Meatballs With A Twist!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cerise

Washing Up
Meatballs With A Twist

1 1/2 pounds ground veal -- or beef, or a mixture of both
1 potato -- cooked, peeled and mashed
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley -- chopped
1 clove garlic -- finely chopped
1 egg -- beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Salt and pepper
Flour
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

In a large bowl, combine ground meat with potato, parsley, garlic, egg, cheese, & salt and pepper.

Roll mixture into a log. Break off small pieces & form the meat into balls of even size. Roll the balls in flour & fry them in hot olive oil until cooked through.

Drain the balls on paper towels. Serve alone, with your favorite tomato sauce, or in a hoagie.

Interesting addition with the mashed potatoes.
Do you notice any difference in texture or anything?

Interesting addition with the mashed potatoes.
Do you notice any difference in texture or anything?

Yes. IMO, they are lighter a little fluffier (crispy on the outside & softer on the inside). Nice change from the meat-laden breadcrumb ball. Hope you give it a try.

Another variation I like, is using ground veal, & adding ricotta to the mix, or putting ricotta over the top.

Last edited:
I just might. Thanks for the recipe.

So seeing as how there is such a wide size of spuds, would you say normal baked potato size, or the smaller sized potatoes similar to the redskins?

I just might. Thanks for the recipe.

So seeing as how there is such a wide size of spuds, would you say normal baked potato size, or the smaller sized potatoes similar to the redskins?

A small to medium russet is good. You can easily double the recipe.

I like adding chopped spinach and some grated mozz. to mine.

I haven't made meatballs in ages--but like to use a blend of pork-beef-veal or lamb. I also like turkey or chicken meatballs. I oven roast mine instead of browning them on the stove.

Thanks. Not as much as I expected with 1-1/2 lbs of meat.

Actually, this is my take on a Venetian(?) meatball, that is somewhat flattened, turned once and served with the sauce on the side. Braising meatballs in red wine is another favorite.

Show me your meatball takes. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom