Meat pies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
How do you make your meat pies?
Mine is a double crust pie wherr appropriate bulion is added to the water and salt is omited
The filling is fine dic potatoes, lightly browned, dicrd carrot, diced onion, black pepper, brownrd ground meat of choive, and minced garlic
Sometimes, I'll make pan gravy from thepan fond of the pan the meat was browmed in, but that,s rare. This id true comfort food that is great with ketchup put on top after a slice is plated. You can chane the flavors by changing the herbx and spices used to season the filling.

Seeeeya: Chief Longwind of the Nortb

When I think of "meat pies", I'm thinking hand pies. Empanadas are a favorite from any Latin culture. Love Jamaican patties. I consider tamales as a meat pie when meat is part of the filling.

How do you make your meat pies?
Mine is a double crust pie wherr appropriate bulion is added to the water and salt is omited

Seeeeya: Chief Longwind of the Nortb

Hey Chief! I'm just surprised that your favorite meat pie isn't a pasty! I haven't had one in 30 years - do you have a good recipe?

Pastie recipe

Pastie crust
2 cups A.P. Flour
1 and 1/2 tsp. Salt
6 tbs lard
6 tbs. water

Pastie Filling
2 russet potatoes, peeled and fine dice

1 cup rutabagga peeled and diced

1 mrdium size yellow onion, peeled and diced

3 cloves fresh Garlic, minced

1 lb. Diced Beef, or coarse-ground beef

1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper

2 tbs pork fat/grease

Place diced potatoes in a bowl of cod water to remobe some of the starch.

Melt the pork fat in a large, heavy skilit. Add the onions and garlic.
Stir over medium hest until the onions become translucent. Add meat and season with salt and pepper. Brown. Transfer the meat to a large bow and set aside. Drain, and rince the potatoes.
Place the pan back onto the stove and add rutabagga and potatoes. Add 1/4 cup water to the pan and cover. Cook for ten minutes, stirring frequently. Remove cover and lightly brown the potato/rutabagga mixture. Remove to the same bowl as the meat.

Combine the lard , salt and flour for the dough. Cut the fat into the flour Add more fat and continue cutting it in until it all looks like pea-gravel. Add water and knead lightly until the dough is formed.

Pastie crist is not supposed to be as flaky and tender as pie crust, so knred it just a little. Divide the dough into four equal portons and shape them into balls. Flatten with hands to form a round disk. Place the douh onto a floured surface and roll into 9 inch circle. In a seperate bowl, combide 1 large egg with 3 tbs water to make an egg-wash. Spoon filling onto 1/2 of the douh, leaving a 2 inch rim uncovered. Brush the uncovered rim with egg-wash. Fold the top half of the dough over the filling so that the circle edges meet. Lightly press edges together. Roll the circle edgs back to form a dough handle. Place onto parchment paprt lined bakin pan. Repeat with the other douh portions. Brush all pasties with egg wash.

Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 minutes. Remove and serve hot with ketchup, and, or beef gravy.

Pasties were made in England by wives of miners. The douh handles gave the miners spmething they could hang onto, and discard, as they generally didn't have a way of washing their hands in the mines. The crust had to be tough enogh so that tle pastie held together while it was eaten. Enterprising wives would make a dough snake to divide the pstie inside, witjh 2/3ds filled with the meat and veggie mixtue, and the other side filled with a fruit filling to make a desert. I do this with my pasties as well. I also make a tender, flaky crust as I wiil be eating mine from a plate, handle and all.

Pasties are a Yooper specialty, but are enjoed in many other places as well. Enjoy. These things are truly heaven on a plate.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Pastie crust
2 cups A.P. Flour
1 and 1/2 tsp. Salt
6 tbs lard
6 tbs. water

Pastie Filling
2 russet potatoes, peeled and fine dice

1 cup rutabagga peeled and diced

1 mrdium size yellow onion, peeled and diced

3 cloves fresh Garlic, minced

1 lb. Diced Beef, or coarse-ground beef

1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper

2 tbs pork fat/grease

Place diced potatoes in a bowl of cod water to remobe some of the starch.

Melt the pork fat in a large, heavy skilit. Add the onions and garlic.
Stir over medium hest until the onions become translucent. Add meat and season with salt and pepper. Brown. Transfer the meat to a large bow and set aside. Drain, and rince the potatoes.
Place the pan back onto the stove and add rutabagga and potatoes. Add 1/4 cup water to the pan and cover. Cook for ten minutes, stirring frequently. Remove cover and lightly brown the potato/rutabagga mixture. Remove to the same bowl as the meat.

Combine the lard , salt and flour for the dough. Cut the fat into the flour Add more fat and continue cutting it in until it all looks like pea-gravel. Add water and knead lightly until the dough is formed.

Pastie crist is not supposed to be as flaky and tender as pie crust, so knred it just a little. Divide the dough into four equal portons and shape them into balls. Flatten with hands to form a round disk. Place the douh onto a floured surface and roll into 9 inch circle. In a seperate bowl, combide 1 large egg with 3 tbs water to make an egg-wash. Spoon filling onto 1/2 of the douh, leaving a 2 inch rim uncovered. Brush the uncovered rim with egg-wash. Fold the top half of the dough over the filling so that the circle edges meet. Lightly press edges together. Roll the circle edgs back to form a dough handle. Place onto parchment paprt lined bakin pan. Repeat with the other douh portions. Brush all pasties with egg wash.

Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 minutes. Remove and serve hot with ketchup, and, or beef gravy.

Pasties were made in England by wives of miners. The douh handles gave the miners spmething they could hang onto, and discard, as they generally didn't have a way of washing their hands in the mines. The crust had to be tough enogh so that tle pastie held together while it was eaten. Enterprising wives would make a dough snake to divide the pstie inside, witjh 2/3ds filled with the meat and veggie mixtue, and the other side filled with a fruit filling to make a desert. I do this with my pasties as well. I also make a tender, flaky crust as I wiil be eating mine from a plate, handle and all.

Pasties are a Yooper specialty, but are enjoed in many other places as well. Enjoy. These things are truly heaven on a plate.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Is this different than lard?

I don't understand. Is what different than lard? I listed lard as the fat to use in the crust. Also add just enough water to bring the dough together.

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't understand. Is what different than lard? I listed lard as the fat to use in the crust. Also add just enough water to bring the dough together.

Yeah, I was wondering too. But, then I noticed your first sentence in the second paragraph, "Melt the pork fat in a large, heavy skilit." When I think about melting pork fat, I think of a chunk of pork fat, not lard. Of course lard is pork fat.

I was asking if the pork fat you used was a different fat than the lard you used for the crust? The part in bold. If you used bacon grease or rendered pork fat or lard.

Lard is rendered pork fat. That being said, to add an additional layer of flavor to the pie fillong, you could use bacon or sidr pork fat, and the fond from the pan it was vookrd in. If cooking bacon, or side pork for yhe fat, crumble it anf add it to the filling. I had not thought of that befote and was simply calling lard, pork fat. Thanks for the inspiration.

Seeeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom