ISO help cooking a rib roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldschool

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone. I have been looking at tips on website for quite some time. I have bought a rib roast for my father this year. It is a small one as I don't eat meat. Can you give me any ideas....it is 4 lbs

Hello everyone. I have been looking at tips on website for quite some time. I have bought a rib roast for my father this year. It is a small one as I don't eat meat. Can you give me any ideas....it is 4 lbs

Generous coat of salt (kosher) and freshly ground black pepper. Pre-heat oven to 500F. Place roast in a rack, then into a roasting pan. Cook at 500F for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 200F for 1 hour per pound. This will give a rare roast. Cook longer for med-rare center. Use an instant read thermometer to check internal temperature, making sure you don't hit bone.

Everyone seems to have their own method for cooking rib roast. Craig's method will work fine.

But regardless, I would suggest you use a meat thermometer, especially if you don't have a lot of experience cooking meat. For medium rare (which is the typical serving temp for rib roast), I would roast it until it reaches an internal temp of 125F, then take it out of the oven and let it rest until it comes up to about 130F before carving.

This year I'm using the reverse sear method that's resulted in great results before.

Trim excess fat from the top of the roast leaving ¼" of fat. Cut a cross-hatch pattern in the fat with the cuts spaces 1" apart. Rub the roast all over with 2 Tb. of kosher salt. Place the roast on a platter and put it into the refrigerator, uncovered, for AT LEAST 24 hours before roasting.

Preheat the oven to 250ºF, place the roast on a rack in a roasting pan and insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the roast. Roast until the internal temperature reaches 120ºF-125ºF. Remove the roast from the oven, tent it with foil and let it rest for an hour. Preheat the broiler and place the roast back in the oven and broil for 5 minutes to create a nice crust on top. Slice and serve. (no need to rest the roast after the broiling because it has already rested).

This year I'm using the reverse sear method that's resulted in great results before.

Trim excess fat from the top of the roast leaving ¼" of fat. Cut a cross-hatch pattern in the fat with the cuts spaces 1" apart. Rub the roast all over with 2 Tb. of kosher salt. Place the roast on a platter and put it into the refrigerator, uncovered, for AT LEAST 24 hours before roasting.

Preheat the oven to 250ºF, place the roast on a rack in a roasting pan and insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the roast. Roast until the internal temperature reaches 120ºF-125ºF. Remove the roast from the oven, tent it with foil and let it rest for an hour. Preheat the broiler and place the roast back in the oven and broil for 5 minutes to create a nice crust on top. Slice and serve. (no need to rest the roast after the broiling because it has already rested).
Is this a prime rib?

Remember when we were told to not make any loud noises or jumping. It would make the cake fall. Well for the longest time I had my kids believing that, no matter what I had in the oven. "Sit quietly, the roast will never cook. There too many of you all in the kitchen. The turkey is going to come out raw" For years, they never knew there was a light in the oven and you could watch the food cook.

But I like your idea. And if the pitchfork should just happen to slip, I could always say I was doing an audition for Green Acres.

Just noticed GG's method and mine are basically the same. Maybe because he used to work at Cook's Illustrated.

I often find myself using that reverse sear method. It works well for so many different cuts of meat - everything from roasts to thick cut steaks - and couldn't be simpler:

Roast
Rest
Sear
Slice
Serve

My daughter has been trying to step up her cooking game this past year. This was one of the first things I showed her, and her boyfriend now thinks she's a kitchen wizard because her roasts always come out perfect. :)

I'll also be doing a reverse sear, but on the Egg. That will free up the oven for sides etc. Our roast is also boneless. On the bone was cheaper, but You had to buy the whole cryovac package. The smallest was $149.00.:(

I'll also be doing a reverse sear, but on the Egg. That will free up the oven for sides etc. Our roast is also boneless. On the bone was cheaper, but You had to buy the whole cryovac package. The smallest was $149.00.:(

I just picked up ours from Costco this morning. $8.99/Lb for a 6 pound boneless ribeye.

I just picked up a small, 2-bone ribeye roast on sale at Ralph's for $5.77/lb and will try the oven, reverse sear method for tomorrow's dinner. I've got it salted and in the fridge already. Rock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom