Ms. Mofet's Unstuffed Cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Ms. Mofet's Unstuffed Cabbage

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork
1 (14 oz.) ring smoked kielbasa - 1/4 ring chopped small for filling, 3/4 ring sliced into rounds for layers.
1 small onion (≈1/3 C.) - chopped fine
2 - 4 lg. cloves garlic - chopped fine
1 TBSP. Hungarian Sweet Paprika - or to taste
1/2 TBSP. Dry parsley
1/2 TBSP. Salt
1/2 TBSP. Ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. All-purpose Seasoning (I use my House blend) - to taste
1/4 tsp. Accent (optional)
1 (46 oz.) Tomato juice (I use Sacramento), additional if needed
1 (32 oz.) bag Sauerkraut, RESERVE juice
1/2 med. Head cabbage
1/2 C. Rice - Uncooked

Pinch Hungarian Hot Paprika - or to taste - OPTIONAL

Cut cabbage in half and remove core.
Cut cabbage into bite size pieces.

Mix beef, pork, spices, kielbasa, onion, garlic and rice. Mix well.

Use 1 TBSP. Scoop to portion out the meat mixture.

Make layers:

Place 1/3 of the chopped cabbage in bottom of 5.5 Qt. pot, then 1/3 of the sauerkraut and then 1/3 of the sliced kielbasa rounds.
Add meatballs and completely cover sliced kielbasa. Repeat the layer using another 1/3 of cabbage, sauerkraut and sliced kielbasa and remaining meatballs. The top layer will be the remaining cabbage, sauerkraut and place sliced kielbasa on top. Fill pot with the sauerkraut juice and tomato juice.

Cover pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until filling is completely cooked (meat temp. 165 °F) and rice is cooked.
Add more tomato juice if needed.

unstuffed_cabbage_091320_IMG_7157.jpg

This sounds great! Copied for later!
Thank you, Kathleen.

The unstuffed cabbage was so easy to prep. I used a 1 TBSP. scoop to make the meatballs and it worked very nicely. I always hated making rolls. Not only because it was a pain to separate the leaves but the rolls always got broken when serving. This way was easy to prep and serve. It can be eaten with a spoon. No messy leaves that need to be cut to bite size.

Sounds like a great cold weather dish!

I think that I would serve the stew over a bed of plain white rice.

Last edited:
An idea:ohmy:

Omit the sour kraut, and add grated Parmesan cheese on each layer. You could then call in cabbage lasagna. I even think the Parmesan/Romano mix in the green can would work very well with this. Maybe add some black pepper too.

That being said, Ms. Moffet, your recipe looks wonderful just as it is. I just never quit trying new ideas. They just pop into my head, all the time.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom