Meatball Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolishedTopaz

Sous Chef
I got lots n lots of balls of MEAT! :I went off into a foray again [like compound butters] any ideas??? There are several, any recipes are welcome. All are frozen and raw.

Chicken and sage
Chicken and tarragon
*Prime rib [my blend....garlic, onion, rosemary]
Pork and shrimp oriental [think potstickers]
Pork teriyaki
Pork greek [garlic, lemon and oregano]

Last edited by a moderator:
One I did recently that I enjoyed was ground turkey, a touch of cinamon, a little bit of salt and pepper, butter, crumbs and... something. Woke up from a nap so Im not feeling all that sharp but any way's they where slightly spicy and very good with pasta. One last thing, instead of meatballs I did 'em as little tiny sausages (basically slightly rolled meatballs) about the size of a viena sausage, it gave them a nice presentation.

Hmmm...

Chicken or prime rib: Chipotle meatballs with a couple of quartered hard boiled eggs.

For the oriental: iron man noodles, 1 spoon black bean paste, oyster suace, fresh serrano peppers and big chunks of onion, broccoli and other fresh vegetables.

Pork Teriyaki: a dense sauce consisting of mirin, dark mushroom soysauce, about half a kirin and whatever fresh veggies I have on hand besides shitakes. This would thicken into a nasty black glaze that the meatballs would be tossed in and then served atop soba noodles with a sprinkle of garlic/pepper oil.

Pork greek: served hot on top of shredded lettuce, cucombers, carrots and red onion with some diced cheese, oil and red wine vinagre with some pitas on the side.

Well, I'd take the Greek pork balls and
subsitute ground lamb add bread crumbs (garlic flavored)
an egg, some minced (very finely) onion, some salt, pepper,
Greek Oregano ( grown on a mt. top in Greece by a very old Greek Grandma) and some parsley, Then fry them up in EVOO.
I'd serve them with freshly steamed spinach and and Greek potatoes. Ok, I'm hungry!! :chef:

pdswife1 said:
Well, I'd take the Greek pork balls and
subsitute ground lamb add bread crumbs (garlic flavored)
an egg, some minced (very finely) onion, some salt, pepper,
Greek Oregano ( grown on a mt. top in Greece by a very old Greek Grandma) and some parsley, Then fry them up in EVOO.
I'd serve them with freshly steamed spinach and and Greek potatoes. Ok, I'm hungry!! :chef:

PDS what are Greek potatoes.??

My family loves chicken meatballs served with oriental veggies and fried rice. A basic sweet & sour sauce goes great with this. Here's the general idea, but not the exact amounts fo anything as I'm working strictly from memory here.

Chicken Meatballs
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground chicken
3 tbs. finely chopped celery
3 tbs. finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
Small pinch Chinese 5-Spice powder
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large egg
1 tsp. Toasted Sesame Oil (flavors the meat)
1/2 cup water
Sunflower or Peanut Oil (cooking oil)

Fill a deep frying pan with enough cooking oil to cover the bottom. Combine the remaining ingredients into a bowl. Shape into 1/2 inch meatballs and place into the hot pan. Cover and let simmer until cooked through (about ten minutes). Remove the pan lid and turn the meatballs, letting the water evaporate. continue turning until lightly browned on all sides.

Sweet & Sour Sauce:
1/2 cup White Vinegar
Sugar
Red Food Dye
Cornstarch

Pour the vinegar into a small sauce-pan and heat. When it is steaming, add a quarter cup sugar or Splenda and stir. Taste it. Adjust the vinegar/sweetener ratio until you like it. Add just enough food dye to make it red. Thicken with corn-starch Slurry.

Chinese Veggies:

1/2 cup Snow Peas
1/8 cup bias-sliced Carrots
1 small can Water Chestnuts
1 small can Bamboo Shoots
1/2 cup Bok Choy
1 medium onion sliced into leaves
1 cup freshly sliced straw or oyster mushrooms (or whatever kind of 'shroom you like)
1 tbs. lite Soy Sauce
2 tbs. cooking oil

Heat oil in heavy pan, add onion, bok choy, and carrots. Cook over high heat for about 5 minutes, stiring frequently. Add remaining ingredients and cook another 5 minutes.

Serve all of the above with steamed or fried rice.

Hope this is the kind of thing you're looking for.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Off the top of my head:

put em on skewers w onions, peppers, pineapple & make a dipping sauce (honey/dijon/teriaki?) & serve w rice
put em on a pizza
put em in a calzone w ricotta & marinara sauce
wrap in won ton wrappers
place an olive inside - as an appetizer
put em in a lasagna
put em in a gyro or pita w yogurt & tomatoes- greek-style
put em in a pita w mozzarella & tomato sauce
put em in a meatball stew/soup
Hmm, did I dream it, or did I see something on Food TV? - meatball wrapped in rice & deep fried?

Still thinking.

One of my fav comfort foods...meatball subs - meatballs on crusty Italian bread with homemade marinara sauce & oozing Provolone. YUM:excl: :excl: :excl:

3/4 lb. lean hamburg
1/4 lb. ground pork
1/4 lb. ground veal
1/4 lb. ground sweet sausage
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
2 or three dashes Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup diced white onion
1 egg
3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 Tbls. dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1 Tbls. olive oil
Pinch crush red pepper
one tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper

In a large mixing bowl beat egg then place all ingredients in bowl. Using hands, mix ingredients together. Form balls somewhat larger than a golfball size.

In a large skillet heat two tablespoons olive oil. Brown four balls at a time turning constantly.

Clean skillet if needed through the browning process and start again with clean olive oil.

Place meatballs in sauce and simmer for two hours or until cooked through.

Trick: Before making the balls, take a small sample of the meat and fry it until done. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a recipe im going to make, i think its time for me to try out some spaghetti and meatballs.

I was going to make my own thread for this, but decided to just add to this one. I have a couple of simple questions.

1. I'd like to eliminate the veal because i refuse to eat veal, so i will just replace that with ground beef. Is this okay?

2. I'd like to make a bunch of these things at a time, and freeze some of them. If i seal them up in a really tight bag, will freezing make them not taste so good? Since i started cooking real food, I haven't really frozen anything. Please give me your thoughts on freezing food

3. It says simmer in my pasta sauce for 2 hours. This is how long i simmer my gravy. Do they have to be completely submerged at all time? Any tips for cooking spaghetti sauce with meatballs?

Back
Top Bottom