Non Cheese Ingredient for Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

battleangela

Assistant Cook
Hi

My fiance is Jewish and I am trying to make a pin-wheel steak for her just to try something different. I use 1 flank steak, with a package of spinach, a little cilantro, lemon, peppers, and some pepper jack cheese. Now the problem is the cheese. Since she can not have dairy with meats, can anyone recommend an ingredient that would complement the steak like the pepper jack cheese ? Thanks

I think it sounds terrific even without the cheese!

Some mustard and fresh bread crumbs might bind everything. If you want to stray from the cilantro you could do a cheese-less pesto type spread or kalamata tapenade. I have actually made cilantro pesto before, which would be tasty here, too.

I was also thinking of bread crumbs or a stuffing. Mix some olive oil and Dijon mustard together then combine with breadcrumbs. To this mixture you could add of course, salt and pepper, then you could add either some rosemary, or oregano, or cilantro (I would add a bit of lime and ground cumin if using cilantro),

Line your steak with spinach leaves, thin julienne slices of red pepper and carrots, then add the mixture above. Or you can put this mixture next to the neat and make the spinach and veggies a center - that's probably what I would do.

there is no reason you couldn't just leave the dairy out. A savory stuffed flank is a fine thing, I make mine with no dairy what so ever and it is delish. A great way to showcase what you can do with a cheap cut of meat.

Thanks everybody for the help. I will use the bread crumbs mix, kitchenelf recommended. Though I would like to use the cilantro with cumin and lime since I am in Miami and got to keep it spicy :chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom