Montreal Rub Rib Eye Steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I bought this rub because the color of the spices appealed to me.

I seasoned both sides of the steaks and grilled them over high heat to get a nice sear. They turned out great.

This is the second Grill Mates rub I've tried and was pleasantly surprised both times.

164_6209_steak.gif

Yep, a very popular rub among grillers. The coarsely ground salt and pepper mixed with the other seasonings works particularly well on grilled meats. It's QUITE peppery.

Try it on burgers, too, Jeeks.

Lee

Love the stuff and goes great on veggies to be grilled. Toss veggies in bag, add some EVOO, splash of soy sauce and a couple shakes of the MSS, and your good to go!!!

I use that same stuff sparingly on meats for the grill and supplement with s&p, it takes too much flavor away from the meat, for me, but I love it on homemade thick cut french fries with ranch dip. I use it to season chuck roasts I am searing for the crock pot, too. I think it's pretty verastile.

I bought this rub because the color of the spices appealed to me.

I seasoned both sides of the steaks and grilled them over high heat to get a nice sear. They turned out great.

This is the second Grill Mates rub I've tried and was pleasantly surprised both times.

164_6209_steak.gif

One of my favorites...

I buy it in the Costco sized jar. Love the stuff. Try it on your pork chops on the grill too. Mmmmmm!

Montreal is simply the best blend I've ever had. I've tried their "Chicago" - it's alright, but not great.

Montreal spices make for awesome scrambled eggs too, btw (with a bit of bacon grease as well).

" I run the stuff through a spice mill to make it finer....Anyone else???"

I put it in my mortar. Love the stuff (well, being born in Montreal and all...):LOL:

" I run the stuff through a spice mill to make it finer....Anyone else???"

I put it in my mortar. Love the stuff (well, being born in Montreal and all...):LOL:

Never occurred to me - might try that next time - more economical usage too, I'd imagine (less falling off).

I like it as well, as a change of pace.

I'm very partial to this:
225_11467_SteakRub.gif

for my steaks.

A little EVOO on a thick cut steak, a good application of either, a good sear in a skillet and a half hour in a 350-375 oven (med-rare, med) on a rack in a sheet pan. (Well done takes quite a bit of time, at LEAST 45 minutes cooking, probably closer to an hour. Still a great steak, unless you LIKE charcoal as a meal, rather than a fuel.). Baked potatoes can be done at the same time too (and timing them both to be done at the same time is fairly simple).

Tender and juicy steak, without having to haul out the grill from the garage.

Last edited:
Tender and juicy steak, without having to haul out the grill from the garage.

Keeping your grill in the garage is like keeping your everyday pan in the cellar :ohmy: Unless of course you have an attached garage and that's where you do your grilling :)

I'll have to give that sear and bake a try. Errr, I mean cooked in the oven. Didn't we just have this discussion? Or could you say broiled even though it wasn't under the broiler. Maybe roasted? :LOL:
Anyway, enough of you do it, so it must come out pretty good. It would just seem funny to me to eat a steak without grill marks :huh: But that's just me. I'm having ribs tonight so I don't have to worry about it :cool:

If I didn't worry about my grill (or just important pieces and parts, like the tank) growing legs and walking off by themselves, I'd keep it where I could get to it more often.

I'd build a fence, but I've got other home improvements that have to be budgeted first... New wiring is tops on the list followed by new insulation.

And anyway, it's more of a sear and slow-roast I guess. Did the whole shebang for family a couple weeks ago, 6 adult meals out of a single oven and stove. One well done steak, 5 mediums, and baked potatoes, corn and green beans. Timing was the hardest part... pretty much went like this: prepare potatoes, stick in oven. Prepare Well-Done steak, stick in oven. wait 10-20 minutes, prepare medium steaks, stick in oven. Wait about 25 minutes, put the corn and green beans on to warm (canned, I don't do fresh veggies often). Yank the steaks 5 minutes later, set aside to rest for 5 minutes. When the rest time is done, cut off the oven, yank potatoes and plate everything.

Last edited:
Great with shrimp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 lbs of EASY PEEL shrimp
1/2 cup EVOO
1/2- 3/4 of a bottle of montreal seasoning
Mix and marinate 4-8 hours a grill over hot flame until just done.
The shells will protect the shrimp from over cooking some.

Serve with good cold beer.

I get the most complimates out of this Montreal Steak is much spicier that the chicken one. I perfer the Montreal Chicken

We buy the 29 oz jars at Costco. The stuff is great.

Take a two inch steak, rub it on and grill, or pan fry and there is nothing better.

We had some 1.5" thick grilled ribeyes last night. That rub just doesn't get old. I have started running it through my mortar/pestle to give it a finer texture.

They turned out great.This is the second Grill Mates rub I've tried and was pleasantly surprised both times.

164_6209_steak.gif
I found all 4 flavors, the spicy, regular, chicken and hamburger at Pick and Save about 1 1/2 years ago. Bought 'em cause they were .99 each. I've enjoyed them too but was mostly happy they didn't contain MSG. KC Masterpiece does...

Back
Top Bottom