn't cooked, it probably means that the blood that was oringinally frozen is now running free. Either that or the cut of meat wasn't cleaned very well.

Just discard the blood and rinse the roast and proceed. You don't use the blood that thawed out of the meat.

Your meat is fine. The bloody liquid in the bag is the blood and moisture that drains out of the meat during the thawing process. It's perfectly normal. Just toss it, wipe your meat with paper towels and cook as per your recipe.

Unless, of coure, the roast was certified kosher. Then, you've got a problem.

It's perfectly fine ... and it's NOT blood (Kosher or not) if it is fluid (blood would be dark red clots). The liquid you are seeing is the liquid bound up in the muscle fibers (in culinary speak it's the meat juices - technically in physiology it's called serous fluids) colored by a red pigment called myoglobin (a protein that gets it's red color from iron).

Raw Roast Juice: Discard or Include in Pot Roast?

It's perfectly fine ... and it's NOT blood (Kosher or not) if it is fluid (blood would be dark red clots). The liquid you are seeing is the liquid bound up in the muscle fibers (in culinary speak it's the meat juices - technically in physiology it's called serous fluids) colored by a red pigment called myoglobin (a protein that gets it's red color from iron).

Is it good to put that in the pot or discard it?

How about using it to deglaze?

Its the same substance that comes out of the meat while cooking It produces the fond that is so treasured when deglazing a pan. It also has sugars in it. Yes, it does coagulate. But just hit it with a submersion blender, or put it into the blender with the deglazing liquid. It has a lot of flavor. It also helps thicken gravies and sauces.

There are parts of the world where this substance is treasured, and coagulated purposely for it's nutritional content, flavor.

You know that liquid that appears on the top of burgers and steaks when they are cooking? That is the same liquid.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes, it's not good for deglazing, but it has flavor. I would deglaze with stock or red wine and add the liquid to the pan sauce.

+1
I do this also. After carving a roast or poultry I add the drippings on the board to the pan gravy.

Yes, it's not good for deglazing, but it has flavor. I would deglaze with stock or red wine and add the liquid to the pan sauce.

+1
I do this also. After carving a roast or poultry I add the drippings on the board to the pan gravy.
I agree, that coagulated mess is kind of unappetizing, but add it to something liquid and it adds flavour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom