"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #41
Executive Chef

4 lobed peppers balance better when you cut them in half lengthwise or horizonally. A 3 lobed pepper will be more difficult to balance when you cut them.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

I like my peppers to be quite soft before the filling is over cooked. That's another reason I like to char and remove the skin before stuffing. It seems to pre cook them just the right amount without any loss of flavor. I also stuff the half peppers on the side, and I prefer red to green.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:04 AM   #43
Master Chef

I use a rack to keep my ABTs vertical in the smoker. I prefer the japs whole with just the seeds and veins removed. For stuffed bell peppers, I remove the skin by torching it and bagging it. The skin comes off easily and the pepper still keeps its shape. Fill them with jambalaya or dirty rice and use Creole tomato sauce in the pan. You could also go SW, Tex-Mex or Mexican, varying the stuffing and sauce accordingly. You can skip the pepper and stuff mirlitons instead.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

I do not use green bell peppers anymore. I find them just too bitter. When allowed to ripen properly, the red, yellow, orange ones are so much sweeter.

Unfortunately those are usually more expensive. But for me, worth the cost. When they are on sale, I will stock up and freeze them. But I make absolutely sure that all the veins are totally removed. The veins themselves hold a lot of bitterness.

Great addition to have on hand for hash, breakfast fried potatoes, meatloaf, etc.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The four footed peppers only make a difference if you stuff them standing up. Since go cut them in half vertically, the number of 'feet' becomes irrelevant.
If you want your peppers to stand up while they are baking, use your Bunt pan. It works perfect.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Boy and girl peppers. And I can never remember which is which.

4 is female 3 is male
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:56 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
4 is female 3 is male
Peppers have no gender.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:55 AM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Peppers have no gender.
They do if we want them to!
Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
They do if we want them to!
Good one Craig.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:13 AM   #50
Senior Cook

I use red bells and do not par boil.

I stuff the bells with my meatloaf or meatballs mix.

I never use wáter; I use Evoo and a Home made Bolognese ..

I combine beef ground and porc ground, salt, black pep freshly ground, leeks, shallots, garlic - all minced finely, egg, a pinch or 2 of thyme, basil, oregano, rosemary, savoury, in other words what we call Herbès Marquis ..

I prepare a small amount of Arborio short grain Italian rice and combine with the meat.

I grate a little Pecorino in the mixture and place the peppers in an oven casserole of glass and drizzle some home made tomato Bolognese ...
Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought a bag of yellow, red and orange baby bell peppers yesterday. Some are going to be diced for the freezer and two of them are going to be stuffed. Believe me, the way we have been eating lately, one each served with seasoned white rice on the side, will be more than a meal for the both of us.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #52
Assistant Cook

I've found that making stuffed peppers more or less comes down to the seasoning and maybe boiling them doesn't actually help what I have found is that adding a little oil salt and pepper on the peppers and then roasting them makes for the best setup also Cheese makes the world go round

https://www.youtube.com/eatffortlesscooking
EATffortlessCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #53
Head Chef

I posted this in another post, thought you might like it. Its a change from the rice mixtures:
Orzo Stuffed Peppers
1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes ( also good with Italian seasoned tomatoes)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese Fresh parmesan is best
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth )
1 cup orzo Pasta
6 bell peppers (red or yellow or green or a mixture)
2 cups choped fresh spinach
NOTE: I also do these with meat, Ground beef, Italian Sauage, ground turkey, About 1 to 1 1/2 lb. ground meat.
If adding meat cook the meat first.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Pour the tomatoes and their juices into a large bowl and break them into pieces using kitchen shears or your fingers.
Add the oregano, cheese, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
Meanwhile, bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
Add the orzo and cook for 3 minutes only. The orzo will be only partially cooked.
Drain the orzo through a strainer,saving the chicken broth.
Add the orzo to the tomato mixture and stir to combine. Transfer the warm broth to a 3-quart baking dish.
Slice the tops off the peppers and remove all the inner ribs and seeds.
If peppers won't stand on their own, Cut a very thin slice from the base to help the peppers stand up.
Spoon the orzo mixture into the peppers.
Place the peppers in the baking dish with the warm chicken broth.
Cover the dish with lid or foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Remove the foil or lid , sprinkle each pepper with more cheese, and continue baking until the cheese is golden, about 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and carefully transfer the stuffed peppers to serving plates. Garnish with fresh chopped basil, if desired.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #54
Executive Chef

I know this thread is as old as Moses. But, I did not want to start a new thread since the subject is the same.

My garden produced some very beautiful bell peppers this year.
Today, since I have the house all to myself, I plan to make stuffed peppers, drink beer and watch football.

Okay on to the peppers.
1) I was going to blacken them and remove the skin. Does this warrant the extra work?

2) I have always used raw meat. I have ground beef and Italian sausage. Does cooking/browning/frying the meat and the other veggie ingredients make a difference?

3) I usually skip the rice. How important is rice to you guys when making stuffed peppers? I will use some bread crumbs in my meat mixture.

4) I have had the tube of anchovy paste since this thread was started long ago. Never opened it and its been in the fridge the whole time. Think its still safe to use and how should I use it in this dish?

I'm just trying to make the best possible stuffed peppers I can make. This is the reason I resurrected this old thread.
Thanks in Advance......John
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Okay on to the peppers.
1) I was going to blacken them and remove the skin. Does this warrant the extra work?
I don't think so. I've never peeled them first. It would also make them less stable by softening them before filling.

Quote:
2) I have always used raw meat. I have ground beef and Italian sausage. Does cooking/browning/frying the meat and the other veggie ingredients make a difference?
Browning always adds flavor.

Quote:
3) I usually skip the rice. How important is rice to you guys when making stuffed peppers? I will use some bread crumbs in my meat mixture.
It's personal preference. You don't need it.

Quote:
4) I have had the tube of anchovy paste since this thread was started long ago. Never opened it and its been in the fridge the whole time. Think its still safe to use and how should I use it in this dish?
Is there an expiration date on it?

You can squirt a little bit into your meat mixture.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
I don't think so. I've never peeled them first. It would also make them less stable by softening them before filling.

Blackening them with a hand held torch doesn't effect the structure of the pepper at all! I use this method quite often.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Blackening them with a hand held torch doesn't effect the structure of the pepper at all! I use this method quite often.
I have a half bucket of peppers to can today. I was going to blacken them in the oven, but that softens them. I've used the torch before, I'll go that way and then dice and can, pressure can them. Thanks for the reminder.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yes, I remember you saying that before.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:

Thank you GG. I can always count on you when I need help. Since I had to get them done, I started right after I posted.
Get this. I did what you advised, other than frying the mixture first and did not use any anchovy. But I did make a very flavorful stuffing.
I also used a new product from Costco I found last time I was there. Fire roasted whole tomatoes. San Marzano. Put some in the meat mixture and made a little quick tomato sauce for topping.
Thanks a bunch.

Quote:
Craig that is on my gift list. Holidays are approaching fast. I am not sure if I will want the kitchen type or just get a propane torch at Lowes or Home Depot that lights when you push the button. Should be much cheaper and provide plenty heat and the small tank will hold more fuel. Size could be an issue should I go this way.
Thanks Buddy!
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thank you GG. I can always count on you when I need help. Since I had to get them done, I started right after I posted.
Get this. I did what you advised, other than frying the mixture first and did not use any anchovy. But I did make a very flavorful stuffing.
I also used a new product from Costco I found last time I was there. Fire roasted whole tomatoes. San Marzano. Put some in the meat mixture and made a little quick tomato sauce for topping.
Thanks a bunch.
You're welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Roasted tomatoes are a great addition.

Tags
pepper