Looking to try roasting a tri-tip roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I've not cooked this cut of beef before and have some questions.

Are all tri-tip roasts all listed as such or are some/all listed as loin?
Many seem someone flat, but I guess that's the nature of this cut. I'm on the lookout for one with a higher profile towards the front. Does the thinner tip part get a bit more done than the thicker part?

Is this a slow cook type roast or is it similar to roasting an eye of round type roast?

I'm on the lookout at my 3 major chain stores for a tri-tip roast that is thicker at the front like the one Cheryl posted a pic of a few nights ago. I'd like her and others to reply how they prepare and roast their Tri-Tip Roast if you would be so kind to. Thanks!

I grill mine like grilling a big, fat steak, but turning frequently. Takes about half hour on average to grill an average sized tri tip.
They're traditionally done that way but many people roast or smoke them, then do a quick sear at the end.

Last edited:
I've never done it in an oven. I think it's one of those cuts that just tastes better when cooked on the grill.

I also cook it like a big fat steak. If possible, I prefer a wood fire. Tri-tip isn't a super flavorful cut, so that smokiness really adds a lot to the flavor.

img_1442012_0_ff71626494dffa9f01f68f4222de9690.jpg

img_1442012_1_a45cf9f198adebd7d17d2b4c050947f1.jpg

I grill mine like grilling a big, fat steak, but turning frequently. They're traditionally done that way but many people roast or smoke them, then do a quick sear at the end.

Yes, the tri-tips I've seen are rather flat. Cheryl posted a pic and hers was nice and fat at the front. I'm still looking for one like that. No luck so far.

I like to cut some of the fat cap off.Not all of it.

Season it well.Smoke it for a while.Then either bring it in and put it on a rotisserie or grill it.

If you can find a butcher shop ask them for one that's been aged.
Costco has them to.I buy the big bags and do them all at once.
Flavor seal them for later.

They make the best sammiches.:cool:

...Costco has them to....

Sadly, not all Costcos. Tri-tip is really a west coast cut of meat. The only place I've ever seen it in MA is at TJs for big bucks.

It may be available in other parts of the country. The meat guy where I shop said he never sees them.

No tri-tip at our nearest Costco either. Have never seen it around these here parts. Seeing as how Steve can find it up nort, it's apparently available somewhere here in the midwest.

Last edited:
No tri-tip at our nearest Costco either. Have never seen it around these here parts. Seeing as how Steve can find it up nort, it's apparently available somewhere here in the midwest.

They often have them at our local Cub Foods, albeit in limited quantities. This past summer I would buy them up as soon as they hit the shelves and freeze them. I think I had about 8 in the freezer at one point. Maybe that's why you haven't been able to find any. :LOL:

Last edited:
They often have them at our local Cub Foods, albeit in limited quantities. This past summer I would buy them up as soon as they hit the shelves and freeze them. I think I had about 8 in the freezer at one point. Maybe that's why you haven't been able to find any. :LOL:

Aha! You did it, Steve! :LOL:

I'll have to ask Baby Bro to scope some out and snatch some up before Steve gets them all.

Last edited:
A number of years ago, McKinnon's Meat Market in Everett had them on sale for the weekend. The public here didn't know what they were or how to cook them. So they sat there all day Friday and Saturday. On Sunday the price went way down. I knew what they were since I had live out west so I snatched up about three of them for the freezer. I did a low and slow roast in the oven to medium rare. Tossed in some 'taters, carrots and onions and we had a delicious Sunday dinner. The roast and veggies gave off enough of their juices and liquid for a fantastic gravy made right in the roasting pan, while the roast rested. I didn't have a BBQ at the time available to me. Except for the third one. I brought that one to my daughter's the weekend she opened her pool. I had received an income tax refund check and bought a small Weber BBQ and the charcoal. It was my present to start the summer off. Anything else, my SIL had to use his gas grill to make the extras on. He was given strict instruction to stick with what he knows. A gas grill. I was in charge of the Weber.

In the oven or on the grill, it can be a lovely cut of meat if done right. :angel:

Last edited:
Sounds like it can be roasted like an eye of round roast, not needing a long cook time. No wonder with the price for tri-tips.

Cheryl posted her tri-tip roast pic a few days on the "Whats for Dinner" thread and wow, where did she get that plump tri-tip? I even pm'd her to see if it was at any chain store near me. It doesn't matter. I'm gonna buy the next fattest tri-tip I see, then get back here for advice.

Lol at "they plump when you cook them"...hehe

It's not a tall thick beef to begin with, I guess.

Last edited:
Calson, they actually do "plump when you cook them".

I prefer to grill them, however I've done many in the oven a couple of ways.

The first way is to roast them heavily seasoned in a hot 425 degree oven to get a nice crust on it. Depending on the weight, it can take as little as 30 minutes to get it to get it to med. rare. Use your instant read thermometer, remove at 125 degrees and let it rest under foil before you cut it.

The most recent way I've experimented with is to fold it over and tie it into a ball. Actually, I used silicone bands to hold it together. The idea is to keep the small end from getting over done. I roasted it with the "no peeky roast beefy" method.

Both methods work well.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Sounds like it can be roasted like an eye of round roast, not needing a long cook time. No wonder with the price for tri-tips.

Cheryl posted her tri-tip roast pic a few days on the "Whats for Dinner" thread and wow, where did she get that plump tri-tip? I even pm'd her to see if it was at any chain store near me. It doesn't matter. I'm gonna buy the next fattest tri-tip I see, then get back here for advice.

Lol at "they plump when you cook them"...hehe

It's not a tall thick beef to begin with, I guess.

My apologies for not getting back with you right away, Caslon. I got your PM. I spent the evening with my little grandson at his baseball game and with family afterwards. Looking forward to talking about tri tip tomorrow! :yum:

Last edited:
Sadly, not all Costcos. Tri-tip is really a west coast cut of meat. The only place I've ever seen it in MA is at TJs for big bucks.

It may be available in other parts of the country. The meat guy where I shop said he never sees them.

I've never seen one either. Must be regional or special request.

I've never seen one either. Must be regional or special request.

Its weird that we have them in our Spartanburg SC Costco, and not available to you guys up in the NE! :ohmy:

Caslon, what Kay said. :) Roast it in a hot oven, and no more than med rare - they tend to get tough if cooked any more than that. I feel like crying when my daughter and SIL roast tri tip well done. :( They don't like the slightest bit of pink in their meats.

Lots of folks like them marinated, Ross posted some beautiful pics in the grilling thread. I like mine just salted and a heavy amount of cracked black pepper.

To answer your PM question, you should be able to get them in all those supermarkets you mentioned. Albertson's has them on sale right now for $3.88/lb untrimmed, and $5.88/lb trimmed. That's a good deal.

It's just crazy that they are so hard to come by in many states - I'll never understand that. :huh:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom