Mammoth Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
No good deed ever goes unpunished. Sometimes I wonder why I do them.
Glutton for punishment comes to mind.

The thing is, I was given this huge beef brisket. Fat cap has been left on. It's been well aged, all natural.

I've been challenged to a beef jerky showdown. My oldest and his buddy. They think they're all that and a jerky strip to. I don't think so! :LOL:

Not wanting to use the whole thing up to make jerky or knowing it's weight. Can it be cut down into smaller portions?

The loser has to make the winner a steak dinner. It won't be me. I hope they can afford it. Lol!

Any help, recipes would be appreciated.

Munky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew! For just a second, I thought you had run across some meat from a frozen woolly mammoth. I was reading about science tinkering with bringing back extinct species. :LOL:

You can certainly portion the brisket. I am fond of jerky but I do not add much to the meat beyond slicing it as thin as possible and smoking it over a slow smoky fire. I reckon I am too much a traditionalist to use all the seasonings and salt found in most recipes, many of which can be found on the 'Net.

LOL Hoot!

Funny you should mention science bring back the extinct. That was my first thought when I saw it. This brisket is huge!

Like you I'm a traditionalist. I do have a smoker. It's not big and fancy as some people have, it does do it's job.

I'm not about to loose this bet. Actually I don't think I could afford to loose. Those guys are shameless when it come to a good steak dinner.

Will cutting it into 1/3's be acceptable?
I'll worry about what to do with the rest of the Mammoth later.:ROFLMAO:

Thank you,

Munky.

A whole brisket is made up of two major sections, the flat and the point. These points are normally cut and sold separately, as corned beef for example. The flat cut is much less fatty and probably a better candidate for jerky. You don't want much fat in the jerky.

You can cut off as much of the brisket as you want for the jerky.

Save the brisket for BBQ! Get a top or bottom round for jerky. Just my thoughts. I saw Alton Brown do jerky with a brisket before, but other than that never heard of it before. The fattier brisket to me would become rancid after a while in my opinion. I could be totally wrong, but round cuts work best for me.

Save the brisket for BBQ! Get a top or bottom round for jerky. Just my thoughts. I saw Alton Brown do jerky with a brisket before, but other than that never heard of it before. The fattier brisket to me would become rancid after a while in my opinion. I could be totally wrong, but round cuts work best for me.

I have to agree with Larry here, brisket is too fatty. Unless your going to eat it up right away. But even then too much fat for jerkry.

Back
Top Bottom