ISO What To Do With A Piece of Tough Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did the Chief get his pills & nap? ;)

I wanna hear him sing again when he wakes up. :clap:

Andy I'd grind it up and use it for burgers/meatloaf and or sausage.

And if you have a dog or a cat you could chop it into small pieces and they'd be happy to help you use it up with love in there hearts. :cat:

In addition to the little ditty full of ideas, here's something that I've done successfully. Sprinkle Adolph's feet tenderizer(pre-school ager grandkids love it when you butcher names of things:D) liberally on one side of the round steak. Stab that beast until it's so full of holes that you wonder where the meat is. Now grill it over something hot enough to make smoke (like charcoal or flavorizer bars on a gas grill), just until the meat is browned on the outside, and red in the middle. Remove it from the grill and let it rest for 10 minutes or so. Now, bias-slice it thinly against the grain. Put it into a pita pocket with fresh bean sprouts, sliced avocado, sliced tomato, and a bit of EVOO. You can change the fillings of course. But don't tell my DW you're doing it. She'd restrict me from singing:ohmy:.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh my darlin, oh my darlin, oh my darlin Clementine...

I don't want a pickle, I just want my motor-cycle
And I don't wanna die. I just want my motor cy-cle.

In addition to the little ditty full of ideas, here's something that I've done successfully. Sprinkle Adolph's feet tenderizer(pre-school ager grandkids love it when you butcher names of things:D) liberally on one side of the round steak. Stab that beast until it's so full of holes that you wonder where the meat is. Now grill it over something hot enough to make smoke (like charcoal or flavorizer bars on a gas grill), just until the meat is browned on the outside, and red in the middle. Remove it from the grill and let it rest for 10 minutes or so. Now, bias-slice it thinly against the grain. Put it into a pita pocket with fresh bean sprouts, sliced avocado, sliced tomato, and a bit of EVOO. You can change the fillings of course. But don't tell my DW you're doing it. She'd restrict me from singing:ohmy:.;)

Oh my darlin, oh my darlin, oh my darlin Clementine...

I don't want a pickle, I just want my motor-cycle
And I don't wanna die. I just want my motor cy-cle.

Arlo Guthrie! "The Motorcycle Song (Significance of the Pickle)," right?

I cut the steak into super-thin strips, marinate and beat the strips to death with red wine and cracked black pepper overnight in the fridge and make Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches out of them. I put them under a low broiler until they are pink.

My very grateful dog gets the leftovers.

Arlo Guthrie! "The Motorcycle Song (Significance of the Pickle)," right?

I cut the steak into super-thin strips, marinate and beat the strips to death with red wine and cracked black pepper overnight in the fridge and make Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches out of them. I put them under a low broiler until they are pink.

My very grateful dog gets the leftovers.

Yep, Arlo Guthrie it is. But, how do you beat the meat with red wine? First, do you freeze it so that it turns into a solid, then beat it with the frozen chunk of wine? Doesn't it make a tremendous mess as it thaws in your hands? Is the ice strong enough to deliver enough force to break up the meat before it shatters? Does it stain your hands?

When I beat on meat, I use a meat mallet, not wine. That's an interesting technique you have.:LOL:

I haven't tried this, but supposedly Chinese restaurants marinate beef in black tea. The tannin in the tea tenderizes the meat. This is what they supposedly do with inexpensive cuts of beef used in stir fries. If I were to do this, it would be for meat for a stir fry. I would be tempted to grind it for burgers, meatballs, or meatloaf...

This - Velveting Meat for Stir Fry Dishes - Chinese Food. Only, poach the meet in 340' F. oil, or simmering water just until the coating turns opaque.

You can make a teryaki flavored marinade with the egg and cornstarch added for the velveting marinade, or any flavor you want. And remember our discussion with marinades, we found out that 20 minutes is all you need. More than that is simply wasted time as the marinade does nothing more to the meat.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom