ISO Italian Beef Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm not sure what you mean by italian beef sizz, but i can still remember some of the best steaks i had were made by an old college girlfriend's mom, who was from naples.
i would go over her house after lacrosse games, and she'd have a huge salad and steak waiting for me. they were simple, but great. boy, i miss her mom...:chef:

all she did was marinate steaks like ny strips, t-bones, or even london broil overnight in good evoo, a tsp or two of oregano and parsley, s&p, and a few crushed cloves of garlic.
put under the broiler for a few minutes a side in the middle or lower setting (depending on thickness) until the meat just begins to firm up when poked with your forefinger, which should be medium rare.

I too don't understand exactly what you mean....
Beaf....
The best I know is "tagliata con rucola(arugula, I think)"
Tagliata (=cut) is simply a way to cook a good steak. Cut in slices 5 mm thick a good steak. Put them in some oil with rosemarin, sage, and the flavours you like for a couple of hours. Then, put in the oven a metal large dish, and let it become hot. Put it out, and put the slices on it. Simply, they have toi cook only with the heat of dish. Before serving, use a large amount of arugula, and rose pepper. Good appetite.
Then, what can I suggest?
Rosted beef with milk? Or with white wine? Or Saltimbocca? Or cotoletta? Or a large, gorgeus dish of many boiled meats, with their sauces? This is a prince dish in Turin...Let me the time to collect and translate the sauces recipes, and I'll give you....

I think I can help. Italian beef seems to be a Chicago area item, and many people have never heard of it. We love it around here. There's even a local place called Portillo's where you can order online and have it shipped anywhere in the country.

My own method for making Italian beef is to buy a nice roast (and I've used rump or chuck roasts most often) and place it in the slow cooker. I add a generous amount of minced garlic, minced onion, basil and oregano. To that I add a can of beef broth and several coarse chopped pepperoncinis or some giardinera. Turn it to low and let it cook all day. Some cuts of roast will shred, and some you'll have to take the meat out and slice it, then return it to the pot with the juice. Serve it on crusty French bread and spoon some of the juice over the bread. I like mine with hot giardinera and lots of onion.

Some people around here make theirs by adding a whole bottle of pepperoncinis and their juice to the roast, and even adding a packet of Good Seasons Italian dressing mix. To me, that would be too salty and artificial tasting (and I love salt!), but many people love that recipe. I can look for it for you if you want to try that one.

Italian beef sandwiches are one of our very favorite meals.

BC

I have an absolute cracker of an Italian recipe that uses beef. It is quite different to anything I have seen or eaten before but it is absolutely fantastic. No doubt RDG will recognise it :).

Alas I do not know where this recipe came from but it's great.

Peposo (Hunter's stew I believe)

2.5kg beef or veal shin, on the bone
20 garlic cloves, peeled
60ml freshly ground black pepper
5 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 bottles of Chianti or other fruity red wine
2 bay leaves

Slice your meat into chunky slabs and get it all off the bone. Preheat the oven to 150'C.

Get a large pan, just large enough to hold all of the ingredients. Place a layer of your sliced meat at the botton, cover with a few whole cloves of garlic, then sprinkle well with 15ml of pepper and a little salt. Add a sprig or two of rosemary, then repeat with another layer of beef and keep layering the ingredients until its all used up and the pan is almost full. Pour the wine over, add the bone and the bay leaves and top up with water if necessary to cover the meat.

Bring to the boil, cover tightly with a double thickness of foil, and polace in the oven for 6 hours or until tender. If you want to cook the stew overnight, lower the oven temperature to 140'C and it can cook for 8 hours or more until the meat is tender and falling apart. Make sure the foil is well sealed.

When the stew's done, take the foil off, skim off any fat from the surface and remove the bone, bay leaves and the rosemary twigs. The meat should be really soft and the juice light but rich and powerful. Taste and season if you think it needs it. Then break the meat up with a spoon and serve a ladleful of the stew on a hot toasted bruschetta with a drizzle of oil. Or serve simply with boiled carrots, chats and cavolo nero for a more complex dinner. Also good with polenta.

Serves 10.

Thanks BlueCat......you know exactly what I'm talking about. Our recipes are similar.

I brown each side of a nice roast then put it in the crock pot. I add enough water to cover the meat. **I think I'll try the broth next time like you do**. I then add garlic, basil, bay leaf, oregano, garlic salt, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I add a little of the pepperocini juice along with 2 small pepperocinis. I let this cook in the cooker for about 8 hours....till the meat pulls apart easily. I taste the broth and adjust the seasonings. Serve it on a hoagie bun....be sure to put some of the broth on the meat. Serve it with pepporcinis on the side.

DH like mozerella melted on his.

Haggis said:
I have an absolute cracker of an Italian recipe that uses beef. It is quite different to anything I have seen or eaten before but it is absolutely fantastic. No doubt RDG will recognise it :).

Alas I do not know where this recipe came from but it's great.

Peposo (Hunter's stew I believe)

Sure I know. If you allow me, this dish has (of course:LOL: ) a traditional history behind. It came from Florence, while building the S.Maria dome.
Brunelleschi, the architect, was very fond of this dish, and used eat it with the workers in the kiln, at noon. The full name is "peposo della fornacina", that can be translated "pepper tasty food at kiln way" (free translation....:angel: , "peposo" could mean " full of pepper"). The meat was cooked at the mouth of oven for a long, long time in order to have it tender, and pepper (that in those years was very expensive) was perfect to cover the flavours of not fresh meats.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom