ISO Savory Filling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I picked up a nice piece of round steak the other day. I used a tenderizing mallet on it, and then a smooth mallet to flatten it more. I seasoned with S&P and then dredged it in egg-wash and flour. I rolled it and secured the roll with a toothpick. It was then placed in a 425' oven for about 30 minutes.

It was so very tender, which is important for my wife. But I found it bland. I can't use pepper as my DW can't handle the heat of even ketchup. So I'm somewhat limited with the spices I can use.

I'm looking for a savory filling for this rouladden, that won't have too many onions (again because of my DW), but will be full of flavor.

We love mushrooms, and most veggies, rice, etc. No bread dressing is allowed either for the same reasons as listed above (DW's kind of picky, Ok, very picky). So you can see my dilema.

If it were just me and my kids, i would use bread dressing with plenty of sage, or spread with freshly sliced onions and cloves of garlic, use black pepper, worcestershire sauce, etc., etc.

Maybe I'll just have to make 2 seperate rouladines, with a rich beef gravy for her (thickend with cornstarch), and soemthing more flavorful for the rest of us.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Your later ideas sound like good reasoning. Also a different side or sauce (perhaps a good chutney or similar sauce) with more flavor for you, without affecting the entire dish would work. What a wonderful thing - to be cooking for your wife. My dh can make omelets and scrambled eggs. We can't live on that.

licia said:
Your later ideas sound like good reasoning. Also a different side or sauce (perhaps a good chutney or similar sauce) with more flavor for you, without affecting the entire dish would work. What a wonderful thing - to be cooking for your wife. My dh can make omelets and scrambled eggs. We can't live on that.

I do 99% of the cooking in my home. I jsut kind of took over the kitchen about 3 months into our 30 + year marriage.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

DXW - or is she XDW or exDW(?) - anyway she was Brooklyn Italian and used to make something similar - braciole, although the way she pronounced it it sounded more like "brigole" ... just like they do on "Everybody Loved Raymond".

She had several ways of making it - but my favorite filling was a paste of mushrooms, ricotta, a few bread crumbs, a little garlic and spinach - seared and then simmered in a tomato sauce.

Hope the above link leads you to some ideas that you can use!
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=braciole+recipe

Back
Top Bottom