ISO help cooking beef tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithjka

Assistant Cook
This is my first time in this forum and actually quite new to cooking. This may sound like a dumb quetion but I'm making beef tenderloin for Christmas and I don't want to screw it up. My big turkey roaster just seems too big for the tenderloin. Can I use a jelly roll pan or do the sides need to be higher? Thanks for any help you can give me with this.

I wouldn't use a jelly roll pan. Do you either a 13 x 9 Pyrex dish or a pan like this? It doesn't have to be non-stick, just a deep sided pan. I'm afraid with the jelly roll the juices would over flow and you would have a dry tenderloin.

Then again, recipes vary. I know not much help. What I found was one recipe that says a jelly roll pan is okay.

For a section of whole loin (not individual medalions) coat with evoo S&P. Bring a skillet up to high heat and sear all sides of the loin. Place in a 325 oven until you reach an internal temp of 140-145 (med to med rare). Remove from pan, tent with foil and let rest for 20 minutes. Add beef stock, red wine, cracked pepper and shallots to the skillet and reduce by half.

Welcome!

Well, I have only cooked a beef tenderloin once! but it was this past Thanksgiving, and it turned out heavenly. So, here's another suggestion for a way to cook it..

rub tenderloin with olive oil then sprinkle liberally with salt, a big chunked kosher style works well, and freshly cracked pepper.. Heat a skillet to hot, sear all sides, taking a total of about 5 minutes to sear. Place meat in a lightly oiled roasting pan and coat meat with a paste of mustard, horseradish and minced garlic. Place in a hot (400*F) oven, in the middle of the oven. Do not overcook!! Cooking time depends on the weight of the meat.
Good luck!!

My Weapon of choice would be a cast iron skillet, or any other oven proof/safe pan.
Something to go directly from stove top to oven.

Enjoy!

a fairly low sided pan will work well if it is heavy (as some newer cookie sheets are.) Otherwise use a low sided roaster. sear as Jeekins instructs. throw in some chopped root veggies (carrots, parsnips, onion slices) and let the meat sit on those rather than a rack or the pan bottom. Season as you like (salt pepper thyme whatever) Jeekins temps are correct.

remember cook time is x minutes per pound at y temp. for your level of doneness.

If you have a probe thermometer with your oven you can set it up that way. If not cook time depends on the size of your roast.

THe less you open your oven, the more evenly it will cook.

Back
Top Bottom