Making beef sausage with synthetic casing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I am strictly kosher therefore natural and collogen casings are out for me. I ordered some plastic casings. I would like to make some breakfast links. Any suggestions on how to use these inedible casings to set the sausage into links. My understanding is that you need to cook them in hot but not boiling water to set them. Is that how it works? Any good methods or recipes?

Sounds like you have it right ... you first poach the sausages in simmering water until done, remove them from the water and peel off their casings, then brown them in a skillet with some butter or oil if you want.

Michael and suggestions on what temprature or for how long to poach them for? any good beef sausage recipes?

I always put them in the pot when the water is cold then bring to a simmer. It pretty much assures me that they are done.

Are you looking for ingredients to make the sausage or recipes to put the finished sausage in?

I always put them in the pot when the water is cold then bring to a simmer. It pretty much assures me that they are done.

Are you looking for ingredients to make the sausage or recipes to put the finished sausage in?
The former

What do you have in mind to begin with? Depending if you are planing to smoke it or fry it you may or may not have to boil it before cooking. I've made sausage (no recipe, whatever was in the fridge) and I simply removed the casing when I was ready to eat.

Not much of a recipe Dan ... put the sausages in a skillet with a tight fitting lid, add 1-2 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce temp to low, put lid on pot - simmer about 10-15 minutes turning once ... then remove, skin, then fry up.

RE CASINGS: You can get natural casings that are kosher (sheep and cow). There are several sources for sheep and cow casings but I don't know if they are kosher certified. Check with a kosher butcher or meat market if you want the kosher certified casings. They can order them for you if they don't carry them.

Last edited:
FOR WHATEVER REASON, IT IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND KOSHER (oops) real casing. The only time I was able get some when I went to kosher plant and was able to take some directly from line.

OK look like I am going with a lamb sausage. I got my hands on some lamb breast which is pretty cheap and has plenty of fat. I spoke to the butcher and he said I should be good to just trim out some of the fat and grind it. I am probably going to wait till sunday so the lamb goes in the freezer tonight. I think it is time to kill this thread and start a new one in the lamb secotion, or a Mod can move it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom