New York Strips....need ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I've got a few beautiful new york strips sitting in the fridge just waiting patiently for me to grill them tomorrow.

Anyone want to give me some ideas on how to jazz them up. I have an abundance of spices and condiments available.

What's your favorite way to prepare a steak?

Thanks!

This is my favorite rub. Rub this into the meat the anywhere from the day before to just before you grill the steaks.

1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp light brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of salt

I have moved this to the Beef forum.

How jazzy do you want to get. If you want to impress, butterfly the new york strips and place sliced, saute'd prtabello mushrooms in the middle, along with some black pepper and good swiss cheese, then fold the two sides back together and secure with toothpicks. The grill em for 3 minutes per side. Plate with some coloful veggies, maybe some smoked bell peppers and a green, leafy salad.

That makes a very nice meal.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Grilled Mustard-Pepper Strip Steaks

081205steak.jpg

Ingredients:

cup apple juice or apple cider

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

2 tablespoons coarse-grind Dijon-style mustard

4 large cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon coarse-grind black pepper

4 boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds)

Directions:

To make the mustard-pepper sauce, combine apple juice or cider, parsley, mustard, garlic and pepper in small bowl. Remove and reserve 1/4 cup for basting. Brush steaks with remaining sauce.

Prepare grill. Place steaks on grate over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill 15 to 18 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Baste steaks with reserved 1/4 cup sauce during last 10 minutes of grilling. Remove steaks from grill; serve. Makes 4 servings.

Hey Alix....I've never heard of tahini sauce.....where in the grocery store should I look for it? Also, whats 2-2-2-2 mean? And yes I do have that seasoning in my cabinet.
Wow Goodweed.........now thats more than I thought of but soundsabsolutely delicious. DH wouldn't care for the mushroom but oh well all the more for me.
Rainee.....that sounds really good. Wished I had some apple juice or cider unfort. I've been to the store already once today and I don't really feel like going there again.
I'll def. be cutting/pasting all your ideas.
Thanks again to all of you!

Sorry to be away so long Sizz. Computer crashed AGAIN! Tahini is in the store either in the Peanut butter section (it is ground sesame seeds) or in the Ethnic section. It is quite a popular item so just ask a clerk, they will help you get it.

The 2-2-2-2 thing is 2 minutes on one side, flip for 2 minutes, flip again for 2 minutes and then again for the final 2 minutes. This makes a perfect medium rare steak on the grill.

Good luck Sizz, hope I was in time with the answer!

Raine said:

Ingredients:

cup apple juice or apple cider

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

2 tablespoons coarse-grind Dijon-style mustard

4 large cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon coarse-grind black pepper

4 boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds)

Directions:

To make the mustard-pepper sauce, combine apple juice or cider, parsley, mustard, garlic and pepper in small bowl. Remove and reserve 1/4 cup for basting. Brush steaks with remaining sauce.

Prepare grill. Place steaks on grate over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill 15 to 18 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Baste steaks with reserved 1/4 cup sauce during last 10 minutes of grilling. Remove steaks from grill; serve. Makes 4 servings.

Rainee; This sauce sounds like it would be incredible on ham steaks, or rib-end pork chops as well. Add a bit of the right hardwood for a smokey accent and that would be amazing. It also would work to coat the skin of poultry. I think you have an all-around winner here.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

heck, dip em in bleach and boil em. No stop, I thought you said streaks, but you said steaks...ummmmm, I like a teriaki marinade, or a dijon marinade, or a dry rub with some kick...cayenne, oregano, paprika, garlic, onion, black and white peper,

I also like Pub Sauce rather than American steak sauces, although a couple NY steak houses have bottled their sauces now and they are really fine alternatives.

Thanks for getting back with me Alix.....2-2-2-2.....I'll def. remember that as medium rare is my favorite way to eat my steak.Thanks for the ideas everyone..........you got my creative juices flowing.

Robo410 said:
I also like Pub Sauce rather than American steak sauces, although a couple NY steak houses have bottled their sauces now and they are really fine alternatives.

Hey Robo410, what is Pub Sauce?

Back
Top Bottom