ISO - Best meatloaf recipe you know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never realized how many different recipes there were for Meatloaf!

I make mine like meatballs because my family's not crazy for meatloaf and then cook it with diced tomatoes on top. Sometimes I add grated mozzarella cheese as a surprise filling.
I say surprise, because I don't do it everytime so it's a surprise when they cut into it and find out.

Grandma's is the BEST.... but she won't tell... hmph. I make mine in a glass dish with about a half inch layer of stuffing on the bottom of the dish. It forms a nice "crust" on the bottom. Trick being, buy quality ground beef, and drain if too much grease pools :sick: at the bottom. Ugh, after that grease visual, I am not making meatloaf for a long time....

The stuffing at the bottom sounds good.
I know what you mean about the grease. I don't make meatloaf very often either.

shannon in KS said:
Grandma's is the BEST.... but she won't tell... hmph. I make mine in a glass dish with about a half inch layer of stuffing on the bottom of the dish. It forms a nice "crust" on the bottom. Trick being, buy quality ground beef, and drain if too much grease pools :sick: at the bottom. Ugh, after that grease visual, I am not making meatloaf for a long time....

That orange puddle on the bottom of the dish is the best part. Especially when it gets hard the next day :LOL:

Last edited:
Regardless of recipe...to add a little punch to your meatloaf:

Fill the meatloaf tin with 1/2 of your mixture. Pat down and form a little groove down the middle (lengthwise). Fill this groove with high end extra sharp cheddar, then cover with a layer of fresh spinach leaves. Add in remaining meatloaf and pat down.

It doesn't add much to the overall flavor, but it's a fun surprise when serving...a little oozy cheese and a hint of green in the center! Yum!

Favorite Meatloaf

This is my FAVORITE meat loaf. It's juicy and delicious:

Veal and Mushroom Meat Loaf

Servings: 6
Ingredients
4 tablespoons Butter
1/2 pound White mushrooms diced to taste
Salt and Pepper
1 medium onion minced
1 medium bell pepper chopped fine
1/2 pound Thick-cut bacon chopped
4 slices Thick-cut bacon to cover loaf
2 1/2pounds ground veal not too lean
1 cup oyster crackers crumbled
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup prepared horseradish, drained
2 medium eggs lightly beaten
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour for sauce
1 cup sour cream for sauce

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter in a large skillet, add onions, peppers and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until just softened. Take off heat and let cool.
• Mince the chopped bacon in the food processor. In a large bowl, mix the bacon and veal, add the cracker crumbs, ketchup, horseradish eggs and cooled mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly with hands. You may test the seasoning by cooking a little of the mixture in a small saute pan.
• Pack the meat in to a 2 quart loaf pan and arrange the bacon strips on top to cover loaf. Bake uncovered for approximately 1 1/4 hours or until an instand read thrermometer reads 150 degrees. Take out, drain off juices into a medium sauce pan. If you like, crisp the top of the loaf under the broiler for about 1 minute. Take out and let the loaf rest (coved with aluminum foil).
• Meanwhile, melt the remaining 1 teaspoon butter in the saucepan with the meat juices over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Bring to a simmer and slowly cook until thickened. Add sour cream and cook until hot. Season with salt and pepper and serve with loaf slices. •

:chef:

I think Sushi is on to something! I always use oatmeal in meatloaf, makes for a firmer loaf that holds together better, it seems to absorb meat juices, and YES FAT...holding in the meat flavor, for a moister, tastier loaf.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
I usually cook mine like Barbara, but without the oatmeal. ...I wonder how it would taste with the oatmeal.

TxNorma said:
I think Sushi is on to something! I always use oatmeal in meatloaf, makes for a firmer loaf that holds together better, it seems to absorb meat juices, and YES FAT...holding in the meat flavor, for a moister, tastier loaf.

:question: :question: :question: :mrgreen:

I agree--oatmeal really makes for a great meatloaf. Try it with ground buffalo sometimes (Buffaloaf!).

Glad you have joined us TxNorma!

:) Barbara

This is on my "loaf list."

Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Loaf

1 1/4 pounds ground turkey breast
1 10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 egg whites
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 375°

In a large bowl, combine turkey, spinach, onion, bread crumbs, parsley, oregano, egg whites, salt and peppers. Mix until combined and divide in half.

Press 1/2 of the turkey into an 8-inch loaf pan covered in foil. Top bottom half with cubed mozzarella cheese. Press the rest of the turkey mixture over top and press down to flatten the top.

In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and mustard and with a pastry brush, brush the top of the meatloaf. Bake about 1 hour, until top is golden and the loaf begins to pull away from sides of pan. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

MEXICAN BEEF ROULADE

1 8.8 oz pkg Spanish style microwave ready rice
1 egg
1 TBSP dried minced onions
1 1/4 cup pineapple salsa, divided (Newman's Own)
1 tsp salt
½ tsp fresh ground pepper
1 pound ground round
1 ¼ cups soft bread crumbs, divided
1 ½ cups Pepper Jack cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 400. Spray 9" X 13" baking dish with nonstick
cooking spray.

Heat rice in microwave according to package directions. (90 seconds.)

In large bowl, whisk egg, onions, ½ cup salsa, salt & pepper.

Add beef and 1 cup bread crumbs to bowl. Combine until ingredients
are just mixed.

Place a 12" X 16" sheet of wax paper on work surface. Sprinkle
remaining breadcrumbs on wax paper. Place meat loaf mixture on wax
paper. Cover with a second sheet of wax paper (12" X 16"). With
rolling pin, roll beef into a rectangle – approx 11" X 14". Remove
top sheet of wax paper.

Sprinkle beef with 2/3 cup Pepper Jack cheese. Spread rice on top of
cheese to with 1" of edges. Sprinkle rice with another 2/3 cup
cheese.

Using wax paper to lift, roll up jelly roll style, starting with a
short end. Pull off wax paper as you go. Pinch seam & ends to seal.
Place seam side down in prepared baking dish.

Bake for 25 minutes.

Remove from oven, top with remaining salsa & cheese. Return to oven
and bake for 5 to 7 minutes – until cheese melts.

For a less spicy version, use mild salsa and a plain Mexican blend
cheese.

Mish - Your Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Loaf sounds absolutely brilliant, but WOW what a price!! That much turkey over here would cost a fortune, if it was available.

I've c&p'd and if I can't find any Turkey, I'll use chicken thighs - boned & minced (ground) - for the moisture.

Corinne - Brilliant!! But I gotta find some mature pepper cheese. If I can't, I'll wing it!

Last edited:
Thank you, Brooksy. I'll bet ground beef wouldn't be bad either - covered with lots of tomato sauce. :)

I have stuffed my meatloaf with mushrooms and sometimes i add cut up bacon in my. Not alot 1-2 slices cut up adds just alittle different taste.
My main recipe is basic- beef -pork-breadcrumbs- eggs- garlic-onions-parsley-thyme- S&P -little parm cheese and ketshup on the top
Sometimes i have added rosemary (just a little) gets powerful.
love it cold the next day in a sandwhich with some hot mustard and a slice of onion.

letscook said:
love it cold the next day in a sandwhich with some hot mustard and a slice of onion.

That's whay it is essential to cook a BIG meatloaf. :LOL:

Thick sliced & reheated on the barby is another fav.

As a change I add the Harissa spice mix to the mince along with chillis, garlic & fresh grated ginger.

This one has become my favorite so far...Emeril's Most Kicked-up Meatloaf Ever

2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic, plus 1 teaspoon
1 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup ketchup, plus 1/4 cup
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Heavy cream
2/3 cup Breadcrumbs
1 pound ground chuck
1/2 pound pork sausage (such as breakfast sausage)
1/2 pound ground veal
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons plus 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 slices bacon, cut in half
2 tablespoons white or red wine vinegar
1/2 cup canned tomatoes, chopped or crushed

In a large skillet heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted. Add all but 1/4 cup of the onions, the celery and all but 2 tablespoons of the bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and beginning to caramelize around the edges, about 6 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons of the garlic, the thyme, rosemary, and parsley and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
When the vegetable mixture is cooled, transfer to a mixing bowl and add the eggs, mustard, 1/4 cup of the ketchup, 1 teaspoon of the Worcestershire sauce, and heavy cream and mix until thoroughly combined. Add the breadcrumbs, ground chuck, pork sausage, ground veal, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Transfer meat mixture to a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan and using your hands, form mixture into a loaf shape. Arrange the slices of bacon on the top of the meatloaf and set aside.
In a small saucepan combine the remaining 1/4 cup of chopped onion, remaining 2 tablespoons of green pepper, remaining teaspoon of garlic, remaining 1/2 cup of ketchup, remaining 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, remaining 2 teaspoons of pepper, vinegar, and canned tomatoes and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Pour the sauce over the uncooked meatloaf and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the bacon and sauce are slightly caramelized on the top of the meatloaf. Remove from the oven and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Slice and serve along with the Macaroni with 4 Cheeses.

Dina said:
This one has become my favorite so far...Emeril's Most Kicked-up Meatloaf Ever... Slice and serve along with the Macaroni with 4 Cheeses.

Whoa -- another (belt) notch. :LOL:

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I don't add the 1/2 pound of veal. I just add a bit more ground beef. I guess ground pork would be tasty on this recipe as well. I also add dried herbs (thyme, rosemary and parsley) to my recipes. Fresh ones seldom keep well in my fridge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom