ISO Beef Stroganoff recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurtthecook

Assistant Cook
i need one befor tomorrow night!! my brothers girlfriend and i are going to cook it for my family. thanks

-Kurt

The first recipe I have used. The second recipe was originally posted by AllenM and I have not tried it, yet. :)

Beef Stroganoff

From Diana Rattray,Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds top sirloin roast, trimmed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup beef bouillon or broth
  • 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
  • 3 tablespoons sour cream, room temperature
PREPARATION:

Cut beef into narrow 2-inch long strips about 1/2-inch thick. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan. Blend in flour; gradually stir in beef broth, stirring and cooking until thickened and smooth. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; quickly brown meat strips and onion on all sides. Add meat and onions to beef sauce. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes; stir in sour cream and heat through but do not boil. Serve over buttered noodles or rice.
Serves 4.

Beef Stroganoff

1 Beef round steak, partially frozen and cut into thin strips
salt and pepper to taste
vegetable oil
4 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 c finely diced onions
1/2 t garlic, minced
one can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 1/2 c milk, or to taste
1/2 t Worcestershire, or to taste
1 bay leaf
sour cream, to taste
Hot cooked rice or pasta

Heat a large skillet with the oil. Season the steak strips with the salt and pepper. Brown the beef, in batches if needed. Remove and keep warm. Add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic, with a little more oil if needed, and sauté until the onions begin to turn translucent. Add the milk, cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil while whisking smooth. Add the beef, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. When done, add sour cream to taste. Check the seasoning. Serve over cooked rice or pasta.

Last edited:
These are 2 pretty good recipes

3 cups beef stock
1 carrot, chopped
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons cognac
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons sour cream, plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
1 (1-pound) package wide egg noodles

Heat the beef stock with the carrot, 3 thyme sprigs, and bay leaf. Pat the beef dry and season it with salt and pepper. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet over high heat. Fry the meat in batches so that it is browned on all sides. Lower the heat to medium and return all the meat to the pot. Add the onions and cook until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Pour in the cognac and cook until the alcohol has burned off, about 5 minutes. Add the beef stock, discarding the carrot, thyme sprigs, and bay leaf. Cook, partially covered, over a very low flame for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter in the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and remaining 3 thyme sprigs and cook until the mushrooms are browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.

When the meat is done, remove it from the heat and fold in the mushrooms, sour cream, mustard, and parsley. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain the noodles well, toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and season with salt and pepper. Serve the stroganoff over the noodles; garnish with more sour cream and chopped parsley.

Butter and/or olive oil for frying
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 medium onions, diced
1 (20-ounce) sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch strips
Flour for dredging
1/2 cup red or white wine, plus more for deglazing pan
16 ounces beef stock
1 pint sour cream
1 tablespoon Worchestershire
Salt and pepper
Egg noodles or rice as an accompaniment
Garnish: parsley

In a hot saute pan melt butter and saute the mushrooms first then add the onions. The mushrooms take a little longer. In a separate pan brown strips of sirloin that have been dredged in flour. Set aside. When the onions and mushrooms are done, deglaze both of the pans with a little white or red wine and combine all ingredients into one pan. Add 2 cups beef stock, white wine or water and 1/2 of the pint of sour cream. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. During the cooking the sour cream will separate and some of the butterfat will become visible. This is normal, just stir the pot. Just before serving add the balance of the sour cream, stir to combine. Serve over noodles or rice pilaf and garnish with parsley.

A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.

Sierra, I also have a recipe for stroganoff that includes cream of mushroom soup. It is the one I cook the most often because it is so quick and easy and mostly because it's cheaper. I am always surprised on how well it comes out with so few ingredients. Have you tried the one with the cream of mushroom soup yet?

This is supposed to be the classic recipe created for a Czar of Russia when he visited Siberia. All the meat was frozen solid and the chef could only break off small pieces. This dish was created to present those scraps of beef in the best possible way. I'm sure I believe this story but it is colorful.

Beef Stroganov

1 T Powdered mustard
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Salt
4 Tb Oil
2 Tb Butter
4 C Mushrooms - sliced thin
4 C Onions - sliced thin
2 Lb Tenderloin or Sirloin
1 tsp Black pepper
1 Pt Sour cream

Trim all fat from the beef and slice into strips 0.25” by 1”.

Combine the mustard, half the sugar, and a pinch of salt with a Tb of hot tap water and stir to form a paste. Let it stand for 15 minutes.

Heat half the oil in a large fry pan or skillet. When the pan is hot, add the mushrooms and onions and stir. Cook covered over low heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and discard the juices.

Place the remaining oil and the butter in a hot fry pan or skillet. Brown the meat rapidly over high heat. Cook the meat in several small batches to ensure rapid browning.

Return all the meat to the pan along with the cooked mushrooms and onions. Add the remaining salt, pepper, sugar and mustard paste.

Add the sour cream a spoonful at a time and mix in gradually until it is all heated through.

Serve over buttered egg noodles or rice.

You can use the cream of mushroom soup to make a chicken or pork stroganoff too. I prefer beef but the husband likes the chicken better.

We like Meatball Stroganoff in this house - cheap and tasty :)

500g ground beef
2 large handfuls breadcrumbs
I large egg beaten
seasoning
2 tbs oil
2 tbs butter
1 large finely sliced onion
8 oz button mushrooms
Wineglass white wine or cider
1/2 pint heavy cream
1/2 pint sour cream
finely chopped parsley

Make up beef meatballs using ground beef, breadcrumbs, beaten egg etc. as usual (I like to make them the same size as the mushrooms). Fry off the meatballs in a large shallow pan in oil and butter. Remove and drain. Add a large finely sliced onion to the oil in the pan and fry until turning golden. Add about 8oz button mushrooms and fry until turning colour and onion is brown. Pour in the wineglass of white wine or cider, scrape all the crusty bits off the bottom of the pan and reduce to a syrupy consistency. Put the meatballs back in the pan and add the cream with a splash of water. Simmer gently for 10 mins, stirring now and then. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley and serve with boiled rice or noodles.

So how'd it turn out? It just occurred to me that while I do make stroganoff once in awhile, I've never committed my recipe to paper/computer. It's sort of one of those that I just whip out by reflex (it's a variation on one I created for a restaurant I used to run).

I'll have to actually get some of my "secret recipes" down on paper before I forget them!:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom