Looking to try roasting a tri-tip roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point, Kay. Also Caslon, the grain doesn't run uniformly throughout the tri tip - it changes direction. :)

Here's a document I saved a while ago on tri-tips. Carving directions are at the end.

Attachments

• Tri-Tip Info.pdf
    736.6 KB · Views: 95
I saved that pdf, thanks. I've got some more stores to check for tri-tips.
Stater Brothers and Albertsons.

Side note: A Washington state chain called Haggen's bought up 12 Albertsons stores in my area (So.Calif) recently and now they've filed for bankruptcy! All 12 large supermarkets to close by Thanksgiving. Thanks a lot Safeway...who acquired Albertsons then turned right around and sold them to Haggen's. A scene right out of the movie Wall Street and Gordon Gecko. Luckily there are still 2 Albertsons that are family owned but I have to drive 20 miles to them. No word yet on who's going to take on all 12 closed stores. Haggen's drove customers away with their bad service. Ralphs and Vons have spoiled us with their excellent service. Haggen's couldn't cut the mustard with customer service. Haggen's is ruined now as a store chain that started in 1958 in Washington state. They bit off more than they could chew. It's a shame all the way around. There was an Albertsons right down the street from me.

Last edited:
Calson, I have good luck at Von's if you have one near. Von's had them on sale recently for $3.88/lb untrimmed, and $5.88/lb trimmed. I prefer to trim my own, although I usually remove a lb of fat leaving a 1/2 fat cap. I think there's more fat than that on the trimmed ones however. It's rare we ever purchase them not on sale.

Tri-tips taper off towards the back quite a bit. I might slice off that part and treat it like a steak, keeping the thicker up front part for roasting.

I saved that pdf, thanks. I've got some more stores to check for tri-tips.
Stater Brothers and Albertsons.

Side note: A Washington state chain called Haggen's bought up 12 Albertsons stores in my area (So.Calif) recently and now they've filed for bankruptcy! All 12 large supermarkets to close by Thanksgiving. Thanks a lot Safeway...who acquired Albertsons then turned right around and sold them to Haggen's. A scene right out of the movie Wall Street and Gordon Gecko. Luckily there are still 2 Albertsons that are family owned but I have to drive 20 miles to them. No word yet on who's going to take on all 12 closed stores. Haggen's drove customers away with their bad service. Ralphs and Vons have spoiled us with their excellent service. Haggen's couldn't cut the mustard with customer service. Haggen's is ruined now as a store chain that started in 1958 in Washington state. They bit off more than they could chew. It's a shame all the way around. There was an Albertsons right down the street from me.

I know that Albertson's had been going downhill in the Denver area for a long time. I don't even know if there are any left there - haven't seen one in years. Safeway, King Soopers (Kroger), and Whole foods seem the most common.

Tri-tips taper off towards the back quite a bit. I might slice off that part and treat it like a steak, keeping the thicker up front part for roasting.

Good idea Caslon.

I've been cooking tri tips since they first came on the California market in the '60's. It took me all these years to finally figure that out. :ermm::wacko:
The benefit is you can cook individual pieces to rare.

Good idea Caslon.

I've been cooking tri tips since they first came on the California market in the '60's. It took me all these years to finally figure that out. :ermm::wacko:
The benefit is you can cook individual pieces to rare.

Ralphs also carries tri tip already sliced into small steak sizes. They usually package about 5 or 6 of these 'steaks' in a package, and not the whole roast, the tips are left out. You might save a little money this way because most all the fat has been trimmed and you're not getting the ends. You're getting nice, uniform chunks of steaks.

Last edited:
Sounds like another benefit of cutting it into pieces or steaks is that you don't have to worry about which way you're slicing the roast. I've had tri tip that my dad grilled when we were visiting in California, but I've never made it myself. I've seen it at a couple of good grocery stores here, though.

Like these.... "Boneless"??...LOL

Attachments

• Capture318.png
    Capture318.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Ralphs also carries tri tip already sliced into small steak sizes. They usually package about 5 or 6 of these 'steaks' in a package, and not the whole roast, the tips are left out. You might save a little money this way because most all the fat has been trimmed and you're not getting the ends. You're getting nice, uniform chunks of steaks.

I've voted against those sliced steaks RF. Even when they are correctly sliced against the grain they are too thin to get them rare. It's really the same idea as round steak the way I see it. I guess if you don't care for rare meat it would be ok.
Notice the description label says beef loin on that package.

Last edited:
I've voted against those sliced steaks RF. Even when they are correctly sliced against the grain they are too thin to get them rare. It's really the same idea as round steak the way I see it. I guess if you don't care for rare meat it would be ok.
Notice the description label says beef loin on that package.

Yeah, that was not a very good example there, including the description. Next time I'm at Ralphs I'll snap a pic.

I've never seen them pre-sliced before. I did get a kick out of that picture you posted, RF - "boneless loin" :LOL:

I think next time I'll try the suggestions of cutting off the thinner end before grilling. Usually I put the coals off to one side, and put the thicker part of the roast on the hotter part of the grill.

I LOVE Ralphs and Vons. Sure wish we had one or the other here. My daughter in Valencia shops at Ralphs and I enjoy going there with her when I go down to visit.

Caslon, I hadn't heard that about Albertsons being bought out. Guess I should read the news more. :ermm: I knew something was up when I stopped in Albertsons real quick a few days ago and saw "Safeway select" items. :huh:

Last edited:
Caslon, I hadn't heard that about Albertsons being bought out. Guess I should read the news more. :ermm: I knew something was up when I stopped in Albertsons real quick a few days ago and saw "Safeway select" items. :huh:

It's right out of the movie Wall Street. Safeway acquired Albertsons KNOWING that they would have to sell the stores right away by law. It was purely a greedy money move by Safeway.
Poor Haggen's bought the stores at a tidy profit to Safeway only to fail a few months later. Bad feedback from customers who were used to the better quality of service from Vons and Ralphs. Safeway acted just like Gordon Gecko did in that movie. Famous quote after Gecko acquires an airline just to break it up and sell it by parts..."Because it's wreckable, that's why!!!!"

Last edited:
I use to bbq mine on the grill, but ours runs real hot. Now, I heat the oven to 500. I place a 2 1/2 - 3 lbs marinated tri in. Cook for 15 minutes then turn the oven off. Do not open the door while it continues cooking for 45 minutes. Let it rest before cutting. Perfect everytime.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hi flwrjunke, and welcome to DC! :flowers:

I haven't tried that method personally, but I've heard those who have tried it have had very good results. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom