ISO Roast beef advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my plan for a 7 lb roast cooked at 225 degrees.

MY PLAN: 7 lb Roast
Out of the refrigerator at 9:30am and bring to room temperature for a few hours.
Heat the oven up at 11:15am
Put in the oven at 11:45am
Done between 2:45 and 3:15pm “approx” plus 15 minutes resting time. So either 3:00pm or 3:30pm will be dinner time or sometime in between
I'm thinking about starting sides around 2:00pm

I could always reheat the sides if need be. The slow cooked green beans take about an hour and the mashed...well how ever long it takes to boil the water and cook the potatoes, but definetely not more than hour I don't think.

more questions on prime rib

Now that it's getting closer, I'm getting confused.

The butcher shop says: $11.99/lb for boneless prime rib. There best prime rib is called "HIGH CHOICE". They told me in general it's prime, high choice, select and regular choice. All there prime ribs are black angus

Hannaford Buter says: $9.99/lb for boneless prime rib. There best prime rib is called "black angus" and they would give me the small end with less fat. They told min general it's prime, blackangus, select, and choice. There claiming blackangus is actually #1.

I don't know what to get now? I want it to be a very good prime rib.

I believe it's all USDA approved.

Prime is the top grade of beef, followed by choice then select, which is the lowest of the three. I don't think High Choice is a recognized grade. It sounds like something the shop uses to make it sound better and worth more. You don't find prime in retail stores very often. It all goes to the restaurants.

Black Angus is a breed of steer and is graded the same way; prime, choice and select.

Go to Hanneford's and get the Black Angus.

There actually is a high-choice, mid-choice, and low-choice grade. High choice is usually what good (not great) restaurants use, or steakhouses that don't designate their beef as prime (i.e. Outback Steakhouse).

Regardless, unless the meat is graded as prime, you're not really technically getting prime rib. However, the term prime rib is used to describe the particular cut of beef (standing rib roast), and not just the grade. The USDA actually recognizes this and the standing rib roast is the only cut of beef that can be called "prime" even though it might not be.

success

The fathers day dinner was a success. However, I got pretty nervous. I thought taking it out at 130 degrees would be sufficient. Remember i cooked it at 225 oven temperature. Started it around noon and it was done between 3 and 3:30pm. Well after it sat for 10 minutes or so, everyone was saying it was too rare for them. the oven was already shut off. We cut it into pieces and put it back in and kept watching it. It still came out perfect. I bought a VERY good piece of prime rib. It ended up being pink on the inside, but well done on some other pieces. I was disapointed that it turned into a frenzy for a little bit. Had to put dinner on hold. In the mean time allll my sides were done and already in dishes on the table just waiting to get cold. Even though they were covered. Green beans and mashed only stay warm for so long. So it was a little stressful. But in the end it all came out decent and people RAVED about the prime rib and how good it was. The hot au jus suace was good and people even liked trying out horseradish sauce with there roast beef.

Than they were dying over the homemade from scratch carrot cake and firenza choc. estasy strawberry short cake.

Back
Top Bottom