ISO Swiss Steak recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boobuster

Assistant Cook
I was wondering if anybody could help me with getting a good Swiss steak receipe?

Last edited by a moderator:
there was my Parent's recipe- round steaks, dipped in flour/salt/pepper, fried in shortening, then squished canned tomatoes & onion dices. smashed taters too.
then there was my school's recipe- tenderized cheap cuts of beef, & basically a rich brown gravy of pan drippings, stock, & cornstarch slurry.

I brown the steak then pour over a can of stewed tomatoes and a little red wine and cook until just done. I season the meat well before browning it.

My mom, had her own version and dad loved it. She would cut a round steak in to individual pieces then mix flour,dry mustard, salt and pepper then she pounded the steak, dipped it into the flour mix and pound it once more, then re-dip in flour mix. Now put it into a dutch oven in veggie oil, brown on both sides add one large sliced onion and let soften,add 3 carrots thinly sliced and at least 4 large tomatoes diced, about 2-3 Tab. Worchestershire
and 1-2 Tab. brown sugar, depending on what else were to be done she would cover and bake at 350 or simmer on top of the stove about an hour and a half. Most time we got a baked potato and salad with it.
kadesma

Saute onion and garlic, set aside. Brown sliced sirloin (you can use top round) Return onions and garlic to the pan. Add canned tomatoes, mushrooms, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. If basil and oregano are fresh, add close to end of cooking. Simmer until beef is tender. I hope I'm not forgetting anything. I usually serve with rice.

Here's mine...

Swiss Steak

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sifted flour
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (2 pound) sirloin steak (1 1/2-inch thick)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 Package of Lipton Onion soup mix
1 small can tomato sauce

2 cups of water

Directions:

1. Mix flour, salt and pepper.
2. Pound into steak with tenderizer or potato masher. Brown in olive oil in heavy skillet.
3. Add Lipton Onion Soup mix to the 2 cups of water mix well and pour over steak along with tomato sauce.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom