Meat loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooker

Assistant Cook
why do some reciepes call for milk. what does that do? it just sound odd , milk and beef.javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
javascript:emoticon(':shock:')

Milk just adds another layer of moisture. I have an old Italian recipe for meatballs, which calls for the bread used to be soaked in milk first.

And in the classic reicpe for 'Bolognese Sauce', there's a little heavy cream added; this recipe is to swoon for; it's almost all meat and seasoning, very little tomato.

My secret to tender moist meatloaf is to mix in mashed tofu.

Take two or three pounds of beef, mix in a pound of pork sausage, a block of mashed tofu, salt, pepper, choice of herbs. Gently mix together and place in baking dishes. Cover with ketchup or bbq sauce. Bake until done. I cook until it reaches 160. Pour off fat as soon as you remove it from the oven.

This recipe is very tolerant to over cooking and even works in the microwave oven. It's almost impossible to make a dry meatloaf using this basic recipe.

I promise you that you will not taste the tofu. If you mash it enough, you won't even notice it.

I soak my bread in milk also.

I can't eat tofu. It does bad things to my stomach, but that's probably a good idea.. Bacon chopped very fine is also a nice addition to meat loaf.

I'm with GaArt - soak the bread in milk - like marmalady said, it just adds some moisture.

Tofu in my meatloaf? I would quit eating meatloaf first!!!

To those of you who don't like to mix milk with meat, to 2lbs meat (veal and beef, no pork) add 1 cup olive oil, 1 1/2 cups water, 2 cups crumbled ITALIAN bread (day old). Aside from the addition of the onions, garlic, you can get pretty fluffy meatballs from that recipe. If you add pork, use only 1/2 cup olive oil.

Psiguyy said:
My secret to tender moist meatloaf is to mix in mashed tofu.

Take two or three pounds of beef, mix in a pound of pork sausage, a block of mashed tofu, salt, pepper, choice of herbs. Gently mix together and place in baking dishes. Cover with ketchup or bbq sauce. Bake until done. I cook until it reaches 160. Pour off fat as soon as you remove it from the oven.

This recipe is very tolerant to over cooking and even works in the microwave oven. It's almost impossible to make a dry meatloaf using this basic recipe.

I promise you that you will not taste the tofu. If you mash it enough, you won't even notice it.

hey, that sounds good psiguyy, i'll try it the next time i make meatloaf. i like to add some grated horseradish (hmmm, maybe i'll try wasabi next time) to the meatloaf. but the tofu idea is a good one...

I have a meatball recipe that calls for milk - milk also has acids in it that help tenderize the meat - I can tell a huge difference when I make a meatball recipe that does NOT use milk.

Psiguy - I took this kind of beating over the peanutbutter and mayo sandwiches too - :oops: ;)

A friend of mine makes this walnut, blue cheese, tofu pasta dish - it's great!!!!

kitchenelf said:
Psiguy - I took this kind of beating over the peanutbutter and mayo sandwiches too - :oops: ;)

A friend of mine makes this walnut, blue cheese, tofu pasta dish - it's great!!!!

Yep. Not my fault when people don't want to try something new even if they might actually like it.

Here’s my recipe for a rather grand Meat Loaf:

1½ oz. butter
½ lb. large fresh mushrooms, stems minced & caps reserved
1 large onion, finely chopped
½ med. green bell pepper
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Tbsp each minced fresh thyme & rosemary
1 lb. ground beef round
1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. ground veal
½ lb. bulk pork sausage
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
½ cup organic ketchup
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
½ tsp. Tabasco
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup breadcrumbs soaked in ½ cup heavy cream
3 rashers bacon
1 oz. butter

Heat 1½ oz. butter in skillet; add mushroom stems and sauté over med. heat, stirring, about 5 min., or until most of their liquid has evaporated. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, herbs; reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 15 min., till vegetables are soft and liquid has evaporated.

Heat oven to 350°. Place the meats in large mixing bowl; add sautéed vegetables and mix lightly. Add mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire, Tabasco, salt & pepper to taste, eggs and breadcrumbs; mix with hands till blended thoroughly. Shape mixture into a frim,thick oval loaf; place it in a shallow baking or gratin dish; drape bacon over top; bake 1 hour. Remove bacon strips and continue baking 20-30 minutes longer, depending on how thick the loaf is and how crusty you want the exterior to become.

Shortly before the meat loaf is removed from the oven, heat ½ oz. butter in small skillet, add reserved mushroom caps; sauté, stirring, 2 min., or till nicely glazed. Transfer meat loaf to a large serving platter, arrange garnish of your choice over the top, and place mushroom caps around the edges.

Hey I only said that tofu gives me a belly ache.. big time..

I think if you can "stomach" it... then by all means. use it.

I put my Mexican Volcano Meatloaf recipe on another post many weeks ago. IF anyone wants it, I'll be happy to repost it. It adds a decidedly Mexican flair, and a bit of showmanship to the meal.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
I put my Mexican Volcano Meatloaf recipe on another post many weeks ago. IF anyone wants it, I'll be happy to repost it. It adds a decidedly Mexican flair, and a bit of showmanship to the meal.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

either that or add the link to the thread where you posted it.

This recipe is from my self-published (On CD-ROM) Cookbook, "You Can Be a Great Cook With Beef". So, the ingredient list can be shared, but not the text. It's copyright protected. But I like ginving this recipe to folks because it is so different. And I'm all about technique and trying different things. I also tend to get playful with food. Enjoy. :D

Mexican Volcano
You'll wow the crowds, and give yourself some idea your own
artistic ability. The flavor is South of the Border. The theme
is fun. Award winning Balderson Aged Cheddar adds flavor to
the dish while Mozzarella creates visual effect.
Your family and friends will be amazed by your creativity, and the quality of the meat-loaf. In this recipe, we use bread crumbs to increase the volume while maintaining flavor and texture. Thus, you save money without sacrificing quality.
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. bulk Chorizo (or Italian sausage)
1 tbs. chili powder
1/2 tbs. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh Jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup enchilada sauce, or salsa
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Balderson 2 year old Medium Cheddar Cheese
1 large egg
Preheat the oven to 375'- F. Remove the Chorizo from its
casing. Mix together the ground beef, Chorizo, chili powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeno peppers, egg, Balderson Cheddar, and bread crumbs. Knead together until well mixed. Lightly grease a 12" square casserole dish and place the meat mixture into it.
Shape the mixture into a volcanic mountain with valleys and
cliffs. Show off your hidden artistic talents. Create a crater in the top suitable for about a 1/4 cup of sauce. Place the “volcano” into the oven, with a meat thermometer inserted to the center.
Cook for 45 minutes. Check the thermometer. When the
internal temperature reaches 175'- F., remove from the oven.
Pour the sauce into the crater, making sure that rivulets of
sauce run down the mountain sides. Place strands of Mozzarella
cheese shreds onto the rivulets and in the crater to mimic the
glowing hot lava. Place in the oven until the cheese melts
slightly. Remove from the oven and place onto a serving
platter. Slice into eight equal wedges and serve with little
men made from toothpicks and Vienna sausage and toothpicks
(half covered by lava). Make trees with Broccoli to finish the
hapless village. Your kids will love it, and your guests will
gasp with delight. (Omit the little men if you want. That
might be a bit much).

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North