Liver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
Hey guys; Its been way to long since I have fried up some liver and well its time :) BUT I know it has to be "just" right, so...any ideas of time on each side??? Hubby has only had it twice and kidlets Im not sure. I dont think Ive done it for them here. I TRULY want them to enjoy it cause it is so so so very good if done right! Oh and I seem to have more coming when I get my beef soooooo......Please help??

I prefer the bolder taste of beef liver, but since it tends to be tougher than calves liver, I tenderize by putting it in a bowl with a little milk. Don't leave it more than 10 or 15 minutes or it will tenderize itself into mush.

Frying shouldn't take more than 2 minutes a side. It cooks very quickly and any more time results in shoe leather. Just before I take it out of the pan, I cut into the middle of one of the slices. A little pink is perfect and tender.

im interested in this too....ive never liked liver, but its been a long time since ive tried it, and for some reason i think my tastes may have changed.....i'd like to hear how to fry it perfectly, as well as some other liver dishes for non-liver-lovers...also, what kind of liver are we talking here? i need all the details

I sold Liver Fingers in my restaurant for a while and they went well. Basically, you cut them in strips and do the, flour, eggwash, seasoned bread crumb thing and then deep fry. Then I would serve them with an onion gravy.

I prefer the bolder taste of beef liver, but since it tends to be tougher than calves liver, I tenderize by putting it in a bowl with a little milk. Don't leave it more than 10 or 15 minutes or it will tenderize itself into mush.

Frying shouldn't take more than 2 minutes a side. It cooks very quickly and any more time results in shoe leather. Just before I take it out of the pan, I cut into the middle of one of the slices. A little pink is perfect and tender.

Z is right on the mark........it should never be overcooked...it should be pink. In addition to the milk, I lightly flour mine. To me, you can't have beef liver (or calf liver) without fried onions and bacon. I prefer calf liver, but beef liver will do. I fry the onions and bacon first (keep warm) so I have the bacon drippings for the liver. Ohmygosh liver is now on grocery list......I love it and it's been ages since I've made it!!

I cook liver at least once a month. I cook bacon and onions first. The liver is triple dregded in seasoned flour, then fried.

I can buy Turkey Livers, I butterfly them dredge in seasoned flour the fry till pink in butter, they are not quite calves liver but at £2.80 a Lbs.

You're right Kayelle. I neglected to mention I either dredge in flour or sometimes bread crumbs. I just wanted to make sure to pass on the milk marinade trick and not overcooking.

I either have liver on hand or on the grocery list. I usually have it once of month or so. A pound of beef liver is only $l.50 so it is not only good for you, it's very economical.

I am not big liver lover, but i do eat it if served. I was in this etnic restaurant few month ago and served cow liver cooked in an intersting way. The liver was cubed, say an inch or just a bit smoller, and also there were same size chunks of fat. It was not even season. On a kebab sticks, you know those wouden things, and fried right on the open fire, well like on a grill. It was so tender and so tasty, I loved it. This was for sure the first one for me.

Well I failed at the Liver :( As is in Tanis took out stew meat instead of so liver and by the time I went to cook it was to late to thaw said liver, so it is going to be saved for the weekend! Thank you SO much for the hints! I always dredge them but never knew about the milk with the liver thing. Will be careful when I do do it and will certainly let you all know how it went :) SO excited!

doesnt liver need to be cleaned/deveined/prepped in some way before cooking? or is it good to go from the store?

maybe im thinking foie......

I cook it as is. They must take care of that during processing. I've never had any problems.

Like Z, I've never had any problems. My Dad was a meat cutter, in those days known as butchers. I remember watching him slice liver in beautiful uniform slices. When he would hire a butcher for his meat market, he would test them by observing them slice liver in nice uniform slices. If they failed the test he didn't hire them. I always think of that when I buy sliced liver in the tubs at the supermarket, to see if the butcher would have passed Daddy's test. More often than not, they wouldn't have been hired. :glare:

Like Z, I've never had any problems. My Dad was a meat cutter, in those days known as butchers. I remember watching him slice liver in beautiful uniform slices. When he would hire a butcher for his meat market, he would test them by observing them slice liver in nice uniform slices. If they failed the test he didn't hire them. I always think of that when I buy sliced liver in the tubs at the supermarket, to see if the butcher would have passed Daddy's test. More often than not, they wouldn't have been hired. :glare:

I have a compulsion to square mine up and make them the same size...portion control!!! Easier to cook if they are all the same size, too!

How the heck does someone cut liver into even thickness slices? The liver wiggles and jiggles while you try to cut it. Does everyone do it partially frozen?

I've seen very evenly cut liver twice. One was a butcher who took the liver out of the freezer at the right consistency and cut it by hand where everyone could watch. The other time was some frozen beef liver I bought at a supermarket. It looked like it had been frozen solid and cut with a band saw.

I don't buy frozen liver after that. That liver was so awful tasting that the dog wouldn't eat it. :LOL:

:LOL:"How the heck does someone cut liver into even thickness slices? The liver wiggles and jiggles while you try to cut it. Does everyone do it partially frozen?"
Dad didn't do it frozen, nor was the test done with a frozen liver. Dad was a very exacting task master.....I guess that's why he chose such a demanding skill for a butcher. It was certainly a different era than today.

Last edited:
:LOL:"How the heck does someone cut liver into even thickness slices? The liver wiggles and jiggles while you try to cut it. Does everyone do it partially frozen?"
Dad didn't do it frozen, nor was the test done with a frozen liver. Dad was a very exacting task master.....I guess that's why he chose such a demanding skill for a butcher. It was certainly a different era than today.

Well then, HOW? Can you do it?:chef: I'd just roast it whole and cut it after:ROFLMAO:.

Well then, HOW? Can you do it?:chef: I'd just roast it whole and cut it after:ROFLMAO:.

:ohmy: OMG....the thought of a liver roast turns me green. :sick::yuk::LOL:

How can you slice a non frozen liver? I have no idea but I've seen it done many times.
Don't they have to state if a meat has been previously frozen on the package? I don't recall ever seeing that on a white tub of fresh beef liver, so I assume it must be sliced by someone in a non frozen state.:ermm:

:ohmy: OMG....the thought of a liver roast turns me green. :sick::yuk::LOL:

How can you slice a non frozen liver? I have no idea but I've seen it done many times.
Don't they have to state if a meat has been previously frozen on the package? I don't recall ever seeing that on a white tub of fresh beef liver, so I assume it must be sliced by someone in a non frozen state.:ermm:

And the slices are usually very uneven nowadays. Doesn't make cooking it easy. One end is still raw in the middle when the other end is already cooked to dry.

Back
Top Bottom