ISO Beef Stroganoff recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freefallin1309

Senior Cook
I'm cooking for DW a Beef Stroganoff, not a big deal for most, but my DW is an educated, trained, and very experienced chef and I want to impress her. She's not going to be in the kitchen with me like she is when we normally cook, so this be all me.

I have the basics down from various websites and DW's school books, but there's a diverse pallette here and thought I'd see if anything jumps out at me.

Also, what cut of beef do you prefer for this?

The original recipe was intended to be a relatively fast cooked meal using pieces of good cuts of beef such as tenderloin. I would stick with that. Here's my recipe.

There are also slow cooked versions.

Beef Stroganov

1 T Powdered mustard​
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Salt
4 Tb Oil
2 Tb Butter
4 C Mushrooms - sliced thin
4 C Onions - sliced thin
2 Lb Tenderloin or Sirloin
1 tsp Black pepper
1 Pt Sour cream

Trim all fat from the beef and slice into strips 0.25” by 1”.

Combine the mustard, half the sugar, and a pinch of salt with a Tb of hot tap water and stir to form a paste. Let it stand for 15 minutes.

Heat half the oil in a large fry pan or skillet. When the pan is hot, add the mushrooms and onions and stir. Cook covered over low heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and discard the juices.

Place the remaining oil and the butter in a hot fry pan or skillet. Brown the meat rapidly over high heat. Cook the meat in several small batches to ensure rapid browning.

Return all the meat to the pan along with the cooked mushrooms and onions. Add the remaining salt, pepper, sugar and mustard paste.

Add the sour cream a spoonful at a time and mix in gradually until it is all heated through.

Serve over buttered egg noodles or rice.

Andy's recipe is dead solid perfect, as usual. Here's another version that is a bit more subtle, but tastes great. I'm only adding it to give you options. I believe that it's equally as good, but with a different flavor profile.

Ingredients:
1 lb. bone-on rib eye, well marbled (or flat iron steak if you want something less expensive but nearly as tender)
salt
black pepper
3 tbs. AP flour
5 tbs. butter
8 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms (baby portabella)
8 oz. sour cream
4 cloves fresh garlic
1 yellow onion, finely minced
1 package Egg Noodles
1 cup milk (or beef broth)

Fire up the charcoal grill with a solid bed of natural charcoal (or, heavy sigh, gas grill if you must). While the grill is getting hot, season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper.

Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 tsp. salt and the package of noodles. Turn heat to low and cover. Set the timer for 8 minutes.

Heat a heavy frying pan with 2 tbs. butter until the butter begins to bubble. Combine the mushrooms, garlic, and onions and place in the hot pan. Cover and reduce heat to medium.

When the timer goes off, test the noodles. They should be chewy, but with absolutely no crunch. When done, remove from the water and set aside.

Put the steaks on the grill and cover with the vents open all the way. Grill for 2 1/2 minutes per side and remove to a plate.

Stir the mushroom mixture, lightly salt, and cook without the lid until the mushrooms are just starting to brown, stirring every couple of minutes.

Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining butter to the pan and allow to melt completely. Add the flour and stir into a paste. Cook over medium heat until the roux turns medium brown in color. Slowly whisk in the milk or beef broth to form a brown sauce. Add the mushroom mixture with any juices that have accumulated on the plate. Remove the meat from the bone, and dice into 1/4 inch pieces. Add the sour cream to the sauce. Add the meat and any meat juices from the plate. Correct the seasoning with pepper to taste. Serve over al-dente buttered noodles.

Note; there are some who would add sweet basil, or oregano to this dish. So you can play with the seasoning if you like. Me, I don't want any other seasonings in my stroganoff.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The original recipe was intended to be a relatively fast cooked meal using pieces of good cuts of beef such as tenderloin. I would stick with that. Here's my recipe.​

There are also slow cooked versions.​

Beef Stroganov

1 T Powdered mustard​

2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Salt
4 Tb Oil
2 Tb Butter
4 C Mushrooms - sliced thin
4 C Onions - sliced thin
2 Lb Tenderloin or Sirloin
1 tsp Black pepper
1 Pt Sour cream

Trim all fat from the beef and slice into strips 0.25” by 1”.​

Combine the mustard, half the sugar, and a pinch of salt with a Tb of hot tap water and stir to form a paste. Let it stand for 15 minutes.

Heat half the oil in a large fry pan or skillet. When the pan is hot, add the mushrooms and onions and stir. Cook covered over low heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and discard the juices.

Place the remaining oil and the butter in a hot fry pan or skillet. Brown the meat rapidly over high heat. Cook the meat in several small batches to ensure rapid browning.

Return all the meat to the pan along with the cooked mushrooms and onions. Add the remaining salt, pepper, sugar and mustard paste.

Add the sour cream a spoonful at a time and mix in gradually until it is all heated through.

Serve over buttered egg noodles or rice.

Looks really good :) i will give it a try ,

Back
Top Bottom