ISO Chicago style Italian Beef recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lxndr

Assistant Cook
My wife is from Chicago and loves to have Italian Beef (especially Portillos) whenever we go back.

I admit Portillos ROCKS. While I lived in Chicago, they were the one place I really liked to eat that sandwich.

Does anyone know how to make great Italian beef at home?

I looked over those recipes, and mine is a little different, but similar. I salt and pepper a chuck roast and sprinkle it with powdered G.S. Zesty Italian dressing mix. One packet is enough for an average (2-3 lb) chuck roast. Put it in the crock pot with a can of beer...any kind...and cook on low until tender. Check seasoning and add whatever is needed...more S&P, garlic, oregano, whatever.
You can shred the meat with two forks if you like it that way, or slice it with a knife. Either way, let it simmer a little while to soak up the seasonings.

I serve it with pepperoncini on the side, but some people (my son-in-law), pour the juice from the jar directly into the pot with the beef.

Serve it on a hoagie bun. You may dip the cut side of the bun in the juice if you like, or serve extra juice on the side in a small bowl.

Personally (and this is where I deviate from the norm), I like mustard on my bun. But then, I like mustard on my BBQ, also.

Back
Top Bottom