My meatloaf dilemma....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief Longwind - Your Mexican Volcano sounds great and my step children would really love it, but not my DH. He is not an adverturous person with eating and also would never eat Mexican. But my step children lived in LA for a while with their mother and got used to Mexican food. At Christmas, I always make a Mexican style dip or side dish for them.

Rob, the meatloaf doesn't stew in it's own fat if you use the pan with the holes in the bottom for the fat to drain, and a loaf pan makes it just the right size to cut slices for sandwiches. But someone also had the idea to shape it in the loaf pan then turn it out on a broiler pan to bake. I might try that.

Just make sure your loaf isn't soupy or it will fall apart when you turn it out onto the sheet pan. And I know the pan you are referring to with the holes. You are right. It doesn't sit in the fat stewing. I use tomato paste instead of ketchup to get that tomato taste in my meat loaf on the rare occasions I attempt to make one. Good luck. :angel:

Ok, I'm back. I made meatloaf last night, did not put it in a loaf pan but baked it on an open pan with drainage holes. It got a nice crust on the outside, but still crumbled when sliced. The leftovers have been refrigerated overnight and still crumble when sliced. After doing some more online searches I saw a comment that said not to use meat that has been frozen because it gets water in it. That might be my problem. Years back when I made it I bought my meat when I needed it. Now that we're retired and there's just the two of us, I separate my packages of meat and freeze what I'm not using right away, so my meatloaf now is always made from frozen meat. The next time, I will buy freshly ground meat and try that. I am determined to make a meatloaf that results in nice slices!! LOL

I didn't notice until late in the topic that it was a revived topic. But...

The recipe in the OP used too much egg--just 1 egg is just right. Also, don't put any ketchup in the mixture. Put the ketchup on top after the loaf is formed. My own family recipe substitutes Homade (brand) chile sauce for the ketchup and it tastes great!

When I make my chicken meatloaf I form the loaf and place it on a rack sitting on a cookie sheet (covering the sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up). I have a few half-sheet heavy duty racks bought at a restaurant supply store but an ordinary cake cooling rack would work fine too.

I invented my chicken meatloaf recipe myself but my beef meatloaf has been perfected since I was a kid and mom cooked it, and I've never seen any reason to change it--it gets cooked in an ordinary bread pan and it's always used the Homade chili sauce as the topping. I don't know if Homade is nationally available but consider trying it if you can find it. It's more like chunky style ketchup and is not a hot sauce (it's no more spicy than ordinary ketchup).

I didn't notice until late in the topic that it was a revived topic. But...

The recipe in the OP used too much egg--just 1 egg is just right. Also, don't put any ketchup in the mixture. Put the ketchup on top after the loaf is formed. My own family recipe substitutes Homade (brand) chile sauce for the ketchup and it tastes great!

When I make my chicken meatloaf I form the loaf and place it on a rack sitting on a cookie sheet (covering the sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up). I have a few half-sheet heavy duty racks bought at a restaurant supply store but an ordinary cake cooling rack would work fine too.

I invented my chicken meatloaf recipe myself but my beef meatloaf has been perfected since I was a kid and mom cooked it, and I've never seen any reason to change it--it gets cooked in an ordinary bread pan and it's always used the Homade chili sauce as the topping. I don't know if Homade is nationally available but consider trying it if you can find it. It's more like chunky style ketchup and is not a hot sauce (it's no more spicy than ordinary ketchup).

I have to have the ketchup in the meatloaf. I don't like the taste of it without it. I don't think that would have anything to do with it falling apart because I have done that all my life and my mother did too.

Carol, could you post your recipe?

I don't measure ingredients.

About 1 1/2 lb ground meat-sometimes more
1 egg, or two
finely chopped onion-about a half an onion
1/2 c bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
salt, pepper, celery salt, parsley flakes
couple squirts of ketchup

This is pretty much the way I have done it for years. I used to bake it in a loaf pan, but in recent years I have put it in a casserole dish with cut up potatoes and poured tomato soup right out of the can over the potatoes. I bake it at 350 for at least an hour depending on the size of the meatloaf. It would be covered with foil for the first 30 min, then I would uncover just the meatloaf and leave the potatoes covered. I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes before cutting it. I would let it sit longer, but my husband is ready to eat as soon as it comes out of the oven. LOL For years I made a meat loaf in a loaf pan every Sunday for my husband's meatloaf sandwiches for work the following week. It sliced up very nicely. I'm not doing anything differently as far as I know. Yesterday, I baked the meatloaf uncovered the whole time and cooked the potatoes in a separate pan. Sill fell apart.

Normally I'd say two eggs would be OK and add more bread crumbs because the ketchup is added liquid.

However, if this recipe has been successful in the past, those are probably not the right answers. The only other thing I can think of is it needs to be thoroughly mixed so the ingredients are evenly distributed and pressed into shape firmly so it stays together.

Try this: Firmly press the prepared meat into your loaf pan so the meat is pressed together, then turn it out onto your casserole dish for baking.

If that doesn't help, I'm at a loss.

Does you ground meat have a different fat content from before?

I've used this recipe for about 30 years, with a couple of alterations: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/savory-meat-loaf/45f115c8-283b-4e79-8108-d252643ca66a

I use 1.5 lbs of 85% lean ground beef and 1 lb ground pork. I usually increase the sage to 1 tsp dried. The milk and bread together help bind the meat and keep it juicy. When I take it out of the oven, I pour off the fat to use for making gravy.

I don't think a couple squirts of ketchup would change the texture much. It makes great sandwiches. Hope this helps.

Carol, my "too much ketchup" was directed to the OP although he/she is probably long gone. Your "couple squirts" wouldn't have any significant effect.

I compared your recipe with my family recipe (realized mine calls for 2 eggs...) and the only real difference I could see was that you use bread/cracker crumbs. My recipe calls for 3 slices of whole wheat bread, cubed and mixed into the meat mixture. My meatloaf always hangs together so if you're willing to consider the bread that might help you. Oh, and do not discard the crust. Use all the bread. You might use 4 slices since my standard recipe is for 1 pound of beef.

BTW mine cooks at 325° for 45 minutes.

Last edited:
I have for you another piece of the crumbly meatloaf solution. Ever notice how very lean ground beef tends to crumble, and not hold together? Make sure that the ground meat has at about 30% fat in it. The fat holds the lean meat tissue together.

About the comment about frozen meat holding extra water; The water was always there, in the muscle cells. When the meat is frozen, the water expands and tears the cell walls, freeing up the water to flow. The starchy crumbs will absorb and hold that water in the loaf, or you could simply add a little flour to do the same thing.

I find that unless you make specialized meat loaves as i do, the primary flavors are cooked onion, salt, well done ground beef/pork, and maybe a little garlic. Added milk and crumbs add another layer of sweetness to the meatloaf, and soften the texture. Egg adds no flavor, but helps bind the structure together, and hold in moisture. Fat renders out, and carries away fat soluble flavors. Tne topping adds a contrasting flavor to the sometimes bland loaf.

Additions that enhance flavor include onion, garlic, sage, salt, black pepper. After that, you can further incorporate other flavors, such as Southwestern/Tex-Mex, by adding cumin, chili powder, peppers, coriander, chopped mushroom, etc.

You can make it Middle Eastern by using ground lam/goat/venison with currie powder, cumin, cinnamon, etc, topping with a Tzaziki Sauce.

Fro something more Italian, go with oregano, basil, minced carrot, marjoram, and Parmisan or Asiago cheese.

For french flavors, add celery, carrot, onion, and top with a nice Sauce Supreme, or an Espanole.

I sometimes make a chicken meatloaf flavored with finely chopped celery, onion, soy sauce, 5 spice powder, garlic, and topped with sweet and sour sauce.

Too much filler, i.e. breadcrumbs, cracker crumbs, etc., will make the loaf too soft, and mushy. Too lean ground meat will make it crumbly and dry. Too much fat will make it greasy. The loaf should read about 165' F. in the middle when done. Overcooking will dry it out. Under cooking will be dangerous.

You can tailor the meatloaf however you want, as long as there is sufficient meat, and the flavors compliment each other.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Carol, my "too much ketchup" was directed to the OP although he/she is probably long gone. Your "couple squirts" wouldn't have any significant effect.

I compared your recipe with my family recipe (realized mine calls for 2 eggs...) and the only real difference I could see was that you use bread/cracker crumbs. My recipe calls for 3 slices of whole wheat bread, cubed and mixed into the meat mixture. My meatloaf always hangs together so if you're willing to consider the bread that might help you. Oh, and do not discard the crust. Use all the bread. You might use 4 slices since my standard recipe is for 1 pound of beef.

BTW mine cooks at 325° for 45 minutes.

I don't know if I or my husband would like the cubed bread, but I might consider using soft bread crumbs made in my food processor with fresh bread rather than the commerecial bread crumbs. It might absorb the liquid better. I am going to try using freshly ground beef before I make any other changes. I usually buy a medium fat ground beef, maybe 85/15.

...I am going to try using freshly ground beef before I make any other changes. I usually buy a medium fat ground beef, maybe 85/15.

I don't think fresh vs. frozen will make a difference. You should have no problem with 85%/15% ground beef.

This recipe has always worked for me. I use previously frozen beef and turkey that have been thawed in the refrigerator, and then brought to room temperature:

LOW CARB/LOW FAT MEAT LOAF

1 pound 90% ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup oatmeal
½ onion, diced
½ bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 eggs
1 Tbs oregano
½ cup tomato sauce
2 Tbs olive oil

Sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery in 2 Tbs olive oil until soft. Add garlic and continue to sauté until onions are transparent. Add tomato sauce and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes then allow to cool. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add ground beef, ground turkey breast, oatmeal, and oregano to bowl, mix thoroughly, then add sauce to bowl and combine. Pat tightly into loaf pan and turn out onto a broiler pan. Bake in 375F oven for 1 hour. Makes 8 servings.

Total protein per serving – 17.0g
Total carbs per serving – 3.5g
Total fat per serving – 9.0g

I don't think fresh vs. frozen will make a difference. You should have no problem with 85%/15% ground beef.

Andy, there is more water in the thawed hamburger than the fresh. I thawed out a one pound blocked of frozen hamburger to make some burgers for my supper last night. When it was all thawed out, there was a pool of water sitting at the bottom of the bowl. I took a clean dish towel and wrung out the rest of the moisture. I replaced some of it with a bit of milk. Just enough to tenderize the meat. I also noticed that the individual strands of meat that come through the cutter are not very distinct when the meat is frozen. Not like when it is freshly just ground. :angel:

Meatloaf is one of those things that was invented to use up leftover bits and pieces. The meat doesn't have to be in perfect condition, either. I've never had a problem using fresh or frozen over the years.

Andy, there is more water in the thawed hamburger than the fresh...

I realize that, Addie. I almost always use frozen ground meats for meatloaf. When making meatloaf, you add breadcrumbs, oatmeal, etc specifically to absorb moisture. It shouldn't be an issue.

I just want to state an opinion, that fresh ground meat and frozen ground meat should have he same amount of water. It's just that freezing breaks the cellular tissue and causes the water to seep out and freeze separately. When you thaw it it seems more wet because this water has emerged to the surface, but when you mix it in a recipe there should be the same amount of water as before. As Andy says, just add more bread crumbs if that's a problem.

I just want to state an opinion, that fresh ground meat and frozen ground meat should have he same amount of water. It's just that freezing breaks the cellular tissue and causes the water to seep out and freeze separately. When you thaw it it seems more wet because this water has emerged to the surface, but when you mix it in a recipe there should be the same amount of water as before. As Andy says, just add more bread crumbs if that's a problem.

That's what I said three or four posts up. You just said it with fewer words.:LOL: Good job.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for sharing :)

This recipe has always worked for me. I use previously frozen beef and turkey that have been thawed in the refrigerator, and then brought to room temperature:

LOW CARB/LOW FAT MEAT LOAF

1 pound 90% ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup oatmeal
½ onion, diced
½ bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 eggs
1 Tbs oregano
½ cup tomato sauce
2 Tbs olive oil

Sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery in 2 Tbs olive oil until soft. Add garlic and continue to sauté until onions are transparent. Add tomato sauce and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes then allow to cool. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add ground beef, ground turkey breast, oatmeal, and oregano to bowl, mix thoroughly, then add sauce to bowl and combine. Pat tightly into loaf pan and turn out onto a broiler pan. Bake in 375F oven for 1 hour. Makes 8 servings.

Total protein per serving – 17.0g
Total carbs per serving – 3.5g
Total fat per serving – 9.0g

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom