Not Your Traditional Shepherds Pie TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spice1133

Senior Cook
When I first got my computer I printed most everything underlined and in caps. :ermm: This was in our local paper some years ago and is very good.

SHEPHERDS PIE

3 tablespoons oil

3 onions, finely chopped

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

1 1/2 pound lean ground beef

1 (14 1/2 ounce) whole peeled tomatoes

1/2 small can tomato paste

2 bouillon cubes

1 heaping tablespoon flour

1 cup white wine

3/4 cup water

salt and pepper to taste

3 large potatoes

3 ounces butter

1 cup milk

Salt and pepper to taste

3 carrots

2 tablespoon grated cheese

HEAT 3 TABLESPOONS OF OIL IN A LARGE FRYING PAN OVER LOW HEAT. ADD 3 FINELY CHOPPED MEDIUM ONIONS AND 3 FINELY CHOPPED GARLIC CLOVES. COOK UNTIL SOFT. TURN UP HEAT AND ADD 1 ½ POUNDS GROUND BEEF OR GROUND LAMB, STIRRING UNTIL IT IS WELL BROWNED.

DRAIN OFF FAT AND ADD 1-14 ½ OUNCE CAN OF TOMATOES, AND ½ SMALL CAN TOMATO PASTE TO THE PAN ALONG WITH 2 BOUILLON CUBES AND 1 HEAPING TABLESPOON FLOUR. MIX WELL AND COOK FOR A MINUTE BEFORE ADDING 1 CUP WHITE WINE AND 3/4 CUP WATER. SEASON WELL WITH SALT AND PEPPER AND ADD ½ TEASPOON TARRAGON. (OPTIONAL) SIMMER GENTLY FOR 15 MINUTES.

MEANWHILE PEEL COOK AND MASH 3 LARGE POTATOES. ADD 3 OUNCES BUTTER AND 1 CUP MILK TO POTATOES AND SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER.

ALSO PEEL AND SLICE 3 CARROTS AND COOK IN SMALL AMOUNT OF BOILING WATER.

PUT THE MEAT MIXTURE IN A LARGE WELL-GREASED SOUFFLÉ OR BAKING DISH. SPREAD CARROTS OVER MEAT AND PUT THE MASHED POTATOES ON TOP, COMPLETELY COVERING THE MEAT AND CARROTS. SPRINKLE 2 TABLESPOONS GRATED PARMESAN OR ROMANO CHEESES OVER THE POTATOES AND BAKE UNCOVERED FOR 35 MINUTES IN 375 F. OVEN. PLACE UNDER THE BROILER FOR A FEW MINUTES TO BROWN THE TOP.

It would, but we never have icy weather so we let the air conditioner take over and just cook whatever, whenever. :D

We don't get a lot of icy weather in Seattle either.. but, we do have our share of cold nights during the winter months.

I love Seattle, only been there a couple of times but what a great city. The market fasinated me and I remember wanting one of the big bunches of fresh flowers but knew I couldn't take them on the plane with me. *sigh* We went whale watching and saw bunches of them and took a sea plane to Victoria. Waaa I want to go back. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom