Meatloaf too salty - Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
My wonderful wife decided she wanted to cook dinner tonight. She has been trying to cook more, but it is still all very new to her. She took a huge step tonight and did not measure some things. Anyway, she used way too much salt and breadcrumbs. I can live with the extra breadcrumbs, but it is way too salty to eat.

I know normally with something like soup or stew we would just make another batch without salt and combine the two, but that will not work with meatloaf. Any ideas what we can do with it to make it palatable?

Too much salt? Do you want to eat it tonight? Probably not an option. Do you have a dog?:)

Otherwise, you might want to chop it up and add it to some "unsalted" beef broth and convert it to a beef stroganoff-type dish, with the addition of sour cream to temper it further. Serve over rice or noodles.

Nope we are done eating it tonight and no dog, just a cat. He won't go near it :LOL:

I like the idea of breaking it up and adding some broth. That could work quite well. Thanks Katie!

I was going to suggest that too. Chop it up and serve it as poor mans stroganoff. That would be good.

My wonderful wife decided she wanted to cook dinner tonight. She has been trying to cook more, but it is still all very new to her. She took a huge step tonight and did not measure some things. Anyway, she used way too much salt and breadcrumbs. I can live with the extra breadcrumbs, but it is way too salty to eat.

I know normally with something like soup or stew we would just make another batch without salt and combine the two, but that will not work with meatloaf. Any ideas what we can do with it to make it palatable?

Are you saying you won't eat food prepared by another if it doesn't suit your tastes? ;)
Send it to me. I love salt. If it's way too salty, and it would almost have to be dredged in NaCl, I will wipe it on my hand before swigging my tequila :LOL:

Seriously, I don't know anything that counteracts salt, especially if it's cooked. Turn it into something else and dilute with more ingredients, minus the salt. What Katie says.

I would chop it up add some crush tomatoes and some cooked penne, or even elbow macaroni. when all heated throw on some cheese.

quick goulash

pacanis, I actually did eat it. I am just worried about my salt intake. I think I ate enough salt for 2.5 years tonight :LOL:

I love all the suggestions so far guys. Keep em coming.

pacanis, I actually did eat it. I am just worried about my salt intake. I think I ate enough salt for 2.5 years tonight :LOL:

I love all the suggestions so far guys. Keep em coming.

You asked for it.... :ermm:
Is it snowing there? Do you have a food processor to grind the loaf back up into granules? Toss it on your driveway to melt..... OK, I'll stop :angel:

;)

I did. I also told her how much I loved that she cooked the meatloaf and that it did not matter it was too salty. We all make mistakes like that from time to time. She still just continued to apologize though.

We try not to waste food and if it can be turned into something good (which it obviously can by all the great suggestions above) then why not?

I like the chili idea. I have been craving chili lately so that is a really good idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom