ISO Italian style pot roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I'm planning an Italian dinner for my brother-in-law who's leaving to Alaska to serve in the Army. I would like to WOW my family. I'd like a meal with less pasta and more meat and veggies. Perhaps a risotto and some garlic bread will be the starches to serve. I would like to know how to make a fabulous Italian style rump roast or chuck roast (whichever is more tender or appropriate for an Italian main course-help with meat would be appreciated) with vegetables. I did a search and found this: Italian Pot Roast Recipe | Simply Recipes I would greatly appreciate some "tried and true" recipes for risotto and a semi-homemade (meaning I don't want to make any pastry doughs from scratch cause there's no time) Italian dessert (preferable a fruit dessert). I'm pressed for time as the dinner is tomorrow afternoon and I need to go get all the ingredients. I will be on the lookout for replies. Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:
the link you give is the recipe for brasato: i do it sometimes but to give the taste you have to marinate the meat at least 12 hours in the red wine with chopped carrot onion and celery plus black pepper.
at the end of 12 hours you can see that meat "drunk" about half of the wine, then you can put in a pot with the rest of the marinate and cook slowly slowly for about 2 hours and half (it depends on weight of the meat piece).
i know it's a long cook but brasato is an "overcooked" meat, it becomes really really soft.

i can give you a good recipe for a "normal" roast:
use young beef or pork (your butcher will suggest the best part i suppose^^).
in a pot pur 3 spoons of evoo and 20 grams of butter, then a white onion sliced thin, salt, pepper if you like and 1-2 sticks of rosemary.
let it get hot then put the meat piece in the pot, keep the fire quite high and roll the meat untill it's white in exterior on every side.
low fire, add 2 glasses of dry white wine and let it cook for 1 hour and half or how much you need for the weight of the meat.
keep an eye on the roast, if you see there's no liquid left add a little water o white wine and low the fire again.
roll the meat sometimes.
when it's ready let it cold (you can't slice hot meat, it broke^^) keep of the meat from the sauce, slice it, then add half a spoon of flour to the sauce (attention to lumps!!) mix and let it cook alone for a minute.
serve the sliced roast hot with the creamy sauce on it.
it's the quicker and tasty roast i usually prepare at home now and then.

the link you give is the recipe for brasato: i do it sometimes but to give the taste you have to marinate the meat at least 12 hours in the red wine with chopped carrot onion and celery plus black pepper.
at the end of 12 hours you can see that meat "drunk" about half of the wine, then you can put in a pot with the rest of the marinate and cook slowly slowly for about 2 hours and half (it depends on weight of the meat piece).
i know it's a long cook but brasato is an "overcooked" meat, it becomes really really soft.

i can give you a good recipe for a "normal" roast:
use young beef or pork (your butcher will suggest the best part i suppose^^).
in a pot pur 3 spoons of evoo and 20 grams of butter, then a white onion sliced thin, salt, pepper if you like and 1-2 sticks of rosemary.
let it get hot then put the meat piece in the pot, keep the fire quite high and roll the meat untill it's white in exterior on every side.
low fire, add 2 glasses of dry white wine and let it cook for 1 hour and half or how much you need for the weight of the meat.
keep an eye on the roast, if you see there's no liquid left add a little water o white wine and low the fire again.
roll the meat sometimes.
when it's ready let it cold (you can't slice hot meat, it broke^^) keep of the meat from the sauce, slice it, then add half a spoon of flour to the sauce (attention to lumps!!) mix and let it cook alone for a minute.
serve the sliced roast hot with the creamy sauce on it.
it's the quicker and tasty roast i usually prepare at home now and then.

Thank you. I'm going with your normal roast methods. The rosemary will be wonderful with it.

I would suggest punching some holes in the roast with a small knife and inserting peeled cloves of garlic. That really adds a lot of flavor.

Connie’s Lentil Soup TNT

I'd never cooked, or even tasted lentils before, so I've been studying recipes, and finally came up with my own. I was so good!

Connie’s Lentil Soup TNT

1 1/2 cup each brown lentils, chopped onions, chopped celery, chopped carrots
1 heaping tbl minced garlic
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced diagonally
2 cups leftover cooked chicken (opt)
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can chicken broth
1 can beef broth (I meant to use 2 cans chicken broth, but the mistake turned out well)
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
about 2 tbls pesto
olive oil

Rinse lentils and soak in hot water while you chop vegetables. In a dutch oven, saute onions, celery and carrots in a couple tbls olive oil until onions are translucent. Add garlic and sausage, and cook another 5-10 minutes. Stir in lentils. Add the diced tomatoes, broth, chicken and Old Bay. Cook until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in pesto and serve.

I didn't add any actual salt at all...there was enough in the broth, sausage and pesto.

I'd never cooked, or even tasted lentils before, so I've been studying recipes, and finally came up with my own. I was so good!

Connie’s Lentil Soup TNT

1 1/2 cup each brown lentils, chopped onions, chopped celery, chopped carrots
1 heaping tbl minced garlic
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced diagonally
2 cups leftover cooked chicken (opt)
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can chicken broth
1 can beef broth (I meant to use 2 cans chicken broth, but the mistake turned out well)
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
about 2 tbls pesto
olive oil

Rinse lentils and soak in hot water while you chop vegetables. In a dutch oven, saute onions, celery and carrots in a couple tbls olive oil until onions are translucent. Add garlic and sausage, and cook another 5-10 minutes. Stir in lentils. Add the diced tomatoes, broth, chicken and Old Bay. Cook until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in pesto and serve.

I didn't add any actual salt at all...there was enough in the broth, sausage and pesto.
I've added garlic cloves in slits of the roast before and it's delicious. I went with Andy's link for Giada DeLarentis's recipe. It was fabulous Andy!!! Thank you.

Your lentil soup is very similar to my mother's. I just had some this week when I was visiting her. It's such a simple, inexpensive and delicious soup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom