ISO help w/coating for chicken fried steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becksnana

Assistant Cook
I would love to make chicken fried steak but all the recipes say to dredge steak in flour then in egg/milk mixture.. I cannot use eggs. Is it possible to just dip in milk then back in flour and still obtain good results?
Thanks for your help

Can you not use eggs in any form? That is, can you egg substitutes? If you can't use any form of eggs, then I would suggest you use evaporated milk instead of bottled milk. Evaporated milk is quite a bit thicker and would better aid in having the breading sticking to the meat.

If you cannot use eggs, use something a bit thicker than milk, either half and half or heavy cream. Do the flour, let it set till it's kind of soaked through. Then, do the liquid and then flour again. Wait till it's soaked through before cooking.

Now I do not use egg wash - don't care for it I dust my cube steak with flour, dip in milk then back into the seasoned flour. Good to us !

For a more crispy coating, dry the meat with a paper towel to make it sticky. Make a thick slurry of water and four, whisking until smooth (or use a hand blender to get rid of the lumps). Season to taste. Dip the meat into the slurry and immediately place in a couple inches of hot oil. This will give you a crispier coating that will just dredgeing in flour and milk.

You can also dip in seasoned flour, milk, then bread crumbs, or corn meal, or even uncooked farina to give it a nice coating. If you wan't to use the avant garde coating, dip in Panko bread crumbs. Sprinkle a bit of paprika on top and you have something that looks and tastes great.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Or you can skip both milk and eggs....dip the meat in the flour coating well...fry.
Save the milk for the Gravy!!

Last edited:
We often don't add the milk and eggs as Uncle Bob said.

Take flour, add S&P, maybe some cayenne (always do) and any other spices you think would go well.

Then we dredge, but also force the flour mix into the meat a bit with finger pressure. We let the stuff rest, and do it again. Then we pan fry with a quarter to half inch of oil in the pan.

Make a white suace, great with breakfast.

Since we are using cube steaks, they are fairly thin and make great sandwiches.

Put on tomatoes, lettuce, and anything else that suits your fancy from onions to avocado slices. It's your sandwich.

Or are great with some BBQ type stuff.

Like chicken fried steak with the whole egg-flour-milk mixture, but the flour one works out great.

auntdot said:
Take flour, add S&P, maybe some cayenne (always do) and any other spices you think would go well.

Then we dredge, but also force the flour mix into the meat a bit with finger pressure. We let the stuff rest, and do it again. Then we pan fry with a quarter to half inch of oil in the pan.

Yeah buddy!! That's what I'm talkin about;)

Sorry, I forgot, a fried egg or two on the steak is great. Kinda like a poor man's veal schnitzel ala Holstein, and is very tasty.

Becks if you cannot take the eggs, sorry, but am posting it because it does taste good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom