Meatloaf, anything new?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
after thirty years of maraige..

my spuose told me last night 'your meatloaf is awfull.."

I understand that our tastes change over the years, and been making my meatlofe off the dry soup box for all these years..

should I add some horse radish or some thing..

Eric, Austin Tx.

Omigosh! Only one version of meatloaf all those years? I have a separate section in my recipe file just for meatloaf.

One of our favorites is Mexican-style, which is seasoned with taco seasoning and moistened with salsa. Crushed taco chips are used as a binder. Pretty darn good.

That's just one of many but it's the first one that comes to mind.

The bacon cheeseburger meatloaf is outstanding. However, I use a pound of bacon in the recipe.

Hi Eric. You're likely to find a billion recipes and ideas for meatloaf here! What was it that your love didn't like about it?

I LOVE meatloaf and make it pretty often. I usually go by one egg and about a quarter cup filler (oatmeal, dry bread crumbs, or fresh bread crumbs) per pound of meat. A good amount of salt and pepper for seasoning, a couple dashes of worcestershire sauce, and a little bit of chili sauce. I love bell peppers and onions, so I add quite a bit of those into the mix.

I shape it into a loaf and put it in a baking dish rather than stuff it in a loaf pan, so the heat can go all around it. About the last 20 minutes or so, I top with a layer of chili sauce.

One of the main reasons I make meatloaf is for the leftover sandwiches. :yum:

Here's one I made a few months ago. It was fresh out of the oven so it didn't have time to set up much, but the leftovers sliced up nice for great sammies for the next few days. :yum:

Attachments

• meat loaf.jpg
    meat loaf.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
This is my meatloaf recipe. DH loves it.

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
1 cup milk
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 garlic clove, finely chopped or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg
3 slices bread, torn into small pieces
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
1/2 cup catsup, chili sauce or barbecue sauce

Heat oven to 350°F. Mix all ingredients except ketchup. Spread mixture in ungreased loaf pan, 8 1/2×4 1/2×2 1/2 or 9x5x3 inches, or shape into 9×5-inch loaf in ungreased rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches. Spread catsup over top. Bake uncovered 1 1/2 hours.

Here's a twist a friend of mine shared with me:

Chicken/Turkey Parm Meatloaf

Ground chicken breast and ground chicken or turkey

(breast has almost no fat, "regular" ground chicken had 30 or 40% fat used 50/50 for a lean/ fat of 80/20 )

½ C Italian bread crumbs / lb
1 egg / lb
½ c marinara / lb
1 med onion diced / lb
2 cloves garlic or 3T roasted garlic / lb

Cook ½ onion and minced garlic in 1T butter and evo with a dash of Marsala cook on low 20-30 mins to roast
add rest fresh onions to the mix
½ C Provel cubes / lb (have also used Manchego, Asiago or Provolone)
½- C grated Romano /lb
¼ C Ricotta / lb
Italian Parsley 1/2C /lb
Fresh Basil to taste
Seasoned pepper and salt
Dash white Worcestershire

I mix everything except the meat together first then add the meat and adjust if necessary
The poultry will seem wet, don't fret! it's meant to be moist and will come together nicely during cooking
Put into loaf pans coated lightly with evo
Brush top with evo cover with foil for 45 minutes @ 375
Remove foil top with marinara cook for additional 30 minutes
Check temperature
top with Italian 6 cheese blend return to brown cheese.
Cook to internal temperature of 155-160
Let rest for 20-30 minutes before cutting

Serve with fresh pasta and roasted veggies top with marinara

Makes great meatballs too bake@ 400

alt topping
= parts panko and finely grated Parmesan cheese olive oil to moisten

Using your fingers, combine 1/3 cup of the panko, 1/3 cup of the Parmesan, and the measured 1T olive oil in a small bowl until evenly moistened
Sprinkle the panko-Parmesan mixture evenly over the tops of the meatloaf and gently press to adhere.

(I like the ground turkey best :yum: with the cheese topping )

The recipe that I use the most for meatloaf as well as meatballs is this:

½ lb. each, ground Beef, Pork
(I use Bulk Hot Italian Sausage for even more flavor)
and Veal (also look in the market for “Meatloaf Mix”)

½ C. Fresh Bread Crumbs (if you must, use the stuff in the blue can from the store)

1 Large Egg, beaten

1 Tbsp. dried Oregano

2 Garlic cloves, minced

4 Tbsp. Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped

Just enough Milk to moisten the bread

S&P to Taste

About 4-5 strips of Thick Cut Bacon

Preheat the oven to 350⁰F.

Line a 1/4 sheet pan with Aluminum Foil.

In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, herbs and spices.
Add just enough milk (or half and half, whatever you have) to moisten the bread, and mash it all up with a fork.
Mix in the beaten egg.
With impeccably clean hands, ;) gently combine the meat with the bread mixture.
Shape into a loaf form on the sheet pan and then enrobe with the BACON.

Bake for 1-1 1/4 hours until the internal temperature reads 160⁰F or the bacon is crisp.

meatloaf.jpeg

meatloafsupper.jpeg
{serving suggestion: with Roasted Potatoes and TJ's Soycutash}

Instead of just using ground beef, try 2 parts ground beef, 1 part ground Italian sausage. The spices in the sausages give it a zing, and the additional fat keeps it moist.

Another thing I do is make my own red sauce instead of putting ketchup on top.

I use 3 basic mixes for my meatloaf depending on my mood:
Home ground chuck/pork
Home ground chicken/pork
Home ground buffalo - need to be careful as this is very lean meat.

I use horseradish with all.

M

Use the Swedish meatball recipe batter, make in to a log, wrap with bacon and bake in the oven at 400 F for 35 mins.
Serve with mash.
That is what most Swedes do.. yeah one recipe 100 of uses.

I sometimes use lamb mince and add a bit of garlic, a tiny bit ground rosemary and some thyme. No bacon but instead equal amounts of soy and butter melted and brushed on top. Baked and serve with a salad, tzatziki and on pita bread.

My exhusband favorite was using the same mixture, a bag of taco spice mix, bell pepper finely chopped, chili and beans ( he never knew about the beans) and baked with two cans of salsa on the side and served with nachos and cream cheese . No veggies.

I know that I'm late to this discussion but I made my meatloaf tonight and it was meatloaf perfection. I've tweaked this recipe enough to call it mine.

Oven @ 375
3/4 lb ground chuck
1/4 lb choriso or if you can't find it, Italian sausage.
about 1/2 c small onion diced large
about 1/2 c green pepper diced the same as the onion
8 oz salsa (I like Pace picante)
1 egg
1/3 c quick cook oatmeal. (the oatmeal is the key)
s&p

Mix it all together gently with your hands. Don't over work it. Quit when it's well mixed. Form it into a loaf shape but don't stick it in a loaf pan. Top with a mixture of ketchup, good brown mustard, and brown sugar (taste it and make it in the proportions you like. (I like way less ketchup and brown sugar and more mustard than the original recipe called for, but all three ingredients are necessary)

Pop it in the 375 oven for an hour. Take out, let rest for a bit. You will adore it.

There's something about the quick cook oatmeal that absorbs the excess moisture flavors wandering around as it cooks and then departs them to the meat. I can't figure it. I've made meatloaf all different ways but I've never before used quick cook oatmeal. This is so moist and it holds together perfectly.

Sounds good, Liz - a nice spicy variation of meatloaf. Lots of good ideas here for meatloaf many different ways.

It's been fun going back through this thread, and the links to other threads. Saving this. :)

Low Carb/Low Fat Meat Loaf

Ingredients:

1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 Tbs light olive oil
1½ cups tomato sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 egg
¼ cup egg substitute
1 pound 90% lean ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup old fashioned oats
½ tsp Amoretti Garlic Oil Extract
½ tsp Amoretti Oregano Oil Extract

Instructions:

Sauté the onion, bell pepper, and celery in 2 Tbs of olive oil until they are soft, but not browned. Add the tomato sauce and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, and allow to cool. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat the oven to 375oF.

Whisk the egg, egg substitute, garlic oil extract and the oregano oil extract together in a large bowl. Combine the ground beef, ground turkey breast, and oats with the egg and mix thoroughly. Add ½ cup of the tomato sauce and combine the sauce with the meat mixture. Press the meat loaf mixture firmly into a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan, invert the loaf pan onto a broiler pan and remove the loaf pan. Bake the meat loaf in a 375oF oven for 1 hour. Slice the meatloaf into 8 servings and top each serving with 2 Tbs of tomato sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom