ISO beer marinade for ribeye steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
On our anniversary DH and I had drunken steaks at Mike's American Cafe in Springfield,VA. They had a really great flavor and nice crispy edges that were heavenly. I have some nice ribeyes here for dinner tomorrow night and would like to try a beer marinade. Anyone here familiar with this? How long to marinade? Other ingredients besides beer?

If it were me, I would prefer to use rum as opposed to beer....most commercially produced american beer (Bud, Miller, etc, etc.) has little flavor, IMHO.
However, you can certainly use beer. I would recommend for a basic beer marinade:
A pint of beer...your choice
Some soy sauce, maybe a tablespoon or two
Some brown sugar -- a couple or three teaspoons or more if you think it needs it.
Minced (or powdered) garlic 1-2 teaspoons, depending on your preference.
You can also add other flavorings as you see fit.
Let the beef rest, refrigerated, in the marinade for at least an hour, up to 4-5 hours.
I would also add that this treatment will most benefit a cut of beef that is lean and loose grained...like say skirt, or flank. But you can certainly use any cut you choose. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Hoot. We have some microbrews here at home that are more flavorful than the usual Bud and Miller. I was going to use one of them. Since ribeyes are pretty tender t o begin with I figured it would be a short marinade time. I know I won't be able to copy the flavor exactly since home grills are not as powerful as commercial ones but I hope it turns out okay.

Even I like this one! (not a beer drinker)

Guinness Marinade - Sauce
2 Shallots quartered
8 Garlic cloves quartered
6 Rosemary sprigs
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp ancho chile powder
1 ½ cans Guinness Stout beer (save ½ can for the sauce)
2 tablespoon unsalted butter cold (for the sauce)

Place first 5 ingredients in marinade pan, pour in 1 can of Guiness. Marinate steaks for three hours. Remove, pat dry. Pour marinade in sauce pan, add the half can of Guinness. Heat over med-high until reduced by half, keep hot. Grill steaks. Just before serving, melt butter into reduced marinade. Serve!

I think any good microbrew would be tasty with this and you can showcase a local favorite.

They turned out pretty good. I used 1 bottle of New Castle Brown Ale, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, and 1 Tbs minced garlic (I buy mine in the jar since I can never seem to do up fresh garlic well). Put it all in a Ziploc bag, added the steaks for about an hour (ribeyes, didn't want to let them marinate too long) and grilled. They got crusty bits on the fatty parts. I think I will try this again but add a bit more brown sugar and maybe more garlic.

Cerise, JD is good but not something we normally stock. We always have beer in the house of some kind for the "kids" (all of drinking age) and sometimes some wine.

Thanks Hoot. We have some microbrews here at home that are more flavorful than the usual Bud and Miller. I was going to use one of them. Since ribeyes are pretty tender t o begin with I figured it would be a short marinade time. I know I won't be able to copy the flavor exactly since home grills are not as powerful as commercial ones but I hope it turns out okay.

If you have one available, spread a solid bed of charcoal over your grill. Pile the coals so that they are about 2 inches from the meat. Let them get super hot. Put your marinated meat onto the grill, cover, and cook for about 3 minutes per side. The outer edge fat will crisp right up, and the flavor will be great.

If using gas, turn your grill to 650 to 700'F, and cook the steaks directly over the heat source. Again, cook about 3 minutes per side.

If you have no grill available, go to someone's home who has one :D.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom